The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
richlaw1

Colorado Swap?

I have a 2012 Colorado with the V-8
I keep having this crazy idea to do a swap with a '59 Fleetside Cab and bed.......has anyone done a Colorado swap? I always see people talking about S-10 swaps......how about Colorado swaps???
richlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
lynx5653

Re: Colorado Swap?

didn't you just buy a truck from Nevada you had built
Old 12-28-2016, 11:58 PM   #3
iowaboynca

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx5653 View Post
didn't you just buy a truck from Nevada you had built
nearly spit out my wine, laughing...

but in all seriousness, i sometimes throw around the idea of looking for a 4.2 Atlas and throwing into an AD...I think there was a build doing that and i know there's a video on youtube with 4.2L w/turbo. Might even be the same guy, but i'm too lazy to look it up right now.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:03 AM   #4
joedoh

I had a couple colorado 5 cyl and heaven help me but I love that atlas engine. it makes some crazy noises at higher revs.

the colorado track width is close, and its even 6 on 5.5 so stock wheels would fit with spacers for the disc calipers. rack steering, narrow radiator, bused electronics, I would move over part of the firewall and keep the steering/pedals/HVAC too like the trailblazer swap guys do.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:15 AM   #5
iowaboynca

Great Joedoh, now you're going to figure out to piss people off w/this swap too...

Just Kidding!!!
Old 12-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #6
joedoh

haha probably. its ok though, I will just build it without taking donations this time. oh wait, I never take donations. I can always build what I want.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
whitedog76

I'm surprised that we haven't seen any Colorado/Canyon swaps, considering how popular the S10 swap is. I've seen a couple Trailblazer swaps, the front end is a little wide if you want a super low truck. I'm guessing the Colorado would be the same since they are similar platforms.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
I'm surprised that we haven't seen any Colorado/Canyon swaps, considering how popular the S10 swap is. I've seen a couple Trailblazer swaps, the front end is a little wide if you want a super low truck. I'm guessing the Colorado would be the same since they are similar platforms.

the colorado track width is about 4 inches narrower than a trailblazer. enough for some good looking wheels front and rear. wheelbase is a little bit tougher, the colorado reg cab is 111 inch wheelbase, so just a little short for a shortbed TF. but nothing that is impossible to overcome.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #9
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaboynca View Post
Great Joedoh, now you're going to figure out to piss people off w/this swap too...

Just Kidding!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Come on now, you gotta laugh, come on, I see a smile.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #10
Janky59

LMAO MARTINSR - Bravo, I love it!
2011 Ducati Hypermotard
1959 Chevy 3100
Janky59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #11
joedoh

haha thats pretty good.

I think traditional hot rodding isnt an accurate title for 90% of the guys who subscribe to it. I think more accurately those guys are NOSTALGIC hot rodders, because they eschew the very mantra of traditional hot rodding, to use what is common and inexpensive to upgrade your car to be cooler/faster/more attractive/more reliable. It started with juice brakes which were a SAFETY upgrade, split bones or four bar front arms which were a handling upgrade, and the latest engines and transmissions for reliability and more speed. if you follow that same formula today with modern parts, you are not welcome to the traditional guys, and I think thats a shame. Especially when the original speed and hot rod parts are stratospheric in price now, and the availability of reproductions make a lot more carbon copy cars and trucks. Cant have a 32 without Ardun heads or an A coupe without a chop for example, well that was probably 2% of all hot rods back in the day. The rest were guys using their ingenuity to build something cooler, faster, prettier, more reliable. Call it what it is, traditional hot rodding, and let the nostalgic guys build their priceless time machines and spit venom.

enough soapboxing. I am surprised at the grief my trucks get, in every build I have taken something completely wasted and turned it around. I am not taking apart viable restorations and blaspheming them with a frame swap, I am taking the forgotten stuff that would end up at the crusher, rolled over S10s and rusty grain trucks, and assembling them to make them cooler, faster, prettier, and more reliable.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #12
OrrieG

joedoh, good points.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:15 PM   #13
iowaboynca

I agree, that is what hot rodding is all about.

Back to the original question, I don't know about out east but you don't see many colorado/canyons out here. So its just easier to go the s10 route.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:13 AM   #14
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
haha thats pretty good.

I think traditional hot rodding isnt an accurate title for 90% of the guys who subscribe to it. I think more accurately those guys are NOSTALGIC hot rodders, because they eschew the very mantra of traditional hot rodding, to use what is common and inexpensive to upgrade your car to be cooler/faster/more attractive/more reliable. It started with juice brakes which were a SAFETY upgrade, split bones or four bar front arms which were a handling upgrade, and the latest engines and transmissions for reliability and more speed. if you follow that same formula today with modern parts, you are not welcome to the traditional guys, and I think thats a shame. Especially when the original speed and hot rod parts are stratospheric in price now, and the availability of reproductions make a lot more carbon copy cars and trucks. Cant have a 32 without Ardun heads or an A coupe without a chop for example, well that was probably 2% of all hot rods back in the day. The rest were guys using their ingenuity to build something cooler, faster, prettier, more reliable. Call it what it is, traditional hot rodding, and let the nostalgic guys build their priceless time machines and spit venom.

enough soapboxing. I am surprised at the grief my trucks get, in every build I have taken something completely wasted and turned it around. I am not taking apart viable restorations and blaspheming them with a frame swap, I am taking the forgotten stuff that would end up at the crusher, rolled over S10s and rusty grain trucks, and assembling them to make them cooler, faster, prettier, and more reliable.
Joe, very well put and makes me see it completely different.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:11 AM   #15
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Joedoh you just keep on keeping on..every truck you build is a truck saved...your doing what a lot of people just wish they could do..the thing I've noticed is everybody puts their own spin on things which is good because not ever truck is going to look like the one sitting beside it..I see things done to trucks I dont care for and some things I like but that's ok..I'll do my truck my way cause I'm the one that has to live with it..don't really care about a haters opinion...I applaude you for saving all the old trucks you can..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:39 AM   #16
crossfire84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Joedoh you just keep on keeping on..every truck you build is a truck saved...your doing what a lot of people just wish they could do..the thing I've noticed is everybody puts their own spin on things which is good because not ever truck is going to look like the one sitting beside it..I see things done to trucks I dont care for and some things I like but that's ok..I'll do my truck my way cause I'm the one that has to live with it..don't really care about a haters opinion...I applaude you for saving all the old trucks you can..
well said!
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #17
joedoh

thanks, I didnt plan on changing my builds one bit, but glad they have some support.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #18
dsraven

great points joe, I have said the same thing to a few guys on here. just build it safe at the same time cause we and our families are driving the same roads.
I am not too sure about the wheel bolt pattern on the colorado but the trailblazer and envoy, although 6 studs, are not the same pattern sa our old trucks. different circle. whoever is doing the swap will probably have to research a bunch of stuff anyway so will find out. the colorado has a different centre hole size as well i think. roadkill customs site would probably be a good source.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #19
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
great points joe, I have said the same thing to a few guys on here. just build it safe at the same time cause we and our families are driving the same roads.
I am not too sure about the wheel bolt pattern on the colorado but the trailblazer and envoy, although 6 studs, are not the same pattern sa our old trucks. different circle. whoever is doing the swap will probably have to research a bunch of stuff anyway so will find out. the colorado has a different centre hole size as well i think. roadkill customs site would probably be a good source.

yep safety is paramount to me, I like it when my daughters and wife and even grandma take the truck for a spin

the colorado is 6 on 5.5 just like the oldies, and the centerbore is the same larger size as the old trucks too. in 88 GM went to a smaller centerbore, which is why you have to open them up to use on older trucks. the colorado mini spare is a great choice for original trucks for this reason. the trailblazers and envoys are different trucks, nothing interchanges, and you are right have a 6 on 5 bolt pattern.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #20
Bruces

I am actually just about to start swapping an old truck onto a 2007 GMC Canyon frame .The truck is a 1949 Ford f1 ( sorry ) ,it was on a 1976 Chevy one ton 4x4 with 48" tires ,so I didn't have an original frame to begin with ,and the previous swap was done for mud bog racing so it was kind of thrown together .I have to cut the frame down ,but the track width was very close .My new frame was a z71 4x4 so it's got torsion front suspension on it ,there is also z71 2wd colorados with torsion bars ,so I am planning on removing the front diff and axles and either swap out to the 2wd bearings or run the stub shafts in what I have .Mine had a rod go through the block ,so the 5 in a row is gone so will swap something else in after the bugger is shortened and the cab is mounted .I currently have $25.00 into the Canyon from selling off the bits and pieces so it's a pretty cheap start on a chassis .I would be more than happy to take pictures or measurements from my chassis ,it's currently partially buried in snow but it will be in the shed in the next few days .Sorry for the Ford content ,it's very hard to find a descent starting point up here and this one kind of fell into my lap .
Bruces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:37 AM   #21
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlaw1 View Post
I have a 2012 Colorado with the V-8
I keep having this crazy idea to do a swap with a '59 Fleetside Cab and bed.......has anyone done a Colorado swap? I always see people talking about S-10 swaps......how about Colorado swaps???
Trying to start trouble again, eh Rich?
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #22
47 Fasttoys

One thing you may run into if you go with a late model chassis is wheel stud size. The later GM stuff is metric. In my case my wheel studs are 14mm. This became an issue when trying to find aftermarket wheels, most are drilled for 1/2" studs. I had to buy a 7/8 counter sunk bit to cut the holes deeper for proper lug nut contact,
Rob
Old 08-20-2022, 09:57 AM   #23
TexasRedbud

How did your use of the Colorado frame go? I am considering doing a 1955.2 GMC on that frame.
TexasRedbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 02:44 AM   #24
mr48chev

I'm going to say the main reason you don't see Colorado swaps might be common sense.

the going price at least in the Pacific North West is just too high to cut one up.
https://yakima.craigslist.org/ctd/d/...520513440.html

https://yakima.craigslist.org/ctd/d/...522757200.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...523040946.html

In this area you would have to be a rich fool to buy one to cut up.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:42 AM   #25
TexasRedbud

One of the things I do for fun is watch auctions by towing companies and government agencies that are dumping abandoned vehicles. A lot of these are bought by salvage yards. Some are not so bad and are bought by individuals who fix them. I am currently driving a 2007 Silverado that I bought AS IS for $3k. The motor could have been blown, but all I needed was to clean crap out of the tank and replace all the injectors.
I have over the last year seen 3 or 4 Colorados that were sold at a serious discount. Some were damaged in accidents, and some were sold as is. In either case, it would be possible to sell some parts that would reimburse some of the cost of the purchase. Here is and example, maybe not the best
https://www.lso.cc/listing/keyword_2...ado%2520Pickup

Since one front wheel is missing, there could be frame damage, but you get the idea.

My big concern is how well the 55.2 cab/bed will fit on the newer frame. The original frame is very flat and the newer Colorado frame rises up as it goes over the rear axle. I also understand that the location of the firewall can be a challenge.

The width of the Colorado frame is near on perfect for the 55.2. The wheelbase of the extended Colorado is longer than needed. The standard cab is to short. There is a solution there somewhere.
Has anyone tried this? Or have any idea why this would not work?
TexasRedbud is offline   Reply With Quote