The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
Stormin08

Project WideBody

So, in the quest to answer a few questions...i figured i will try to post a couple images of my project. Started life as a 89 Gold, tan interior 305.

Now, a 355 (400hp), 6 linked and bagged cruiser
Attached Images

Last edited by Stormin08; 09-10-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Stormin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:52 PM   #2
Stormin08

Re: Project WideBody

Little back story...
Back in 08 i helped the then owner install a 260hp goodwrench crate engine. He had Macco do a red paint job....then he hit a deer (very light cosmetic front damage)

I gave 2500 for it in 2010, spent the next 2 years (08-10) redoing the entire truck. Had it completely off the frame and down to bare metal. It now has a sir michales pan welded in and shaved stake pockets.

I did a KP 6link rear, shockwave front and accuair management system. Black exterior and all custon red leather interior. I have driven this truck all over...started in illinois, then los angeles, and now lousianna...all over the last 10 years.

Just this year, i decide it was time to freshen up under the hood...so a 355 was built, and the games began.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
Stormin08

355 (400hp dyno'd / 410 trq), vortec heads, decent roller cam. Edelbrock intake under a 600hp fitech efi, all 304 stainless exhaust.

Plan is to remove most of the factory wiring, running only starting, charging and gauge wiring.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #4
Stormin08

I will work on rotating the pics...
Old 09-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
Stormin08

another trial, must have turned my camera
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
Joseog83

Very nice truck!
Joseog83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #7
mingoman

Nice!
Old 09-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #8
3drburb

It can't get any better than this. Clean, simple and sexy.
Great looking truck, I will definitely be checking this one out to see the engine installed.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
Stormin08

Running fuel lines and some wiring tomorrow...hopefully try to start it
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #11
Hankster

Sweet truck, I've always had a soft spot for a rcsb obs

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #12
Stormin08

little update, actually attended to the truck this weekend...got to fire and run for several minutes ( just enough to get the pipes hot).

i need to install the cooling system, i did de-rat the wiring nest in the above photos. i am down to about 2 wires that need to install into the cab, one to power the cab internals and the other for the ac unit. otherwise factory ecu and wiring are gone (most of which i didnt want to chop up yet).

so far, the FiTech unit is a real piece of work....in no way was it SELF LEARNING.
i have gone into the custom tuning several times making adjustments just to get it to run...still working on that. but since i know i CAN get it to run, i have reverted back to cleaning up the wiring, and making the install permanent.

i will try to update with a couple photos here soon, but not much looks different at this time (just a few less wires)
Old 10-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #13
Derek@AccuAir

Very nice looking truck! I'm subscribed for sure!

My Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=734098
Derek@AccuAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #14
Stormin08

Good to know...once it is wrapped up, all the vendors i have used along the way, i plan to send a more detailed spread. Always nice to have for webpages.

I am also considering updating the management system...the phone app would be handy and cleaner than the touch pad....then the new tank /pumps look clean also...it never ends.

Last edited by Stormin08; 10-16-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #15
hutcholdschool

That is a beautiful truck you have built. You cant go wrong with black exterior and red interior in my opinion. Such a classic combo. I am interested in your shock wave set up in the front. Did it still require trimming the spring pockets? Also do you have a big notch in the rear? Thanks for posting your progress please keep them coming.
hutcholdschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:44 AM   #16
Stormin08

suspension wise...
i originally had the first release of shock waves, those has a large diameter billet surround that captured the bags. they installed with the bag under the frame pocket and had no issues ( no frame cutting).
somehow one of the shock stud mounts broke off...ride tech was kind enough to discount A WHOLE NEW SET by $200 due to a recent redesign (lucky me)...so roughly $800 later i have a newer version.
Currently they design has a urethane disc and the shock has been upgraded to a thread body allowing a slight adjustment to height after install.

only issue there is they COME MANUFACTURED with a 1/4" inlet line fitting (only ride tech can change). After several discussions, and multiple notes of having 3/8" line...i received the new with 1/4" fittings still ! Again, ride tech was kind enough to allow me to purchase and adapter ( but now i have slower acting bags)...and the frame pocket will need clearanced due to the new bag location.

the rear, is a KP COMPONENTS 6 LINK and a standard bell tech frame notch (stock bed floor still intact), and a firestone bag ( dont recall the size as the suspension was done 10 yrs ago...with the exception of the new front shock wave ( never used yet, just installed)
Old 10-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #17
hutcholdschool

Thank you for your time and the reply, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear is what you had on your truck. I have been trying to find information on the shockwaves for a while now from someone that has used them on a OBS and also information for the kp 6 link with a standard bell tech frame notch. I like the idea of having a bagged truck but not the idea of cutting into the bed with a big notch and also I do not want to cut up my spring pockets so I guess shockwaves are out as a option on the new version. Thanks again
hutcholdschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #18
Stormin08

at ride height, they shouldnt be an issue, but when deflated they touch...i just dont want the possibility.

the only trimming that would be required is the lip of the pocket, reach in there and you will know exactly what i mean. i plan to trim as little as possible, but will keep you updated.

i dont recall how i came up with the original shock wave size, i believe i was just a guinea pig and it worked out...but they never offered them.

this go round, was a few measurements, and the new shock selection (fox) has a pin top with an adjuster, so no chance of flipping it.

once they are set for actual ride height (more so dropped height), i will reply with what was needed. my plan is to mimic the yard pic in height (old setup). so far it looks very close, but the only time the front has been on the ground, the motor was out and they had a touch of air in them.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:55 PM   #19
Stormin08

since it has been a while since i posted, i will throw up what i was able to get to so far this week...

trying the rigid upper radiator hose, need couplers to mount, and painted the heater hose fittings coming from the intake

plans are to start inner wheel tubs, route all hoses and wiring, paint core support ( it never made it to the body shop ?) the cruise
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2019, 11:06 PM   #20
90OBS

I like it! I’m curious to see what the final thoughts are on the FiTech.
I’m subscribed.
90OBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:05 AM   #21
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #22
Stormin08

well, i dont have much time to wrench or post...but, i do have the fitech tuned enough to run. i have not driven it yet, but it revs and idles nice.

i have one of the first easy street 600HP's, i was fighting what i believe to be a ground issue. since everything is so heavily coated in paint, i installed a ground wire from a base stud to the firewall ground (same mount as frame ground).

one other issue, this unit has a somewhat hidden tuning board (Pro Tuning)...it gets fairly in depth as far as being able to control the ability to keep the runner wet for heavy acceleration, but what i noticed was a line for fuel pump control.

assuming it just powered the pump as stated, this board showed the pump ON rpm to be 2500...it always fired, then would die. couple tweaks and all seems good now.

i have a few parts to order to clean up the bay and she should be ready.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #23
Stormin08

guess i could do a little update...

so i have put about 4 miles on the new motor, still working out details for gauges ( just eyeing options for the look i want). the motor sounds and runs great, i need to convert the trans lock up to vacuum and really see how shes does.

right now with a 3.08 gear and 27" tire, 3rd gear at 4500 is rolling out...

and i just received my new 20" front wheels from COYS (a year later), so once tires arrive... a set of 18x7 and 20x8.5 Coys C5 gunmetals will be going by-by...

if anyone is looking, let me know.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #24
90OBS

Just hoping to see an update on the project. Wondering how the Fitech is working for you.
90OBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #25
Stormin08

for the few trips around town and some top end blasts....it is actually working rather well.

i can tell the difference in power just by the A/F ratio changes.

the main issue i had was initial start up, it took several tries. come to find out, the box programming has a FUEL PUMP ON setting set for around 2000rpm...it never got power.

once i set that to like 150 rpm, it fires right up. it will crank longer if it has a sat for a week or so.

i currently have the dash dismantled as the new DD-HDX gauges arrive tomorrow.

so, i have the gauge set, new wheel/tires to get mounted, restore front grille assembly, and a/c hoses.

hopefully about 2-3 weeks and done. i am currently working 4-10's...so that helps.