The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
travlinman

Please advise. Shorty headers C-30 454

I have a 1-ton xrew cab C-30 454 that im bagging and need a set of shorty headers for ground clearance. The stock manifolds were cracked along with a cyl. Head from the eng overheating. The motor has been completely gone thru and rebuilt with just a bigger rv cam and intake. I cant seem to find anything thats reasonably priced. I found the Sanderson shorties uncoated for 389.00. Does anyone know of anything else?
I searched and read some have used chevelle headers and also some have tried and they didn't fit. Does anyone have any experience with these car headers?
Ive seen tons of chevelle shorty's on ebay for 150. Or so.
Please advise on options u may know of or experiences u may have.
If i cant find something under 300 i might just find another set of stock manifolds
82 c30 crew cab dually ( now building )
91 r30 crew cab dually (parted and gone)
69 swb-sold
71 lab sold
all in progress......__
..........._______ |__\__
..........|__(O)______(O)] ........................
travlinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Please advise. Shorty headers C-30 454

I have 3/4 length Chevelle (68-72) headers from Sanderson on my 67 1/2 ton w/a BBC. They technically fit 'as-is' but were to close to the frame rail for my taste. A couple of quick passes w/a grinder to remove a little off the edge of the rail & I was good to go. They allowed plumbing a 3" exhaust & not be below the rails.

My 89 CC dually uses full length 70-81 f-body headers (1 3/4 primaries; 3" collector). The taller frame on the 1-tons allowed the use of full length headers & the collector flange isn't below the frame rail. As a matter of fact, if you lie down on the ground looking under my dually, the only part of the exhaust you can see is @ the back of the mufflers as they're placed right about where the frame kicks-up (3" exhaust through the mufflers necked down to 2.5" tailpipes). They didn't require any trimming on the rails.

I wish I could provide a p/n for you but can't. I purchased them of C-list for $50 from a guy using them in a 1/2 ton Squarebody 'drag truck'. I bought them just to see if/how well they would fit. Since they did & were in like new shape, I decided to just use them. The only mods I did were make my own collector flanges (3/8" thick) & welded them directly to the tube, added o2 sensor bungs, & ceramic coated them. 3yrs/>5k miles later they still look new.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #3
travlinman

Re: Please advise. Shorty headers C-30 454

Thanks scoti for the response. I dont mind trimming the frame if needed. I was wondering if the 1/2 frames are different around the motor than the 1 tons and i might have more room.
I can use 68-72 chevelle headers or 70-81 f-body full length headers?
That narrows the search for me.
Thank u
82 c30 crew cab dually ( now building )
91 r30 crew cab dually (parted and gone)
69 swb-sold
71 lab sold
all in progress......__
..........._______ |__\__
..........|__(O)______(O)] ........................
travlinman is offline   Reply With Quote