The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2022, 06:03 PM   #3001
daveshilling

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Wiped her down, checked tire air and took her out to lunch & for a few errands. Love it but also I worry like an old hen. People always walk up to look and I’m afraid they’ll scratch her. But as someone told me, “What are you saving it for, a museum?!” Of course they’re right but still fret about it.

Maybe I should have left it in its old rattle can shop truck look and just done the mechanicals only!
Just make peace and let it get scratched...once you get a few dings you can relax, I hope! This is one of the main reasons I won't paint a truck. I want to enjoy driving it, not worry about what happens to my precious paint job, and focus on what I'm doing instead of thinking about the truck in the parking lot and doing a walk-around-inspection each time.

Life's too short, it's time to get your dings and scratches as proof that you've out living!

Edit: 3000th Comment!! It's a sign that I have spoken the wisdom and you must get out and drive the heck out of that truck and don't sweat the scratches.

Last edited by daveshilling; 12-18-2022 at 06:52 PM.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:23 AM   #3002
dsraven

get in and drive it man!
you can park it in the garage and polish and shine it and keep it all nice but then inadvertently scratch it or drop something on it there too. might as well just get in and drive it. you wouldn't buy a new truck and then not drive it, right?
get'er done.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:36 AM   #3003
Dan in Pasadena

I'll likely always worry about my "precious paint job". It cost too damn much not to care about keeping it nice. But I keep the paint on my daily drivers as nice as I can too.

Finally took her out to lunch today to "the Village" - the old town area here in Glendora. Parked it right in front of the restaurant where I ate and since there was lots of seating I sat in a spot where I could see her.

Only one couple walked over and looked at her, looked through the window but didn't touch her. As I was leaving another customer said "nice truck" and of course I like hearing that.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:21 AM   #3004
daveshilling

Quote:
I'll likely always worry about my "precious paint job". It cost too damn much not to care about keeping it nice. But I keep the paint on my daily drivers as nice as I can too.

Finally took her out to lunch today to "the Village" - the old town area here in Glendora. Parked it right in front of the restaurant where I ate and since there was lots of seating I sat in a spot where I could see her.

Only one couple walked over and looked at her, looked through the window but didn't touch her. As I was leaving another customer said "nice truck" and of course I like hearing that.
Okay, I'll just suggest it then.. come to the patina dark side. We have cookies. And we put our beers on the truck if we want.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:15 PM   #3005
Dan in Pasadena

Just a quick addition to my thread:

My adult nephew surprised me with these 1951 California license plates yesterday. I’m VERY excited to have them. I’ve always wanted some but they’re ridiculously expensive IF you can even find a matching pair. I’ve seen asking prices over $500 a pair. Currently on eBay one ‘55 corner tag is for sale for $100!

I plan to restore these whether they are DMV-clear or not. Nephew says he’s had them many years so they’re likely clear but of course I have to officially check. They’re rough but there is no rust-through, no metal tears (well, one tiny one at mounting hole) or cracks - except in one vintage frame which I will fix, of course.

I don’t know plates of the era well enough to know if these are commercial plates? Anyone here know? Even if not I’ll use them. I never carry anything in my truck bed and I doubt a cop would know or care. No idea why someone painted the sides yellow but no matter, I’ll take them back to “correct”
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-05-2023 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:53 PM   #3006
Dan in Pasadena

Wiped her down, gassed her up, and took her out for a ride to the "village" today for lunch. Got a lot of thumbs up and a couple of questions.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2023, 12:53 AM   #3007
dsraven

looks great out in the elements. you gotta take it out and enjoy it more.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:53 AM   #3008
oldman3

Nice to see it out...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:28 AM   #3009
dsraven

do you know anybody with a big growly pitbull, with a studded collar and a big bark? maybe you could borrow him for outings and leave him in the box when the truck is parked in a lot. nobody likes to park next to those big grumpy looking dogs. of course, he could also scratch the paint I suppose.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:49 PM   #3010
daveshilling

Quote:
Wiped her down, gassed her up, and took her out for a ride to the "village" today for lunch. Got a lot of thumbs up and a couple of questions.
Dan, move up here to Roseville, you can join our truck club and then you'd have plenty excuse to take her out!
Old 03-19-2023, 11:58 PM   #3011
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
Dan, move up here to Roseville, you can join our truck club and then you'd have plenty excuse to take her out!
I actually go through Roseville about every other year. My girlfriend's two sisters live in Auburn so we drive right past. But in my Jeep or my RV. Thanks for the invite though!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-20-2023 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:14 PM   #3012
daveshilling

Quote:
I actually go through Roseville about every other year. My girlfriend's two sisters live in Auburn so we drive right past. But in my Jeep or my RV. Thanks for the invite though!
You'll have to stop by for a beer next time
Old 03-22-2023, 02:14 PM   #3013
59chev

Quote:
Looks great!! The thumbs up and the conversations it starts is what makes it all worthwhile.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:09 AM   #3014
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59chev View Post
Looks great!! The thumbs up and the conversations it starts is what makes it all worthwhile.
Well, it IS gratifying to know other people appreciate it. First question is nearly always, "What year is it?" Then...

What color is it? How long have you owned it? Did you restore it all yourself? Of course I don't bother to explain it isn't "restored".

Old 03-25-2023, 11:50 PM   #3015
Dan in Pasadena

Back to the era-correct 1951 license plates in post #3005:

A friend from another forum with VERY good equipment is restoring the plates for me. Yesterday he tapped out the minor dents, sandblasted, and primered them 2 coats in automotive grade paint. He then painted them black and will let that cure a few days before taping them completely. Then by sanding the tape off the numbers & letters gently the yellow will only be applied to the raised numerals. Easy peasy. They will look as good as new since these plated were in VERY good condition - in terms of the metal - as they were and honestly? They weren't all that nice looming brand new in 1951!

Does anyone know why this era plate has the additional two holes top and bottom in the middle compared to modern plates? I thought it was something done to these by a former owner but searching online they all have them. Weird.

PS: A little metal corner tag for 55 that goes on this plate in good condition is $120!! Holy moly. A crappy, rusty one is $85. Sheesh. Anyone know a cheaper source? Better yet, anyone HAVE one they will sell me cheaper than these?
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2023, 10:03 AM   #3016
dsraven

well, now you done it. you're gonna hafta build a 51 to match the plates. haha
Old 03-26-2023, 04:19 PM   #3017
Dan in Pasadena

Ha, ha....I've always wanted the era correct plates for it because '55 was the last year for the old longer plates with the big rounded corners. Of course they'd have probably looked better on it when it was in its shop truck look, but oh well.

Now, as I said I've gotta bite the bullet and get the little 55 metal corner tag. Ugh, $120.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-27-2023 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:47 AM   #3018
dsraven

use the gas money you saved from not DRIVING THE TRUCK.
haha
hadda do it. sorry. it's Sunday, you gotta forgive me.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:20 PM   #3019
Dan in Pasadena

So I bit the bullet yesterday and spent a ridiculous $120 for the tiny '55 corner tag for these plates. I also bought the little tabs used to hold the 2023 and month stickers and new chrome oversize plate frames. UGH!
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2023, 03:35 PM   #3020
nvrdone

Im confused. how can you run a '51 plate on a '55 truck and with 2023 tabs??? Wont CHP get after you??
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 12:05 PM   #3021
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
Im confused. how can you run a '51 plate on a '55 truck and with 2023 tabs??? Wont CHP get after you??
No, they will not. 1951 was the last year for the larger, rounded corner license plates. They were used up until 1955 if you had the metal corner tab indicating the year of the vehicle. When you got new plates each year you tossed the old ones or hung them on a nail in the garage. The reason they are somewhat hard to find now.

Later plates used stickers for the year & month of renewal so millions of new plates didn't have to be made. Prisoner were getting tired I suppose, ha ha. You just put stickers on the old plates via other little metal tabs attached to the bolts holding the plate. Nowadays they make license plate frames that incorporate the stickers.

It's not done by many - I assume because of the cost. DMV-clear, restored early California plates go for a LOT of money. I've already seen them priced at $895 a set. YIKERS, that's crazy. If it weren't for Don helping me I'd have rattle canned these and lived with them.

I've got another couple hundred just in the corner tag, the frames, etc.

PS: Mine aren't commercial plates as they probably should be for a pickup. I don't cary anything in the bed but if I did AND if a cop wants, to they could ticket me. Hopefully the DMV won't give me a problem when I go to switch my later black plate to these early ones.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-28-2023 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 04:50 PM   #3022
Dan in Pasadena

I picked up the completed plates this morning. They look GOOOD.

Don complained they aren't "perfect" but of course they're 72 years old! Nothing approaching that age (he's 75 and I'm 68) are perfect either, ha ha. The edges of the yellow letters are a tiny bit sharp. He suggested I give them a coat of rattle can clear. That will bury those edges and make them closer to perfect. I asked if just ordinary Rustoleum and he said yes. He knows his business so I probably will do it.

Pictures here shortly.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:30 PM   #3023
57tailgater

Quote:
I picked up the completed plates this morning. They look GOOOD.

Don complained they aren't "perfect" but of course they're 72 years old! Nothing approaching that age (he's 75 and I'm 68) are perfect either, ha ha. The edges of the yellow letters are a tiny bit sharp. He suggested I give them a coat of rattle can clear. That will bury those edges and make them closer to perfect. I asked if just ordinary Rustoleum and he said yes. He knows his business so I probably will do it.

Pictures here shortly.
Are you using UV resistant clear?
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:26 AM   #3024
Dan in Pasadena

Haven't done it yet.

Don recommended rattle can clear. I don't know if any of that is UV resistant but I'm not all that concerned about it because the truck is always parked inside my garage. It's literally outdoors only when I drive it to the local Old Town for lunch or dinner in the summertime.