The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #51
TchncnDen

Re: Driver on a budget.

Quote:
Lookin good..
Quote:
Looking very nice! Going to make a Very nice driver!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Did you use rustolem on it? Looks like it was sprayed on.
Yep, it's rustoleum. I buy it in the quart cans and spray it through a gun, that doesn't break my Home Depot rule. The smell is no worse than the rattle cans, but it's cheaper, goes farther and lays down better on large areas. When I read your first reply to my use of rustoleum I chalked it up to one of three things. Either you had poor preparation, there's a compatability problem with por15, or the "real" rustoleum isn't available in your area. Well I looked at your thread and it definately wasn't poor preparation, nice job, and I can't really comment on the por15 compatability. What I did notice is that between the time I bought my first can on this project and the second can the selection at the store fell by about 75% and the can has a new look and no longer says oil based. That could be a bad sign. When I painted the bike gas was splashed often during fill ups and I never had a problem with that or on any other vehicles I've used it on. I hope that's still the case.

Quote:
Damn I wished I had your body work skills, looking great!
I'm sure you could pull it off, it just takes time. There is plenty of advice and examples on this site anyone can follow. It just takes a little longer if you've never done it before. Oh, and thanks for the compliment.
TchncnDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #52
FrankieD

[QUOTE=TchncnDen;5332242]Thanks!!

Yep, it's rustoleum. I buy it in the quart cans and spray it through a gun, that doesn't break my Home Depot rule. The smell is no worse than the rattle cans, but it's cheaper, goes farther and lays down better on large areas. When I read your first reply to my use of rustoleum I chalked it up to one of three things. Either you had poor preparation, there's a compatability problem with por15, or the "real" rustoleum isn't available in your area. Well I looked at your thread and it definately wasn't poor preparation, nice job, and I can't really comment on the por15 compatability. What I did notice is that between the time I bought my first can on this project and the second can the selection at the store fell by about 75% and the can has a new look and no longer says oil based. That could be a bad sign. When I painted the bike gas was splashed often during fill ups and I never had a problem with that or on any other vehicles I've used it on. I hope that's still the case.

QUOTE]

My problem was a leaking PS hose the oil ran down the cross member and laid under the timing cover over the winter and a small drip from the portioning valve but brake fluid will eat any paint.

The new paint is why I said look for a store that doesn't turn the paint as fast I was told that they are not going to make oil base paints any more but can sell what they have in stock
I have one that is a small ACE but mainly sells to industrial and contractors. At work I have a 100k Generator I painted about 5yrs ago with it and it is still a glossy black
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #53
aric70chev

I like your style I paintedmyu whole truck with rustoleum from home depot it sprays nice I am on a short budget also poor people got poor ways looking real good man
aric70chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #54
TchncnDen

I had to get some paint on the back of the cab before I put the box back on, remember I'm only going to rent a booth once. I was going to be lazy and not do any repairs because you couldn't see back there anyway. My conscience got the best of me and I had to strip, straighten and epoxy everything outside of the ribs. Then I painted it in a way that would be easy to mask before final paint.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #55
TchncnDen

I wanted to run the fuel lines today. I had to know where to run them so I lifted the motor into its approximate location so I could get a mark. I really liked the floor space this created in the garage and I saw that a little cut here and a little drill there was all I needed so I just went ahead and mounted the motor, sweet! I was working alone and I didn't have any trouble when I lifted it in place for the mockup. Then when I went for the final install I broke the knock sensor, dang! I still have to run the fuel lines, but that's ok.

When I bought the motor it was at this wierd place with just a bunch of little fenced off areas people were renting for storage, work or whatever, all dirt too. Well I told them I'd take it and asked how they were going to get it in my truck. They went to borrow a lift and I went to the bank and we met back the next day. The guy came out threw down a sheet of plywood for the lift and cut a seatbelt out of another car to tie around the manifolds. I thought holy crap, if they drop this from four feet up I'm not paying! Well, they got it in my truck no problem. When I got home I unloaded it the same way and that's all I've used since. Those suckers are strong!

Another funny thing while there was that I asked what they did. They told me everything but mostly bodywork. I told them I needed the gas pedal and a couple other things from the truck and they told me to go ahead. When I pulled out a rack of Mac sockets they were so impressed it was funny. Wow, you must be some kind of pro.

I also checked the mounting of the truck AC compressor that supposedly can't be used. It looks like it will work with just a little trimming of the bracket so I'm going to use it. I also like how its mounted almost out of sight. I also mounted the bed so I could get it out of the driveway.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #56
67cheby
67cheby

Looking good
Posted via Mobile Device
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #57
Zane M

Awesome work so far! I will be following this thread from now on.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #58
Tinkermc

A man down the street paints dunp trucks and paints outside all the time he also uses Rustoleum.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #59
TchncnDen

I haven't done anything really picture worthy lately. I installed the tank, ran the fuel lines and modified the AC compressor bracket, it fits nice. I have a week off so I plan on having it running and ready for paint (not painted) by the end of next week. Making that bold statement on here will give me the motivation to follow through. I also have to squeeze in a hundred miles or so of mountain biking and other fun things so it should be a great week.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #60
TchncnDen

I installed the modified engine harness today, it lays down nicely on the engine. I didn't really plan out where to mount the ECM when I made the harness, and with the factory AC stuff there isn't much room. About the only place there is room is the glovebox compartment, there might be enough space for my registration after everything is back in. There's also a picture of the truck AC compressor installed with the modified bracket.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #61
TchncnDen

I didn't get far but I started the main harness. I bought this one from Speedway. A couple of months ago I helped an electrically challenged friend install a Painless harness in his 32 Ford and this Speedway kit is almost as nice at less than half the price. I would have said it's nicer because it comes with a new light switch, but today I noticed there is no wiring for reverse lights. I'll have to add those.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #62
AF_Chevy

Great job so far! Man I need a friend like you with your body and paint skills! LOL

______________________________________________________________________________________________
My attempt at a build thread...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5371238
AF_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #63
1968gm

Nice work!!! Im also on a tight budget...so i love your build thread.It gives me hope..keep up the good work! I will be watching for sure!
1968gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #64
TchncnDen

Vroom vroom!! Ok, I suffered a good case of burnout lately. I've been going out to the garage for an hour here and an hour there, but mostly dragging my feet while I've been out there. It does all add up though. I was still dragging today and I started looking around for what to do next. Well I might as well put a little gas in and check my fuel system. I had some leaks at a hard to get at coupling that I thought might leak. It was a tight squeeze but I got them to seal. What next? Might as well see if it starts. First crank! And that's without exhaust, 02 sensors or a MAF sensor. I'm excited again! Tomorrow I'll sand the epoxy and get some surfacer on. Then I have to clean up the wiring, cut the driveshaft, figure out the shifter linkage and paint the jambs. Then it's on to paint. I'm going to try and burn on through to that point, and I'm still below $7k.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #65
TchncnDen

Does anyone know what makes the compressor cycle on factory AC? I have the wiring schematics and it's easy enough to wire in the compressor from the 5.3 but it looks like it would always be on. That can't be right, I must be missing something.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #66
Tinkermc

looin good so far
Old 06-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #67
ta2ed

There should be a. High/low pressure switch to regulate amount of pressure build up to kick compressor of and on
Posted via Mobile Device
ta2ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #68
TchncnDen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2ed View Post
There should be a. High/low pressure switch to regulate amount of pressure build up to kick compressor of and on
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep, that's what I thought too, but I don't see it in the wiring diagram. The wires go straight from the switch to the compressor so the clutch is engaged when you turn the air on. I must be missing it, but I don't see it in the diagram or on the physical unit. Can you point it out to me?

On another note, I know I said you can prime a vehicle with a brush and roller but blocking epoxy that was rolled on is a lot like trying to block down your driveway, mucho trabajo. It's all done now though. I have two spots to work a little polyester putty on and then it is time for final prime.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #69
ta2ed

According to that diagram, you're right there isn't 1. What year is the motor and what did it come out of? I can hit shop key for another schematic and see If it shows anything different
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #70
ta2ed

Have you ever used the waterborne primer? I have a couple times it did ok but it wasn't anything to write home about
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #71
ta2ed

Ok according to a diagram I got off of shopkey the high/low pressure switches are on compressor. I looked it up for a 2000 c1500 5.3
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #72
Tinkermc

get busy get yourself through this so you can start driving this nice truck, not many people will see it in the garage and the fun begins with the engine running, hope this motovation helps
Old 06-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #73
droy014

I have a question. When you mix your Rustoleum, what do you thin it with, and what is your mix ratio?:
droy014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #74
TchncnDen

Quote:
Have you ever used the waterborne primer? I have a couple times it did ok but it wasn't anything to write home about
Posted via Mobile Device
I have used it only a couple of times myself. Only when I had trouble with things lifting underneath and that was probably in the late 80's. I remember it was hard as a rock, I don't know that I would use it on bare metal, being waterborne and all.

Quote:
According to that diagram, you're right there isn't 1. What year is the motor and what did it come out of? I can hit shop key for another schematic and see If it shows anything different
Posted via Mobile Device
I replied to your PM, thanks. My donor is a 2004 5.3 if you could send a schematic to the email I sent you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droy014 View Post
I have a question. When you mix your Rustoleum, what do you thin it with, and what is your mix ratio?:
I use mineral spirits to thin and I don't have a specific ratio. It doesn't take much though, maybe 25%. I would never mix real paint without measuring, I hope no one else does either.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #75
TchncnDen

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I forgot to mention it was out of a Suburban, a 2004 5.3 Suburban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
get busy get yourself through this so you can start driving this nice truck, not many people will see it in the garage and the fun begins with the engine running, hope this motovation helps
Thanks Tinker, that's the kick in the butt I need! I just picked up my color today, my current total is $7138.38. The only other big expense I can think of is exhaust but I'm sure all the little nickel and dime things are going to push me into the 8's. Oh well, I tried. I'll post my spreadsheet when I'm finished if anyone is interested.