The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
roger55

Power steering conversion in '57 3200

I want to upgrade to power steering.
I'm putting a 305 TPI and 700R4 in the truck and am keeping the stock straight axle.

It looks like there are two (soon to be 3) different ways to go.

It seems the most often done conversion is with the Saginaw GM truck box that mounts on the outside of the frame.

Then there is the Toyota box conversion that keeps the box near where the original box is.

CPP says they're coming out with a new kit similar (in installation and workings) to the Toyota box conversion that uses their "CPP 400" box. It's supposed to be available in a couple of months.

I've read some comments that the GM box is prone to bump steer and steers too easy for an original steering wheel. I do want to stay with the original steering wheel for the classic look. I will most likely be going for an aftermarket shift column. I'm looking at the Ididit.

So, my question here is whether the Toyota kit better for drivability than the GM outside frame rail box is?
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
jgarc493

Re: Power steering conversion in '57 3200

I too would like to keep my 57 as orig as possible. Did you get any clarification? Did you do your coversion yet?
jgarc493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
roger55

No, I have not.

But, I've pretty much decided to get the CPP 400 box kit when it comes out. It's supposed to be soon.

I do already have an Ididit column (shift version) that I bought on an Ecklers 20% off holiday sale.

I am going to retain the original steering wheel. The column is the paintable one. Don't know if I'll go with black or the same color as the dash. Since I'm doing this for my wife, I'll let her make that decision.

Here's a thread where CPP responded to my questions:

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/290533/
Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
roger55

CPP now has the 400 box for 55-59 trucks available.

I just put in my order a few minutes ago.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
NEWFISHER

NADA for the 47-54 yet
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
NADA for the 47-54 yet
Is it even in the works for the AD?
Old 04-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
I want to upgrade to power steering.
I'm putting a 305 TPI and 700R4 in the truck and am keeping the stock straight axle.

It looks like there are two (soon to be 3) different ways to go.

It seems the most often done conversion is with the Saginaw GM truck box that mounts on the outside of the frame.

Then there is the Toyota box conversion that keeps the box near where the original box is.

CPP says they're coming out with a new kit similar (in installation and workings) to the Toyota box conversion that uses their "CPP 400" box. It's supposed to be available in a couple of months.

I've read some comments that the GM box is prone to bump steer and steers too easy for an original steering wheel. I do want to stay with the original steering wheel for the classic look. I will most likely be going for an aftermarket shift column. I'm looking at the Ididit.

So, my question here is whether the Toyota kit better for drivability than the GM outside frame rail box is?
"the GM box is prone to bump steer"
It's not the gm box. What the problem is. It's the CPP kit using the gm box. the current kit is poorly engineered. The box placement is just plain bad causing the draglink to be too short in turn causing bump steer.
I have used gm power steering boxes on all my projects for the past 30 years and haven't had any problems with bump steer.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
"the GM box is prone to bump steer"
It's not the gm box. What the problem is. It's the CPP kit using the gm box. the current kit is poorly engineered. The box placement is just plain bad causing the draglink to be too short in turn causing bump steer.
I have used gm power steering boxes on all my projects for the past 30 years and haven't had any problems with bump steer.
As I mentioned earlier today, I ended up not going with a GM box and going with CPP's new 400 box that mounts in the stock location.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
As I mentioned earlier today, I ended up not going with a GM box and going with CPP's new 400 box that mounts in the stock location.
Yeah I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions that might get started.
The new design looks better than what they had! but at that price I will continue to fabricate my own and save $400 bucks besides I have never bought a kit that I didn't modify.

My GMC build.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
Yeah I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions that might get started.
The new design looks better than what they had! but at that price I will continue to fabricate my own and save $400 bucks besides I have never bought a kit that I didn't modify.
Got ya.

I didn't have any idea that CPP didn't have a good kit for the GM box.
I have high hopes for their 400 box. I have their 500 box in my '55 Bel Air and I couldn't be happier with it.
I also liked the idea of keeping the p/s box in the stock location and not having to go outside the frame. It avoids me having to do any welding too.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
mknittle

I think maybe the complaints about the old kit prompted a redesign.
With the old kit there was a radical difference in the arc that the axle moved and the arc the draglink moved. When I saw some pictures posted on this board from people having problems I couldn't believe anybody would sell a kit like that!

The kit that you linked to looks much better. let us know how it works.

My GMC build.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
1project2many

Why do people stay away from power assist systems for stock or mild trucks with stock beam axle? I've seen complete 70's and 80's Corvette systems available for under $200 on E-bay/ Craigslist which would provide a cylinder and control valve. That would allow you to keep the stock steering and geometry and if done well it will appear stock.

FWIW I once had a Safety (the S looked like the Saginaw S) power steering setup from a 57 GMC 3/4 ton that was fully optioned. While Chevy used a power assist cylinder, GMC used a power box similar to modern cars. The system worked well although I tried to use it with a modern pump and ultimately had troubles keeping seals installed. I haven't seen one of those boxes again but I'm always on the lookout.

Last edited by 1project2many; 04-18-2013 at 07:01 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote