The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
Ta2edjr

72 k5 project bucket o rust

I have decided to start a build thread on the 72 blazer my dad and I are building....I'd say at the moment we are about 40% of the way done so I'll try and spend the next couple days getting everyone up to speed.....but first the awesome back story that started this project....
Some time in the summer/fall of 2013 my dad found a 72 4x4 k5 that was all original in a town about 30 minutes away...the truck spent most of it's time in Cincinnati being used as a snow removal vehicle. Needless to say the blazer was in awful shape and that's putting it nicely. None the less we decided to drive it the 30 min home..no truck and trailer at the time...our venture home took us almost 2 1/2 hours. What I remember most about the trip is me being in the chase vehicle and everytime dad would hit a bump in the road. Multiple licesne plates would scatter on the road. By the time we got it to his house there was nothing left of the floor boards. He spent the next couple years replacing body panels and fixing all the rust... hence the thread title... he put a 4 inch lift kit on it and never really drove it much.. thr problem was that the frame was in horrible shape and would flex more than it should. Pics will show what I mean..so it set for a while..until about 2 months ago I found a 72 2wd shortbed bare frame and that's when the gears started turning...so without further delay here are some pics of the blazer...the first picture is soon after we removed the top. It was literally the only thing holding the bedside together...the last pic is what it looked like before we started the 2wd frame swap
Attached Images

Ta2edjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
Ta2edjr

Re: 72 k5 project bucket o rust

So 5 years later I'm browsing Facebook and see a 72 short wheel base bare frame that had been sandblasted and primered for sale...after doing some research I figured anything was possible so I pulled the trigger and went and picked it up..it had some pitting but nothing that really scared me...it was in 100x better shape than the 4x4 frame..

So this leads me to our plans with the blazer.. it will be converted to 2wd static lowered with a ls 4.8 and nv3500 trans. Here are some pics of the shortbed frame
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
Ta2edjr

I checked the frame for square and to my surprise it was in good shape no bends or twists and it has trailing arm crossmember which 2wd blazers had...so after much research and printing out frame diagrams and alot measuring...you can take a shortbed frame and cut it down to fit a blazer...its thr exact same concept of a long bed to shortbed conversion..and I will try to go into detail on how we cut down the frame...the difference between a swb and k5 wheelbase is 11 Inches this 11 inches gets removed in the middle of the frame between the rear cab mount and the front cab mount. I step cut my frame and then welded fish plates on the inside..I am confident in my welding. I am not up for discussion on which is the right and wrong way. I only did it the way I know how and I hope those reading this can appreciate that..so the best part....pictures!!!
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Ta2edjr

So I've got the frame shortened and started thinking about suspension. I knew I wanted to have 5 lug wheels so started searching for donor trucks because I was needing the engine crossmember...well dad traded his 4x4 suspension and differentials from the k5 for this bad boy!
76 half ton...it has everything we need to make this work.. we will be using the complete front end and rear diff along with rear suspension. And trans crossmember It also has sway
bar..for those who are squarebody purist please look away now.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
Ta2edjr

73+ engine crossmember fit great in the 72 frame with very little modifications. 1 bolt hole on each side needed to be elongated and 1 needed drilled out completely on each side. So 2 1/2 drop spindles were ordered and everything was cleaned and painted and assembled. Also didnt mention that we will be using the engine stands from the 76 truck as well they are a great fit for a ls swap in 67-72 trucks
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
Ta2edjr

Saved up my lunch money for a while and bought one of the most used tools in the garage a 2 post lift..I knew I would need it for this project but had been wanting one for a long time. And on our way to get the lift we picked up a set of ss camaro wheels and tires.. may use them on the blazer not 100 percent sold on them yet but couldn't pass up the deal
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
Ta2edjr

The camaro wheels are small bolt pattern chevy which I knew. So we ordered a 1 inch set of adapters....they worked great for the rear but the front was a different story...couldn't get the wheel hub to fit over the dust cap and rotor so I pondered and thought of a solution. I turned down the snout of the rotor on a brake lathe and now they fit perfect!
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #8
jeffg1010

I'm diggin it. Subscribed for the adventure. I've been up that way before. Portsmouth Speedway. Great racing!
1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
Ta2edjr

Question Re: 72 k5 project bucket o rust

Thanks Jeff! And yeah it's great racing. Always a good time when we get a chance to go to the track.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:30 PM   #10
raggedjim

Nice work so far. Is that Portsmouth VA? I spent a lot of years in Virginia Beach (actually Dam Neck and Little Creek) in the Navy.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:51 AM   #11
Ta2edjr

Thanks ragged...thank you for your service. But no I live near Portsmouth. OH
Little town located on the ohio river.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #12
Ta2edjr

We've gotten. Alot done since I have posted last. I'll try to get you guys up to speed.
We removed the body from the old 4x4 frame. And set the new chassis under to see how it would align...other than having to remove the rear cab mounts the tub set down on perfect like it was meant to be there. Lol..engine and and trand is in and bolted down for good. Had to notch the 73-87 trans crossmember where the trans mount bolts in..we realized the the tail shaft of the nv3500 set up way to high. And was close to hitting the body. Now the best part PICTURES!!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2018, 10:38 PM   #13
Ta2edjr

Other than gathering small parts here and there the tub bolted down for good. The engine has been painted and detailed for the most part. Didnt really like how the blazer was setting so it made it's way a little closer to the ground. Front clip is bolted back down..alot of cleaning up here and there still have to install new tank plumb all the fuel and brake lines still and wire the engine. Here's some more pics. The last pic is the final ride height with all the weight on the front suspension. I'm please with it and so is dad hope you guys enjoy!
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #14
jeffg1010

looking good
1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #15
Ta2edjr

Thanks man. It's getting there seams like alot of progress has been made but starting to slow down down trying to finish all the little things!
Old 09-22-2018, 04:57 AM   #16
ta2ed

Got that harness done yet?!? Lol just messin with ya Bub This is my favorite build to date, not only am I digging the blazer in this form, it’s been a blast building and collaborating with my best friend in the world, a person I love respect as a man, 1 that makes me proud everyday to call my son!
ta2ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #17
smbrouss70

Great build thread! It seems more people than normal have been asking about cutting down a truck frame for use on a Blazer lately. I almost did the same thing on a 4x4 before I found my 2wd. It's nice to see someone actually do it AND provide pictures.

Good Job! I think its great that a father/son team are knocking this one out of the park, too!

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #18
Ta2edjr

Thanks dad it means alot. I wouldn't and couldn't do it without ya.

And thanks smbrouss70. Their really isnt much info on cutting a frame down for a blazer...if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. And I upload any pics that someone may need.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:13 AM   #19
Ta2edjr

Small updates.

Since we used a leaf spring suspension the easiest and cost effective way to lower the blazer was 2 to do a axle flip. Well that put the axle housing way too close to the frame so a C notch was in order. The tub has a beautiful wooden floor and we disnt want to cut into so the decision was made to do a notch inside ththr frame using thick wall pipe. Picked up a foot of 6inch DOM from the local steel supplier and went to town dont have very many pictures but you get the idea. The notch is now fully welded and as strong as ever. +the only thing that will be hauled is hopefully a lil tail lol.
Another small update I have the factory 4.8 harness apart and labeled. This will be the 3rd harness i have customized and I truly enjoy doing the work. Enjoy the pictures!
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #20
coacharmstrong1990

Nice to see someone close building a K5. I live up the river in Ashland. Ive not seen your K5 around but admittedly i don't get down to P-town very much. Im just starting a Jimmy Project.
coacharmstrong1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #21
ta2ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by coacharmstrong1990 View Post
Nice to see someone close building a K5. I live up the river in Ashland. Ive not seen your K5 around but admittedly i don't get down to P-town very much. Im just starting a Jimmy Project.
Ashland huh, I actually live in Ironton and work for the city of Ashland. The blazer is currently at my sons in Otway. It’s been an ongoing project a few years into it now. Getting ready to start back in on it after drag racing season is over.
Posted via Mobile Device
ta2ed is offline   Reply With Quote