The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
NorCalGal

Numbered grill bars on a 53 3100

I was just going through the parts of my grill, it was in pieces when I purchased it. So according to what I have they are numbered from 1-4 having 2 #4s (this doesnt seem right to me, but thats what I have). If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate a reply. Thanks inadvance
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Numbered grill bars on a 53 3100

Top bar is obviously the top bar and the bottom bar is obviously the bottom bar The three middle bars have the notches being 2 notches for the second bar, 3 notches for the third bar and 4 notches for the 4th bar. They DO NOT interchange.

The individual bars will interchange big truck or little truck but the side pieces are somewhat taller on the big trucks

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #3
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Top bar is obviously the top bar and the bottom bar is obviously the bottom bar The three middle bars have the notches being 2 notches for the second bar, 3 notches for the third bar and 4 notches for the 4th bar. They DO NOT interchange.

The individual bars will interchange big truck or little truck but the side pieces are somewhat taller on the big trucks

They actually do "interchange" at least they will bolt on. I have two number 3's on my grill, that number 4 is the toughest to find, I never did, chromed the extra #3 and ran with it. It's a little narrower, but not horrible. Though I am looking for a number 4 now as I would like to have it right when I finish the truck.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
mr48chev

I guess I am a bit picky about things being spot on. They will go on but each one is slightly different in length top to bottom.

When I built my truck the first time in 1973 I ended up getting chrome bars out of several grills before i had enough near perfect bars to make a grill. I have to redo the grill again because my son backed into it a few years ago when he jumped in his car and backed up not looking to see that my truck was behind it a few years ago.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I guess I am a bit picky about things being spot on. They will go on but each one is slightly different in length top to bottom.

When I built my truck the first time in 1973 I ended up getting chrome bars out of several grills before i had enough near perfect bars to make a grill. I have to redo the grill again because my son backed into it a few years ago when he jumped in his car and backed up not looking to see that my truck was behind it a few years ago.
Don't get me wrong, you are right they aren't the same and they don't "interchange" as "interchange" means, that they are the same. They will bolt in but they are NOT the same and having that one shorter one on my truck wasn't the right way to do it!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
mr48chev

I fought that battle when I put the truck together in 1973 taking it from a 75.00 Beater to painted and upholstered truck in three months.

I think I cleaned the central Texas wrecking yards out of grills with one or two good chrome/stainless bars to make my grill and put it together two or three times before i figured out what NorCalGal found out on hers. They bolt on but just don't look right.