The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
FuzzyBob

Varajet 2SE leak

Hi,
I seem to have a very slight leak coming from the "port" pictured here. You can get an idea of the amount of fuel from the paper towel. It so far has not been enough to pool just a coat of gas residue over the heat shield. It is only noticeable after driving while the engine is cooling at a certain point it stops and will remain dry while the engine is cool. The carb was completely overhauled about a year ago. So its very vexing. I recently changed the fuel filter and at first assumed that was the issue as evidenced by my over use of thread sealer.
Not sure what that port is? Mixture screw access? Though if so not at a very good angle for any kind of service, so maybe not. Is there any way to stop this without taking the card down?
Any info or thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Attached Images

FuzzyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Varajet 2SE leak

It’s possible the leak is from the fitting that you have used all that sealant on.
There’s supposed to be a thin gasket there only. No sealer. Also no sealer on the fuel line fitting. It’s a flare fitting, doesn’t seal on the threads.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #3
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
It’s possible the leak is from the fitting that you have used all that sealant on.
There’s supposed to be a thin gasket there only. No sealer. Also no sealer on the fuel line fitting. It’s a flare fitting, doesn’t seal on the threads.
I agree except it's not sealer. It's Silly cone

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
FuzzyBob

Turned out it was leaking from the adjustment screw port on the carb. I plugged the port with a carb plug and the leak stopped. Now I can remove the Teflon paste.
Just a note here:There are a few posts I read that say the Teflon paste won't work with gasoline. My experience is that if you use the correct paste that is rated/intended for fuels it works, but you have to let it set for a bit.
Aside from looking ugly I can't think of any downsides. I did have a leak at the fuel pump because the line was close but not perfectly inline and it did stop the leak.
Thanks for reading ...more dumb questions to follow.
FuzzyBob is offline   Reply With Quote