The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
gigamanx

What direction to take the brakes?

I'd like the biggest bang for my buck as the future goals of this project are a full S10 swap. With that in mind, I'd like to get the current truck running and road worthy first.

Here are some pics of the current state of the brakes. The front drums look ok, but the rears have pitting around the edges and might need to be replaced. There is a lot of grime in there so I'm assuming a good clean out too. The brake pads have a weird consistency almost like clay as opposed to a hard surface. I'm pretty sure that's not normal. The brakes currently don't work and the system looks like its dry. It could be a wheel cylinder or the master cylinder. Any way to tell other than pouring brake fluid into the system and seeing where it comes out?

Should I buy the parts to restore the current front brakes or look for a disc brake conversion kit? For the rear, should I try and get these fixed, or try and source a new rear end with disc brakes also?

Rear

Front

gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
paintman

Re: What direction to take the brakes?

what is your budget???????????????????????
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
gigamanx

Right now the budget is the least expensive option that gets me on the road. I just don't want to throw $300 in front wheel cylinder, master cylinder, pads, drums, and brake lines when a new disc brake kit would be around the same price. All the while knowing this is all temporary because the future chassis will already have disc brakes.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:19 AM   #4
gigamanx

Oh man. Put this in the wrong forum again! This is for a 1949 truck with a 1959 rear end.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #5
gigamanx

A little more research I think I've answered the front brake question. About $700 for a front disc conversion vs about $250 for the wheel cylinders, master cylinder repair, brake lines, and new pads for the existing ones. Easy decision there.