The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
FFredo

Welded door hinge repair ?

Hey guys and gals. After reading a few posts where it is mentioned that I am not the only one with a truck that lower door hinges were welded in place, I'm wondering how this can be fixed? I guess it's fairly common for a previous owner to weld a hinge in place vs. repairing it correctly. I have a welded hinge on my driver lower. I really want to correct this issue and hope to avoid buying a donor door.
Can it be fixed or will I need to source a new door and lower hinge?

PS: I guess the P.O. was a big fan of quick welding fixes. He or she also used 1/4 inch plate to patch holes in the floor and kick panals *insert blank stare here*
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Kim57

Re: Welded door hinge repair ?

Pics may help to make a decision on what the best way to go is.
Personally I think you should be able to cut out the offending area and just do a patch to fix the door.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Knothead

I had to replace both lower door hinge pockets on mine. The area around the nuts were tearing out. It can be done without cutting the door. I drilled out the factory spot welds to remove old hinge pocket. Position new one in place and spot weld at each hole that was drilled out. Some painting required
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
FFredo

Kim, knothead. Thank you, I'll grab a pic or two later. getting ready to prime the hood. It's be a busy 5 days.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Russell Ashley

It doesn't look like you could replace that lower hinge mount without cutting the door. I was replacing both the outer and inner skins when I did mine so I didn't try, but it doesn't look possible to me.
I was able to save the hinge by cutting away enough of the surrounding metal that I could grind off the weld. I got a hinge rebuild kit for all four hinges off of EBay.
When I was re-assembling it I screwed the new hinge mount to the door, bolted on the hinge, and put the door back on the truck to make sure everything fit. Then I took it back off and welded it all up. My top hinge mount was broken loose also so I fixed that while I had the door opened up. Years of adjusting the door with a block of wood had taken it's toll.
I got the outer patch panel from Brothers, inner panel and hinge bracket from BowTie Bits. I had to do some work on the hinge mount to make it fit up to the door right but the other panels fit good.

BTW, these doors are heavy. I work alone so I had t use my engine hoist to lift it into place.
Attached Images

Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
FFredo

Russell, thank you for the pics. It looks like my best bet is to replace the door. I'm guessing it will be less expensive, time and money wise.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
Russell Ashley

The parts I used came to about $125 if I remember correctly. Any door I would find around here would be in the same or worse condition than mine was so I just repaired what I had. There is a set of doors on EBay now if you would rather replace yours. They're in Cali somewhere.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
waybad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
It doesn't look like you could replace that lower hinge mount without cutting the door. I was replacing both the outer and inner skins when I did mine so I didn't try, but it doesn't look possible to me.
I was able to save the hinge by cutting away enough of the surrounding metal that I could grind off the weld. I got a hinge rebuild kit for all four hinges off of EBay.
When I was re-assembling it I screwed the new hinge mount to the door, bolted on the hinge, and put the door back on the truck to make sure everything fit. Then I took it back off and welded it all up. My top hinge mount was broken loose also so I fixed that while I had the door opened up. Years of adjusting the door with a block of wood had taken it's toll.
I got the outer patch panel from Brothers, inner panel and hinge bracket from BowTie Bits. I had to do some work on the hinge mount to make it fit up to the door right but the other panels fit good.

BTW, these doors are heavy. I work alone so I had t use my engine hoist to lift it into place.
do you have a pt# for that inner door piece?
waybad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
FFredo

Russlle, tnaks your info helped me decide. There is a guy here localy I spoke with. He has a door at a price I can live with. All I need to do is the comon repairs and move my enrternals over. He may have a few other things I need too, I'll see when I go pick the door up this weekend
Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #10
Knothead

Brothers has them, $39.99 each. Part #LDHB900
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
waybad

Thank you!!
TC
Old 07-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
Russell Ashley

I got the hinge mount that goes inside the door at BowTie Bits, p/n TF-559-LDHB-LH, $30. I also got the inner door patch panel p/n TF-559-IDB-LH there for $89. I got the outer door patch panel at Brothers.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #13
waybad

Quote:
I got the hinge mount that goes inside the door at BowTie Bits, p/n TF-559-LDHB-LH, $30. I also got the inner door patch panel p/n TF-559-IDB-LH there for $89. I got the outer door patch panel at Brothers.
thanks again!!
TC
Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
I had to replace both lower door hinge pockets on mine. The area around the nuts were tearing out. It can be done without cutting the door. I drilled out the factory spot welds to remove old hinge pocket. Position new one in place and spot weld at each hole that was drilled out. Some painting required
Knothead and others: Resurrecting this topic to try to get a bit more info from you guys. I am in the exact same position with a welded hinge pocket. I have located the spot welds and can easily drill them out. Not interested in cutting door open to get to the offending part.

Question: Once you got the old one out, how did you secure the hinge pocket in place to reweld?

I will post photos if successful for future reference.

By the way, Keystone offers Goodmark parts for these trucks. If you have an account there, no shipping and no tax. Part number is GMK4141403552R or L (depending on side). Paid $37.
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #15
Clarance J

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug224 View Post
Knothead and others: Resurrecting this topic to try to get a bit more info from you guys. I am in the exact same position with a welded hinge pocket. I have located the spot welds and can easily drill them out. Not interested in cutting door open to get to the offending part.

Question: Once you got the old one out, how did you secure the hinge pocket in place to reweld?

I will post photos if successful for future reference.

By the way, Keystone offers Goodmark parts for these trucks. If you have an account there, no shipping and no tax. Part number is GMK4141403552R or L (depending on side). Paid $37.

Dug224. When I replaced the lower part my door I lost the lower pocket location. This is how I solved the problem.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #16
waybad

cool idea!!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #17
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarance J View Post
Dug224. When I replaced the lower part my door I lost the lower pocket location. This is how I solved the problem.
Clarance J: Great idea!. Thanks for taking time to photo and publish. This JIG idea would definitely make the installation accurate. Now that you have me thinking, I could accurately transfer the spot weld locations from the old piece (assuming I don't destroy it) onto the new brace and drill 2 or 3 locations to receive metal screws to hold it in place while I weld. It is conceivable that I could even mount the door before I weld it to make sure I get the alignment right. Thanks again for getting me going...dug
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #18
Russell Ashley

That jig is a great idea, wish I'd have thought of it when I did mine. I screwed mine together and mounted the door to make sure it was right, and then welded it up.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
dug224

Quote:
That jig is a great idea, wish I'd have thought of it when I did mine. I screwed mine together and mounted the door to make sure it was right, and then welded it up.
Seems logical. I liked your "free stuff" post from the other day. I will collect a few items that I know will not be used and send them on their respective ways. Thanks for the hinge input. By the way, my son lives in Buckhead. Would like to track you down on one of our ATL visits and see your truck. dug
Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
dug224

Measured and marked the spot welds then drilled them out. So far so good. Replacement piece to be here Friday.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #21
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug224 View Post
Seems logical. I liked your "free stuff" post from the other day. I will collect a few items that I know will not be used and send them on their respective ways. Thanks for the hinge input. By the way, my son lives in Buckhead. Would like to track you down on one of our ATL visits and see your truck. dug
Dug, Please do look me up when you are down this way. I'm in the Atlanta phone directory, listed exactly as my forum ID, or let me know when and I'll give you my phone numbers.. Don't expect my truck to be anything like as nice as yours though.
Russ
Old 04-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
dug224

Quote:
Dug, Please do look me up when you are down this way. I'm in the Atlanta phone directory, listed exactly as my forum ID, or let me know when and I'll give you my phone numbers.. Don't expect my truck to be anything like as nice as yours though.
Russ
Will do...and, apparently, you have not seen my truck.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #23
dug224

The part I ordered was the wrong one. Had to go to plan "B" which was to rebuild existing hinge support. Went pretty well. I sand blasted it and hammered the torn metal back into a single plain and welded it all back together. Welded two new nuts into place. Should have welded three. The only remaining nut that I did not replace failed when I tightened the bolt. Will have to rethread it. I lined up the old spot welds in their old door holes and sunk about 6 sheet metal screws to pull it up tight. Had to slightly persuade the locations on the side of the door with a small hammer to get them to line up. Since the original spot welder missed three locations, I drilled new holes in the door and welded.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #24
Highsider

This thread is a fine example of why this forum is awesome.
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote