The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2019, 02:21 AM   #1
Jonny Hotnuts

rocker replacement question....

Replacing the driver side rocker (in and out) and floor pan. I got the thing almost ready to heat up but something I cant figure out.

The inner rocker has 2 bolt holes. The issue is that the holes dont line up with the bolts in triangulation members where they are supposed to go.....by (guessing) about 5/8" (short) after getting one bolt in. The truck has never gotten in any serious wrecks. The door/body seams shown no abnormalities that would account for this, and door operation is perfect.

It would be no problem to drill another hole but I would sure like to know why there is such a significant difference.

-Both panels came from Brothers.

Any thoughts?

Tks,

~JH
Jonny Hotnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
B. W.

Re: rocker replacement question....

None of the holes on my inner rocker lined up with the supports. I welded up the holes & drilled new ones. We'd be better off if they just didn't punch the holes.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Jonny Hotnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
None of the holes on my inner rocker lined up with the supports. I welded up the holes & drilled new ones. We'd be better off if they just didn't punch the holes.

Dude! Thanks for the info. That is what I suspected, especially because the outer rocker fits PERFECT but since I had never done a rocker replacement wanted to make sure before heating things up.

Also, if anyone else is considering installing the rockers......

It may seem very intimidating but as long as you have some basic skills and some decent tools....it really isnt too bad. I wont say 'fun' but I have done WAAAAAY worse!

And......

(a fun story)

This truck was purchased by my grandad in 70. My pops bought it from him in 83. The 'reason' there is a rotted hole under the gas peddle is because it started getting soft where the heal sits when pushing the gas. Pops fix was to put a piece of sheet metal over the hole, put 'play sand' on top of that to build up the low spot, put a thin 'welcome' mat (no poop, it literally said 'welcome') and then put the OEM mat over it all. It was like that for 30 years! Any moisture that would hit the bottom floor would soak the sand and stew with metal.

If I didnt know it must of been my pops that did it, I would of had some choice things to say about the MF'er who did this 'fix' years ago! LOL

~JH
Jonny Hotnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:02 AM   #4
franken

The new parts are made in Asia by some random unknown company. We're nucky they fit as well as they do.
You're missing a few feet of 3-4" inner rocker there so some research might be in order.
Bodywork usually works from the inside out so I hope you're planning to replace the inner structure, floor bits, inner rocker, cab supports, corners and so on, since they're most likely rotted.
Most of this stuff rots from the inside, so even if it's under the truck or has paint, it's on it's way out.
The cab rain gutter seam sealer likes to fail at the seam, rust rust the gutter, windshield area, run down the A-pillar and rot the floor...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote