The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool Jegs sbc advice

Anyone have any experience with this engine from jegs, my mom wants to buy this as a gift for me as a replacement for my current setup.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/059/7353/10002/-1

'84 c10 350 4 bolt/350
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:20 PM   #2
cfan10

Cool Re: Jegs sbc advice

I will be reusing everything from my current engine, alt, water pump, damper, distributor, wires, intake manifold, carb, exhaust manifolds.

New parts I'll replace:

Thermostat
Belts
Plugs
Hoses
Radiator
Motor mounts
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Old 05-11-2019, 12:58 AM   #3
akart

Re: Jegs sbc advice

That engine is a rebuild,has 2 bolt mains and probably rebuilt heads too.I don't know.But it says you will need a new fly wheel or ext balanced flex plate. For not too much more
(500 bucks) you can get a new Chevy Performance engine 4 bolt mains 2 pc rear main seals and you can use your flywheel or flex plate. There is a lot of good said about the new Chevy Performance engine. My next move is to get one of these and stick a better cam in it right off like a Lunati 1012070LK which I have in my truck now and really like it. But all is good there so I'll wait on that. My advise; Spend a couple of bucks more and get the new one.
akart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
Dead Parrot

If you need a basic reliable motor, that one is a good choice. Bought the same thing years ago and it has done a good job. Mine went into a 75 C10.

Pretty sure that JEGS motor is a new one from Mexico.

Don't reuse that 35 year old damper. The rubber is at or near end of life.

Consider a new water pump unless your current one is fairly new. A lot easier to install when the engine is on a stand as opposed to in the truck.

Same for fuel pump.

Be sure to properly shim the starter while the engine is on the stand. Avoid that nasty gear grinding noise from a misaligned starter/flexplate combo followed a few months later by replacing the flex plate.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #5
rideair

Before pulling the trigger, take a look at this Chevy Dealer out of Virginia that sells on eBay. Best prices around, free shipping, etc... all new GM Crate engines, if the link is not what you're looking for, search their page for other model year/engines

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-GM-...AAAOSwbaxckkQP

Enjoy,
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
jocko

Wait a minute, it's mother's day - shouldn't you be buying your mom an engine! She sounds like a saint, nice mom.
The $1499 engine is a good budget option.
The $2009 engine is interesting (link on the same page as the one you shared), but the only noteworthy advantage in it over the $1499 engine is its 4 bolt mains.

If this is just daily transpo, the $1499 engine is just fine.
But, note that it's based on the 87+ block (1 piece rear main seal), and requires externally balanced flexplate etc. So you can't just swap your current one over. Some things to consider.

Also, a second vote for Radley Chev on ebay (as rideair mentioned), and they have several offerings. Recommend check out their L31R, it's a very nice option, and around $1900+ right now on ebay. Requires a few minor things like electric fuel pump etc - it's worth googling on this site for L31 installs to see all the considerations before pulling the trigger, but it is a great engine for the $.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
...Recommend check out their L31R, it's a very nice option, and around $1900+ right now on ebay. Requires a few minor things like electric fuel pump etc - it's worth googling on this site for L31 installs to see all the considerations before pulling the trigger, but it is a great engine for the $.
I would second an engine with vortec heads, which this L31 has.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Ive purchased two of these engines over the years and they were great one went into my 1982 show truck and the other into an El camino I was building... great low buck standard engines

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #9
akart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Wait a minute, it's mother's day - shouldn't you be buying your mom an engine! She sounds like a saint, nice mom.
The $1499 engine is a good budget option.
The $2009 engine is interesting (link on the same page as the one you shared), but the only noteworthy advantage in it over the $1499 engine is its 4 bolt mains.

If this is just daily transpo, the $1499 engine is just fine.
But, note that it's based on the 87+ block (1 piece rear main seal), and requires externally balanced flexplate etc. So you can't just swap your current one over. Some things to consider.

Also, a second vote for Radley Chev on ebay (as rideair mentioned), and they have several offerings. Recommend check out their L31R, it's a very nice option, and around $1900+ right now on ebay. Requires a few minor things like electric fuel pump etc - it's worth googling on this site for L31 installs to see all the considerations before pulling the trigger, but it is a great engine for the $.
And you have to buy a new manifold for those vortec heads which I am not a fan of. I still think the Chevy crate w/the 4 bolt main and 2 pc. seal is the way to go and all your parts bolt right up.
akart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #10
Matt Man

I think this is a GM Goodwrench engine seems similar to the one I installed in my 81. The engine is great, despite the oil leaks it has but its a great runner and has tons of low end torque. It's no screamer as its tapped out at 4500 rpm but its smooth, reliable, and great for a truck. I towed 4500 pounds with mine last year when I moved to Idaho and it did great on power. Mine has a edelbrock performer intake, 4bbl quadrajet and ramhorn manifolds.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #11
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by akart View Post
And you have to buy a new manifold for those vortec heads which I am not a fan of. I still think the Chevy crate w/the 4 bolt main and 2 pc. seal is the way to go and all your parts bolt right up.
Slotting the center bolt holes should make his existing manifold work, correct?

If not that, I see four-barrel vortec manifolds listed for $130 on ebay with free shipping. $140 for the same thing in aluminum.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by kipps; 05-12-2019 at 03:53 PM.
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #12
cfan10

I have been using an Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump out of the passenger side tank, truck does have dual tanks. Flexplate is what came on the truck when I bought it, so its a good idea to replace it...but other parts such as starter, fuel pump others listed are fairly new, two years old maybe 4k miles since installed. Thanks for all the great advice!
Old 05-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #13
cfan10

Cool Re: Jegs sbc advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Slotting the center bolt holes should make his existing manifold work, correct?

If not that, I see four-barrel vortec manifolds listed for $130 on ebay with free shipping. $140 for the same thing in aluminum.
"Her" not his lol!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:48 PM   #14
sweetk30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Before pulling the trigger, take a look at this Chevy Dealer out of Virginia that sells on eBay. Best prices around, free shipping, etc... all new GM Crate engines, if the link is not what you're looking for, search their page for other model year/engines

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-GM-...AAAOSwbaxckkQP

Enjoy,
got mine from them best price to my door and super service . L31 vortec engine .

i have efi so intank pump . had flywheel for the 1-piece design . otherwise bolt in and go minus intake .

i have my like new edelbrock vortec square bore 4 barrel intake sitting here collecting dust . 500 miles on it and painted black is all .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote