The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2018, 10:20 PM   #176
joedoh

Re: Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

I overspent, as per usual.

I bought two 53s, a 1 ton and a 1 1/2 ton, they both come with kansas titles so no registration worries. they are BLUE, after the long string of green trucks. although its been several different shades of green. the 1 ton I have a nice blue bed in the back yard, and for the 1 1/2 ton I can use one of the beds I just picked up, but I dont have a front clip for it.

or rather, I didnt. I drove an hour north saturday and picked up two complete 1/2 ton front clips, some good doors, and a buttload of spare stuff even a stock seat frame. I sold a little of the random stuff right away and broke even (except gas), so thats good.

I drilled locating holes in the hood hinges and removed them so I could get paint behind them. I fixed the rusted outer skins with some patches, treated the rest because I dont want a career in rust repair.

IMG_1314 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1317 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1320 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1322 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I took the right side of the front clip apart so I could change the fender. some of the extra parts that came with that recent purchase were 3 good pair of inner fender braces. this is kind of important to me, because with the front end damage this truck had the drivers one was bent pretty severely and I was really wondering how I would fix it, either a slice and weld or maybe a torch visit. with the spare parts I was done really quickly and I even switched the passenger side too because the bolts were broken off (lazy!)

IMG_1323 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1324 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I did other stuff, some floor repair, the windshield repair is done but not ground down yet. I repaired both of the lower jamb outer skins that were rotted, so the cab rust is behind me now. interesting note, I guessed that the curve of those jambs would be roughly the same as the rear cab corner and so I was able to use the leftovers from that patch to fix the front.

I hate rust repair. the two 53 trucks have great floors, they were shedded for years.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:13 PM   #177
oldman3

OW, pretty red paint. Sounds like a nice score on parts...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #178
Advanced Design

Yes, good score on the parts! And the big truck cabs are nice as they often were used only for harvest, then shedded the rest of the year. That is what my black truck cab was and the most solid any of us had ever seen.

Nice looking red too!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:43 AM   #179
joedoh

well I have been pretty busy but have been chipping away. my intent was to do all the wiring and try for a start but I realized I was rushing. I would have pulled the front clip back off to finish the inners, brake lines are easier done with the clip off, motor mounts still had temp bolts, etc etc.

so I did what I could in between work and 5 year old. first I bought some more stuff, I scored a bunch of 1938 parts including some super duper rare 1939 truck rear fenders. they are the ones everyone wants for hot rods because they are slightly wider. then I bought a steering wheel, I was going to modify the original GMC wheel to have some dish but I spotted one of those speedway wheels unfinished on ebay for a song.

Messages Image(3236609463) by Joe Doh, on Flickr

this actually helped me galvanize on the colors for the truck. I was leaning towards red body with white top, red wheels and red interior. but since I have black headliner and door panels, I decided on red body all one color, red interior and BLACK wheels. so I painted the wheel red and black.

IMG_1504 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
56049229066__B90FDCEB-F1BA-40FC-81A0-84E2401A3077 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I have the little chrome rings for the wheel, should look pretty good. I have one small blemish about 2 oclock where the paint wasnt dry enough and the hanger dug in a bit, gotta wait for some sun for the UV to cure the paint before I can sand it.

I finished up the windshield repair. this corner was mostly gone.

IMG_1326 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

since I had so much experience with base clear I went ahead and did the dash.

IMG_1327 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
56012676354__A9FB284D-531C-45DE-88AE-0C0D1BE4BC7E by Joe Doh, on Flickr

covered for the duration.
56019190819__971ECD7D-4F23-45FA-8310-AEFE2F27279A by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I figure I want to put the glass in soon so I painted the windshield frame and cowl.
IMG_1477 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1507 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

finished up the inners and got some paint on them too. that hole is necessary for the AC lines, to get wrenches on them. I cover that area with rubber sheeting so water doesnt get in.

IMG_1478 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1479 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

did the brakes, for you swappers taking off the abs is easy, you just need 3 tube fittings and a 3 way bubble flare union. the rear line unscrews from the abs unit and screws right into the prop valve, then you tee the fronts by adding the three tube fittings and the union. ( I used a new piece of pipe because my line was kinked)

IMG_1525 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

trans tunnel time. got it final trimmed and started building the hump. progression pics show how I did it, I got the hump roughed in and started screwing it down an inch or so at a time till it had flanged itself. work smarter not harder right? then I tacked it all together and pulled the screws, put it through the kansas bodywork machine (my 5 lb sledge) until it had the desired shape. thats where I am right now.

IMG_1481 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1551 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1553 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1555 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1556 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1560-1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1564 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1565-1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

Old 10-06-2018, 08:25 AM   #180
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Coming along and looking good!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #181
oldman3

joe, nice update, and looking good...Jim
Old 10-06-2018, 10:25 AM   #182
OutlawDrifter

I have used the KS body work machine many times!

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:57 AM   #183
joedoh

yes, its a good tool sometimes!

finished the tunnel, its all sealed up now and fits perfectly.

IMG_1572 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

got more minor stuff done, pulled the pedal bracket for the last time and after sanding the rough spots off the edges I painted it black on the bottom and silver on top (so you can see stuff on top)

IMG_1573 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I needed to install that bracket and my wife was somewhere in the yard so I texted her for help just sticking the bolts through the holes while I lifted it in place. she said "ok sure" and after a half hour I just went ahead and did it myself.

56072659769__D0706F67-B866-4236-B3AD-9B6BB41C0BB1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

with that bracket installed I got the steering all hooked up and working. the steering column is like a ROCK now, the way I braced the pedal bracket to the firewall, the dash brace, and the dash made it more solid than even that complicated interface bracket I used to make. the double D shaft I ordered was no kidding just 1/2" too long, thats all I trimmed off. the spindles threw the toe and camber out too so I got everything straight and adjusted the tie rods to give it a slight toe in and a couple degrees camber.

IMG_1604 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1603 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

with the column in I needed the shifter cable. I welded in the little piece I cut out of the s10 floor and bobs your uncle.

IMG_1575 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

got the HVAC installed too, inside and out

IMG_1577 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1578 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

there is room inside for the blower housing so thats where its going.

I also got the pedals in, the gas pedal needed some tweaking but works perfectly now, full travel and room for carpet under it.

I havent heard from the seat guy, which isnt like him, so I may stop by there monday.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #184
oldman3

joe, nice update and everything looks good...Jim
Old 10-14-2018, 07:59 PM   #185
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I am really excited to see this one finished. I can't remember you painting one befor. The red look real sharp.

Bill's Gallery
Old 10-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #186
joedoh

Thanks a lot Bill, but please temper your enthusiasm a little with the fact that my "painting" is just rattle can satin all one color. I am pounding out the bit dents and fixing some areas, but its more just to make it presentable instead of a patchwork of colors and surface rust.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:18 AM   #187
joedoh

still tied up. we had a busy weekend, wedding on saturday and pumpkin patch on sunday. the wedding was in rural southwest kansas and as it happens was 3 miles from the 2 52s I bought, so I went by for some pictures in the sun. I hadnt really seen them in person. they are both in pretty good shape with only the small amount of rust in the kicks. I wont grow rusticles in my beard fixing these like the last ones, glad I paid up. the larger is a 1 1/2 ton but I just got a blue 1/2 ton front end a few weeks ago, and those extra beds before that.

IMG_1839 (1) by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1834 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1832 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1811 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1809 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1806 (1) by Joe Doh, on Flickr

they dont even need cab corners! and the "curse of the green truck" (I can buy any truck as long as its green) continues, the 1 ton is a green truck that someone painted blue somewhere in history. but that door art is fantastic, and its a wichita truck from history too.

I also went on a short trip in my beloved M3 to pick up the 38 motor dust pans and lever shocks I left behind when I bought those 38 parts. halfway into the 90 minute drive I heard skip skip skipskipskip skip skip. the muffler hanger donuts failed, I had to employ the hack mechanic "kludge" on the side of the road.

IMG_1801 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

but at least I was able to tie it up. my dad was resourceful and liked the challenge of fixing things quickly (if not a little inelegantly) and I cherish that gift he gave me, when something breaks I just know I can fix it.

I ordered tires for the mobsteel artillery wheels and have been trading emails on the gauges, so even though the truck sits untouched, I have been making deals.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:54 AM   #188
Nut Case

Big Joe

Great work on the truck, as usual. That is a genuine "redneck lash up" on the mufflers, you did us proud son....

In high school my friends and I drove an ole beater 56 4 door ford to and from moving pipe, the tranny cross mount fell off we had a set of dikes so we cut some wire from a wire net fence and redneck lashed it up and drove into town it ran all summer, we left it in the farmers field where it sits to this day.

This is a tease for you. A new couple moved into our neighborhood, upon meeting the husband we talked about our addictions and we both are doing pickups. His is a 41 Chevy with 40ish k on the OD that his grandfather bought new in the fall of 41, then in 49 had a heart attack in it, he pulled of the side of the road and passed. When he was found it was in first gear and turned off, the granddad was still warm. His dad then got it, his first date with his wife was in this tk, now he has it and he is going to put it on a S-10 so I sent him to this forum and you. He is ecstatic after reading your threads. By the way it's straight as can be, 0 rust all the sheet metal trim, handles and latches are cherry, the tail gate looks brand new less aged paint. Just thought you might like to know.

Keep on keepin on

NC
Old 10-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #189
oldman3

joe, your going to keep the note clip on the dash, aren't you...Jim
Old 10-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #190
Old57

Looking good! Roundin' up parts and future projects is still good progress.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:39 PM   #191
joedoh

Jim I love custom add-ons from these trucks, I will probably leave it!

Nut I am not sure how I feel about that. a lot of guys against the S10 swaps cite the "perfectly good frame" mantra, which isnt true for most guys who go the S10 route, especially me when I buy bare cabs or old grain trucks to start with. but a nice 41, especially with family history, I would probably do a late model efi swap and update the suspension. maybe his truck is a 1 1/2 ton and he will need all the 1/2 ton sheetmetal anyway. Dont think I am discouraging him either, I am a big fan of doing whatever the hell you want with your own stuff, and stuffing those unwanted opinions in the trash.

Old57 thats true but I still wish it was truck progress. I could make it run and drive with one good day of work instead of these 30 minute spits and spurts.

enough bellyaching.

stabbed the distributor. I went 8 3/4 and could have gone 9.5. duly noted. heater hoses hooked up and cruise mounted too.

IMG_1940 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1949 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

s10 guys listen up. The front and rear shock mounts use a speed nut on the back side, which always seem to break on removal no matter how careful you are with penetrant and holding your tongue right. the dorman replacements dont fit, they get in the way of the shock and spin too much in the hole which can be a real pain to tighten. even the bolts are special, with a steep taper to allow you get them started at weird angles. do what I do, run to the salvage yard and crawl under some trucks.

IMG_1948 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

last time I was there they had a bunch of trucks with the beds pulled but this time they were gone, I had to crawl under trucks with no wheels sitting flat on the ground. sure they sell the clips and bolts in sets of 4 for like 13 bucks, but that requires FORESIGHT, which I lack. better to lay on a spare tire cover in the silt and weeds on a cool autumn day anyway. and a set of 8 was 5 bucks!

after that I installed the front shocks and cotter pinned/zerked everything in the front end

IMG_1943 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

buttoned up the steering, its nice using the firewall chunk because the factory shaft grommet fits. dont mind the brake fluid, I was all asses and elbows today doing several things at once, like bleeding the brakes at the same time.

IMG_1945 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1946 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1947 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

my grille was bent, it looked ok from straight on but the bracket and backside was pretty mashed up.

IMG_1953 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1954 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I could have pounded it out but one popped up online while I was coasting today so I went down and picked it up.

IMG_1955 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

well ok you got me. I bought two.

IMG_1956 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

no idea what to do with the second except hang it on the wall for now.

with the front end all buttoned up I think I will work on the blower pass through tomorrow.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:36 PM   #192
oldman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
Dont think I am discouraging him either, I am a big fan of doing whatever the hell you want with your own stuff, and stuffing those unwanted opinions in the trash.
joe, I agree 100%. Many times I've been told why cut off the top of a good truck. BECAUSE that's what I WANTED. Build your's your way.

It may not be the way I would do something, but I don't put anyone down on how they want theirs...Jim
Old 10-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #193
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

That is one RED grill!

Bill's Gallery
Old 10-25-2018, 09:52 AM   #194
OutlawDrifter

You are an inspiration in a dessert full of, "I'll do it tomorrow...."

Aside from backing the '49 in and out of the shop a half dozen times to work on other stuff, mine hasn't been touched!

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #195
joedoh

Jim, your truck is gorgeous. and there is nothing worse than the guy who walks up at a show and said " WHAT I WOULDA DONE IS..." well go do it, and stop swinging on my gate. too many people today judge peoples actions with their own best intentions. "I'm gonna" never built a thing.

Bill I almost drove away but the red grille called me back.

Outlaw you did your truck in record time, to your vision. Take comfort in that, I loosely keep track of projects on this forum start vs finish and even in two years the completion rate is less than 11%.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:51 AM   #196
28TudorAZ

Looking great. For a guy with no bodywork skills the body is looking pretty darn good. Just curious keeping all of the drive train of the s10 what is the average cost of your builds? I am at about $6600 into mine right now with probably about another $2K to get it finished. I've thought about doing another one after this just to sell.
28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #197
joedoh

not sure I would be a good guide on prices, I spend a lot on these trucks partly because I insist on fixing the suspension/brakes/shocks/lowering components, and add premium wheels/tires and interior fixings. also all new rubber on the cabs, high grade steering parts, fancy bed wood. If I sold these and tried to make a profit I would be screwed, not just in labor costs either. but its fun to goof around and it keeps me busy when I am not very busy.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:25 PM   #198
28TudorAZ

You would be surprised what some people will pay. This 53 went for $42K.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Chevro....m43663.l10137

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBuf...ature=youtu.be
28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #199
joedoh

that one may be the exception and not the rule, because in 5 years I havent seen 90% of them sell for even 50% of that price. more work/parts/attention to detail sells for more than 50% of that price of course, but at the same time, less sells for less.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #200
joedoh

did a little rural scouting on a bed a friend spotted in a field. its a 47-53 shortbed, good eye. this was also behind the barn/workshop. picture taken from the road but I am reasonably certain its a 36 ford truck. methinks its worth an ask.

Image 10-26-18 at 3.47 PM by Joe Doh, on Flickr

worked on the HVAC, and what it all comes down to is that everythings gonna be fine fine fine.

IMG_1975 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1977 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1979 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1983 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I am going to trim the blower so that it mounts closer to the fresh air inlet in case thats something I want to do in the future.

IMG_1984 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the blower wheel is broken but I have another.

IMG_1987 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

tires came in, no wheels yet, maybe this week! they said 2 weeks and its been two weeks. the sizes arent as impressive in pictures, but these things are some healthy rollers, I went with a 245/40 on the front and a 275/40 on the rear, to give me a little sidewall. I could have gone shorter but without bags small tires look like small tires. this will give a nice ride and plenty of sidewall (3.25" on the front!).
IMG_2062 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2063 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

went with an all season tire instead of a hyper performance tire.

we also found a property with an existing 30x50 shop, so if I am scarce again that might be the reason. lots of hoops to jump.