The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #26
davee60

Re: Ecklers trucks headliner kit

OK, here's the latest on the headliner... I finally got time to take it in to the upholstery shop. They took a shot at putting it up, but the material was just too heavy for the bows to support it. They ended up using the supplied vinyl as a pattern to make a new headliner with lighter material. They did use the supplied bows and clips. I just got off the phone with the shop, so I haven't seen the result yet, but they assured me it came out awesome. I'll pick it up today and get some pics posted soon, but I wanted to report on it right away.

Sorry for the delay getting info out, but I hope this helps someone. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #27
zden

Bummer it did not work out of the box but sounds like you got to use most of the kit. I'll be on the lookout for pics
zden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:06 PM   #28
davee60

Well let me first say that I wouldn't bother with the kit from Ecklers, especially the vinyl. MAYBE the "napped cloth" or "nylon cloth" kits would work. The kit is actually manufactured by Acme Auto Headlining in Long Beach, Calif. When I showed the kit to the upholstery shop owner (Pete), his first comment was, "Wow this material is REALLY heavy...". He ended up using the bows and the clips from the kit, but he re-made the headliner with a much lighter weight velour type material. I think it came out great.

I think if you could find or make some bows to match the roof line in the Suburban, a good upholstery shop could do the rest. Hopefully this helps someone. In the end, I'm happy with my finished product, but it probably cost me more.
Attached Images