The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
cigar-

Flywheel dilemma

I have a 1971 half ton truck I am working on. It came originally with a 250 cubic inch inline six. Somewhere prior to me the six got pulled and an 350 got dropped in. The truck originally had a three speed column shift. When I got it it's now a floor shift.

I have the new motor ready and about to go in. I'm thinking of putting on a new flywheel as the one off the old motor has some bad teeth. What I dont know is if the flywheel I have is off of the inline six or not. It's a GM part with the number " N 6668868" on it. I searched the net and found nothing. It measures about 14 1/8" across the teeth.

Napa Auto Parts sold me new one that wouldn't go onto the back of the crankshaft. It seems the hole in the Napa (Chinese) flywheel is .010" smaller than the crankshaft journal where the flywheel mounts. The one I was sold was supposed to bigger in diameter than the one I pulled off. Something about a bigger clutch means better grabbing.

Has anyone ever run into this situation? I simply want to get the truck running. I am not worried about pulling anything heavy as its going to be a beater truck.....maybe pull a small trailer someday.

Please.....anyone.....help!!!!!!

Michael
cigar- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
nra4life

Re: Flywheel dilemma

cigar-, If you have a flywheel, why not change the ring gear and resurface? That will give you a flywheel that is as good as new. Roy
nra4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
airdale94

Re: Flywheel dilemma

The 6cyl. and 1st gen. V-8 flywheels will interchange except for the sbc 400 and the BBC 396. If you have 2nd gen. 350 (1 piece rear main-housing on back of block) you will need a flywheel specifically for that. As nra4life said you can have a new ring gear put on yours.