The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
YeahDoggie

59 apache coil question

First of all, thank you guys for helping me with my electrical issues. I suck at electrical...

So my apache has the 235 with the foot starter. When my key is in the on position, the + coil wire is getting the same voltage as the battery. When I start the engine, the voltage jumps to 20-25 volts. Coil gets a little hot. Is this normal? I didnt think so. Tried to change the ballast resistor. Didn't help. Could the issue be the ignition switch???

Any info is appreciated.
YeahDoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
67 Burb

Re: 59 apache coil question

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahDoggie View Post
First of all, thank you guys for helping me with my electrical issues. I suck at electrical...

So my apache has the 235 with the foot starter. When my key is in the on position, the + coil wire is getting the same voltage as the battery. When I start the engine, the voltage jumps to 20-25 volts. Coil gets a little hot. Is this normal? I didnt think so. Tried to change the ballast resistor. Didn't help. Could the issue be the ignition switch???

Any info is appreciated.
You say "When I start the engine". Is this happening when you are cranking the engine? Or when the engine is running?

1967 2wd Burb, 350/TH350, 3.73 posi
67 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
YeahDoggie

Sorry for the confusion. I meant when it's running. The coil, voltage regulator, ballast resistor are all new. I've also tried 2 different ignition switches.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
67 Burb

You should NOT have 20 to 25 volts with the engine running (or at any time). What are you running for alternator or generator? Original or upgrade? That much voltage in a 12 volt system will burn things out.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:53 AM   #5
YeahDoggie

Running the original generator. I've also changed the voltage regulator. When it's running it is getting around 14 volts to the battery. 20-25 on both sides of the ballast resistor. I've also tried a different ignition switch. Nothing helped.

Thanks for the reply
Old 07-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #6
67 Burb

For the life of me, I can't imagine why there should be 20 to 25 volts there. How can you have that voltage if the gen is putting 14 volts to the battery?

Anybody on here have an answer?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

You have something wrong with the regulator. A generator will put out as much a 28 volts at 20 amps so what your seeing can happen. The regulator is defective , miss wired , not polarized or a wire shorted shorted. 25 volts will cook your coils quickly. It needs 9 volts max
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
TBONE1964
Cluster King

That is a mystery to me too. I don't think any system in the truck would survive 20-25 volts. What ever had that kind of voltage to it would certainly have a melt down. All of the fuses would blow also.

When you say both sides of the ballast resistor have 20-25 volts, that defeats the purpose of the ballast resistor. On a normal 12V system the ballast resistor would be used to drop the voltage from 12 down to say 5 volts. So it would have battery voltage (12V on one side and ruduced down to 5 volts on the other side. This was used on early point style ignitions because the points would burn out quickly with 12V and were much more reliable with 5 volts.

Are you absolutely sure you are reading the meter correctly? Unless you have a voltage regulator stick open, you would never see that voltage number from a 12 V system. You may see 16 to 17 and then things would start melting and fuses blowing.

I would check it with a different meter just for reference.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
You have something wrong with the regulator. A generator will put out as much a 28 volts at 20 amps so what your seeing can happen. The regulator is defective , miss wired , not polarized or a wire shorted shorted. 25 volts will cook your coils quickly. It needs 9 volts max
Ok, I learn something here too. Thank you Dave I did not think that voltage was possible from a 12V system.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #10
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Boy it's been a long time since I worked with generators. I did a little googling and found this.
http://www.netlink.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm

I would think that if he's seeing 24 volts on the ignition wire that he should see it at the battery too.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #11
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Its only a 12 v system because thats what we regulate it to, If the system regulator is no good its a what ever it puts out system. Really its a 13.2 system, we charge at 13.4 to 14.4 to over come the battery push back.

These generators are often used here as wind generators that's the only reason I know they can put out a lot of juice.

The battery can't hold 24 v it only has enough cells for 12 (13.2) . 2.2 per cell is its capacity.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote