The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
mrein3

Rear End Vent Tube

In an effort not to hijack http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=814572, I figured I better start a new thread.

I recently installed the snow plow on my pickup. Its a 1971 K10 chassis. When I got it most every part was cowboyed in place. I pick on cowboys because my friend that I bought it from purchased it in Wyoming where it was pieced together from many donors.

Everything on the chassis appears to be from a 1971. 1/2 ton axles, half ton frame, etc. That all matches.

While putting my plow on for the winter I noticed the homemade bracket that does the pushing and distributes the weight to the frame of the truck was broke. After a lot of telling my truck how I felt about it while welding it back together I noticed the vent tube for the front differential was broke in two in the process of massaging all that heavy iron.

I'm guessing the cowboy that built this used standard rubber tubing on the axel as a vent because when you're a cowboy, why buy the correct part when you can make something else work?

Then I read the above thread that I linked in. Do I order a pair of these:
https://www.classicparts.com/1947-91.../#.VNwUcVKB_EE
or these
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...By=ProductName
to do the job right in repairing that vent tube? I'm guessing the rear axel has a similar vent but I didn't look yet.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
Davidf

Re: Rear End Vent Tube

Sometimes, rubber tubing is used to raise the vent up out of the water. So, maybe a cowboy solution to crossing river/creek beds.

Last edited by Davidf; 11-17-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

If you look at the Factory Assembly Manual on page 256, it shows that hose on the K trucks. Page 254 shows it for C trucks. It still gets the vent valve.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
67C10Step

I can't speak to the K series trucks but I've had two C10's and both had rubber vent tube on the rear. No cowboy about it, that was factory.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
ltdmstr

I just did a complete rebuild of everything from the cab back and for the rear axle vent I used a piece of rubber fuel line with a tiny K&N filter on the end. Although the stock vent was way up inside the frame rail, I didn't think that was necessary with an oiled filter. Plus I can change it in about 2 minutes if I decide to.
Attached Images

ltdmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
Sometimes, rubber tubing is used to raise the vent up out of the water. So, maybe a cowboy solution to crossing river/creek beds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
If you look at the Factory Assembly Manual on page 256, it shows that hose on the K trucks. Page 254 shows it for C trucks. It still gets the vent valve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
I can't speak to the K series trucks but I've had two C10's and both had rubber vent tube on the rear. No cowboy about it, that was factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdmstr View Post
I just did a complete rebuild of everything from the cab back and for the rear axle vent I used a piece of rubber fuel line with a tiny K&N filter on the end. Although the stock vent was way up inside the frame rail, I didn't think that was necessary with an oiled filter. Plus I can change it in about 2 minutes if I decide to.
Thanks all. It appears the vent tubes are in a rare category on my truck, the category where a Previous Owner didn't do a hack. I found the google docs assembly manual index, found the two pages in my manual that Steeveedee pointed out, and looked them over. I don't see the vents on the ends of the tubes in my copy of the assembly manual.

I think what I'll do is order a pair of those vent tube ends and refresh both front and rear tubes/hoses.

Thanks again. This forum rocks. Like usual.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
dz1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdmstr View Post
Big thing is if you get that pumpkin in water after driving around a bit, it's going to cool fast and suck a lot of air in. If that filter is also underwater when that happens, it will allow water in to the diff and turn the diff oil in to chocolate milk.
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
gmc684x4

That as a K10 owner and you forget to change diff and tyranny these fluids in the fall after the first real good cold snap diffs and all frozen up
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #9
ltdmstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087 View Post
Big thing is if you get that pumpkin in water after driving around a bit, it's going to cool fast and suck a lot of air in. If that filter is also underwater when that happens, it will allow water in to the diff and turn the diff oil in to chocolate milk.
Good point, although I don't drive in the rain and definitely not in deep water. Also, the filter is oiled which should help keep water out. I'll probably add a longer hose and move it up inside the frame rail just to be safe.
ltdmstr is offline   Reply With Quote