The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
cobra_4

Project: Truant 69 SS

Finally I'm back in the 67-72 C10 game. My dad bought this truck about three or four years ago but never really did anything with it. When he got it the original six was still in it with a three on the tree. It has been here locally all its life. It was owned by the local board of education and was used as a parts truck for the school bus shop. The truck supposedly ran just had a bad fuel pump but he pulled the motor out with plans to put a 454 and a four speed in it. Well to make a long story short the guy that was doing the work for him pulled the motor but never got around to putting the new engine in. So it sat for another year or two. Then about six months ago he decided he was gonna get a guy to put the bed sides back on it and weld in the patch panels, install the new grill, etc. So he got the truck loaded up to take it before he realized that someone had stolen the new tail gate, head gate, and grille out of our storage trailer. Now keep in mind this wasn't repo stuff this was all factory GM pieces. So needless to say after that he was disgusted because most all his good pieces were gone. The truck has been sitting on the back of our ramp truck since then

So that brings us to now. He finally(knew it was just a matter of time) told me to take the truck and do whatever I wanted with it he was tired of messing with it. While 69-70 is my least favorite year I'm still excited about it. The truck is gonna be a nice driver, no show quality but something I can take to the local shows without being ashamed of it. Here is the truck the last pictures I took.

I dont really know what the plans are right now. First things first I'm gonna get the truck in primer. I've got two really good bed fenders for it. I'll probably leave the truck painted in primer for a while until I get the drive train all finished up. Thinking of doing just a basic reman 350 engine. I plan on driving it a lot so I want good gas mileage and something that will be dependable. As much as I'd like to put a four speed or five speed trans in it I'll probably just drop the clutch pedal out and go back with an automatic. I've got a couple of turbo 350's laying around the house I could build for it.
I'll post more plans and pictures later, hopefully gonna dive into it a little bit this weekend.
cobra_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
cobra_4

Re: Project: Truant 69 SS

Been doing some more thinking and planning today and here is the basic plan for the truck.

Primer it black and go with some vintage style door artwork to advertise my auto parts store. For the interior I'm gonna go with a red/black mix. Gonna keep it simple nothing fancy.

Lower it as low as possible without any major mods or frame cutting, I dont want it too low because my driveway sucks.

I'm gonna get a turbo 350 rebuilt and stick in it with a Lokar shifter.

I'm still stuck on the motor. I can get a stock reman for about 1100 bucks. I have access to a set of double hump heads I could probably get for free from my dad, Im sure I can round up a 350 or 327 block, Im just not sure if i could get it built for about the same amount of money or not.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Dub_X
Professional Crow Bar Tosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra_4 View Post
Been doing some more thinking and planning today and here is the basic plan for the truck.

Primer it black and go with some vintage style door artwork to advertise my auto parts store. For the interior I'm gonna go with a red/black mix. Gonna keep it simple nothing fancy.

Lower it as low as possible without any major mods or frame cutting, I dont want it too low because my driveway sucks.

I'm gonna get a turbo 350 rebuilt and stick in it with a Lokar shifter.

I'm still stuck on the motor. I can get a stock reman for about 1100 bucks. I have access to a set of double hump heads I could probably get for free from my dad, Im sure I can round up a 350 or 327 block, Im just not sure if i could get it built for about the same amount of money or not.
I think it's gonna come out looking good man. Already got a nice start.
Dub_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
cobra_4

Well I had hoped to get the truck unloaded today and a place cleaned out in the shop for it but its rained just about all day. Did snap a few quick pictures of it though. The rust is worse than I remembered in a spot or two.

You cant see it good in this picture but the firewall has been prepped and painted and are about ready to go.

Glad its winter time and I didnt get stung!!

Little sign from her county service days.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
cobra_4

Not sure what happened to those other three pictures, here they are.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
Dub_X
Professional Crow Bar Tosser

Good thing about rust, it can be fixed. That's why it's a project. Looking at this makes me miss my '72 3/4-Ton 4x4. My uncle gave it to me, as a project. I never put it on the road and traded it to a guy for my '88 K1500.
Dub_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
cobra_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub_X View Post
Good thing about rust, it can be fixed. That's why it's a project. Looking at this makes me miss my '72 3/4-Ton 4x4. My uncle gave it to me, as a project. I never put it on the road and traded it to a guy for my '88 K1500.
Yeap rust can be fixed! Just means more work and more money!!
Old 01-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
cobra_4

All right got it unloaded today. Still dont have a place inside for it but I can do a lot of work with it sitting out, just sucks because I wont be able to work on it at night during the week after work but its all I've got right now. Snapped a few more pictures.

Bed is shot, probably just gonna go with a piece of steel in the bed. Wood would be nice but I plan on running a bed cover anyway. So I'll probably just lay steel and then possibly carpet the bed.

Picture didn't turn out great but as you can see there weren't many options on this bad boy!!

I found this in the glove box. Looks like a radio delete plate??? I assume that is probably how it came to start with.

Is this radio a factory one?? I wasn't sure.

I assume this was the last time she was on the road.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
gearys 5600

Good start,I hope you leave it a 69-70 front end.

1969 custom/10 swb--SOLD
1968 swb 50th anniv.--SOLD
1967 camaro ss/rs..LS-6-speed, 16-year long project
1956 chevy nomad
1955 chevy 210 2-dr sedan
1978 el-camino ss 1-owner
gearys 5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
cobra_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearys 5600 View Post
Good start,I hope you leave it a 69-70 front end.
I plan on it! While its not my favorite front end eventually I'd like to have one of each of the three trucks so I might as well start with this front end.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

yes, that's a radio delete plate. does it have the 2 clips on the back of it to mount it? No, that is not a factory radio.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
cobra_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 shorty View Post
yes, that's a radio delete plate. does it have the 2 clips on the back of it to mount it? No, that is not a factory radio.
One clip, but I think I saw the other one in the glove box maybe.