The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
JimDirt

Non cab gas tank and spare tire ?

Is there any way to have a gas tank , not in the cab of my 58 stepside ?? , but still keep the spare tire underneath the bed ?? , or is the only option to buy a cutout left(or right if they make them)stepside bed fender and a spare tire mounting kit ?? , i was kind of hoping to keep the body parts original , but i would rather stay away from using a cab mounted tank i think , but would also like to keep a spare on/in/under the truck somewhere without just throwing it in the bed , since i will be using the bed to haul dirt bikes , as soon as my hand/wrist arm heals i plan on starting on the truck finally , (i would have been starting on it right now if it had not been for my wrist getting crushed a few weeks back , so its part gathering time till i can actually use my hand again)

So are there any real feasible options for a tank to use and/or spare tire fender/mount that wont break my minimalist bank account ???

I am thinking somewhere in the 20 gallon size for tank so i wont have to stop at every other gas station
JimDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
capnduane

Re: Non cab gas tank and spare tire ?

Just an idea for you, I mounted my spare upright in the bed with a long 1/2in bolt thru the bedside.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
JimDirt

Cool idea .....except my plan is to use the truck to haul around my dirt bikes and riding gear , so pretty much all the bed space will be spoken for even though it is a 8 ft bed , with 2 bikes and gear bags , gas cans ,etc , there just wont be any room for a tire inside the bed sides

Has anyone experimented with older or late model Chevy saddle tanks on a stepside ???
Old 09-03-2016, 11:09 PM   #4
BKWDco

I haven't moved my tank out of the cab yet, when I do it will move behind the rear axel, so I'm not much help. But it is nice to see someone else loading these trucks up!

I'm replacing my bed and mounting 2 of these...http://riskracing.com/store/12-lock-...rt-system.html

Name:  IMG_5004.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  58.5 KB
BKWDco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:59 PM   #5
mr48chev

A skinny spare will fit behind the seat where the gas tank used to be.

The other option would be to put a tank on one side of the drive shaft ala S10 and run the spare where it is. Tank on one side and exhaust on the other.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
JimDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKWDco View Post
I haven't moved my tank out of the cab yet, when I do it will move behind the rear axel, so I'm not much help. But it is nice to see someone else loading these trucks up!

I'm replacing my bed and mounting 2 of these...http://riskracing.com/store/12-lock-...rt-system.html

Attachment 1567281
I have seen those , though i have a stepside so inside room is less , i was thinking more like a rail on the front to hold the tires , and just flip down loops in the corners of the floor for tie down points , to allow room in the bed for gear bags , ramps , etc.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #7
JimDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
A skinny spare will fit behind the seat where the gas tank used to be.

The other option would be to put a tank on one side of the drive shaft ala S10 and run the spare where it is. Tank on one side and exhaust on the other.
Will one of those tanks fit with a stepside ?? , and if so , what capacity are they ?? , as i want more capacity that the stock behind the seat tank if possible to allow longer distance between fill-ups , and what year/specific bed type S10 tanks are you referring to ??
Old 09-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
Foot Stomper

Have you cons mounting spare on front box panel?

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #9
JimDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
Have you cons mounting spare on front box panel?

The only con would be if it cramps the bikes and gear bags , gas cans etc , as those things will need to be there without the possibility of falling out , i have not taken exact measurements of the bike , but they are around 7 ft+ , so i would be less than 1 ft of possible space after the bike is in the back , and with 2 bikes you can't turn them slightly sideways because of the narrow width of the stepside , so there will not be much forgiveness while keeping the tailgate closed , which will be mandatory to avoid things falling out the back

But that would be my main concern with it in the front of the bed , is if i can contain everything and not need to keep the gate down , as mentioned , the side room will be minimal at best with 2 bikes in the bed , which is why i was considering a fender mounted spare if necessary , if i can't get a tank to work with the stock spare location

My main driving of the truck will be as my bike hauler , so everything needs to work around that concept
Old 09-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #10
nvrdone

how about a tank out of a 70's suburban / blazer. 21 gal & mounts under the bed between the cab & rear axle. keep the spare under the rear of the bed & run the exhaust under the left side
nvrdone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #11
JimDirt

so this is a saddle tank then ?? , and it will work on a stepside ??? , will i be able to get the proper ohm sender for it to work with the stock 58 gas gauge ??

If so this sounds ;like it will solve my problem ....
Old 09-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #12
solidaxel

Nothing fits better than a AAA card and a cell phone in your pocket, and no spare tire on the trucks or vettes
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #13
mr48chev

Unless you are one one of the roads running across Nevada where the closest AAA service truck is two hundred miles away. Personally I'd rather spend fifteen or twenty minutes changing the tire and then make it on into the next tire store to get the tire repaired or replaced than wait on the the side of the road for someone to show up to change my tire.

Last tire trouble I had on the road in my 48 was from hitting a piece of scrap metal with the rear tire on the 48 that got slung though the fender. Well over 100 degrees and it took about 20 minutes to change the tire and on into Pueblo Co were we bought an overpriced used tire and headed on home.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #14
JimDirt

Yea Idaho is famous for its pothole covered 1920 roads that just love to destroy tires , rims and suspension ... i would rather have a spare when i am 80 miles from any town up in the mountains on the side of a dirt road with no cell service , which is usually the case when you go up any mountain road in Idaho ... and good luck seeing another vehicle for at least 4 hours , if at all ....
Old 09-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #15
mr48chev

And in that area good luck having cell phone service. I guess if you never travel much and a long trip to a car show is a hundred miles no spare is reasonable but when you might travel several hundred miles for a two day event over stretches of road with no cell service and far from any type of automotive service being able to handle simple situations such as a flat on your own trump smugly having a card in your pocket.

Or do as my best friend did with his roadster and make sure your traveling buddy has his spare, jack and lug wrench and make sure his spare fits your lug pattern.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #16
capnduane

And don't forget a set of lug nuts that work with your spare wheel, as alot of us have custom wheels, and the lug nuts are different!
Old 09-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #17
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDirt View Post
Yea Idaho is famous for its pothole covered 1920 roads that just love to destroy tires , rims and suspension ... i would rather have a spare when i am 80 miles from any town up in the mountains on the side of a dirt road with no cell service , which is usually the case when you go up any mountain road in Idaho ... and good luck seeing another vehicle for at least 4 hours , if at all ....
Once got locked out of car at the rest stop in the Raft River Valley near Sweetzer Summit going to Utah. Had AAA, called in for a lock smith, nearest was minimum 2 hours away in Pocatello. I kept after it and got into the car in 45 minutes (no one passing thru had a slim jim) I called AAA back and they still had not dispatched the lock smith. Seems like back east you are always within 10 miles of a community (old wagon travel distance to towns for delivering grain, corn, etc.). Out west there are lots of roads where you are literally hundreds of mile from any town, and even then may not have a towing service. When the 59 was my DD, hunting, fishing and camping rig I always carried two spares and a box with spare starter, altenator, fuel pump, distributor and carb, duct tape, bailing wire, JB Weld, silicone sealants and common gaskets, and electrical box with wire, cutters, connectors. Never got stranded but had some interesting fixes along the way.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #18
JimDirt

When i was a kid riding in my truck when it was my dads (i was about 7 when the "road trips" in it started) , but going from So. Cal. to Ontario , Canada (south west coast to north east coast) my dad would carry spare heads , complete gasket sets , oil , a spare Quadrajet , fuel line (metal and rubber) brake shoes ,15 gallons of gas in the old metal Jerry cans , and a bumper lift (a tall hydraulic jack that could lift the entire front or rear end 3 ft off the ground , by the bumper) , and a ice chest full of food , he said he would rather be prepared and have stuff he may not use , then have the need for something he did not have
Old 09-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #19
_Ogre

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #20
JimDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post

I have been searching eBay since i made this topic and you posted that picture , and i have not found any (used/affordable) spare tire fenders and/or mounts , they seem to be scarce , what other year fenders fit the 58 ?? , as i can't find any 58-59 so far , not affordable one's anyway , and where else can i look (again keeping it affordable for a guy on a serious low budget , which is why i have been looking for used)
Old 09-18-2016, 04:16 PM   #21
_Ogre

most guys take the fender and bracket off and go with a smooth fender
now that you posted this you may hear from some of those guys on this forum
55 thru 66 short stepside will fit, the mid and long beds have a different cutout and bracket

i've always liked the side mounted spare, my first 58 had it as did a few more since
i did have top modify my drivers side mirror for the wide spare tire

Old 09-18-2016, 10:43 PM   #22
JimDirt

Cool thanks , hopefully someone has one they want to trade or sell (reasonably) , i just figure if i do the fender spare then i don't have to worry about putting a tank under the bed (fender mounted filler) anymore and can get one (whichever one i can get reasonably that will hold around 2-22 gal , so i can actually drive more than a few miles and still be able to have a spare , since the truck will be a driver

And never thought about the tire creating a blind spot , though it would not stick out farther than the fender , so it must be the height that is the issue , yes ??
Old 09-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #23
bowt1ed

JimDirt, I currently have a driver's side cut out and thinking about going to standard. Perhaps a swap....?

Cheers, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #24
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
now that you posted this you may hear from some of those guys on this forum
ask and ye shall have results
post up some pics guys

Old 09-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #25
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Don't laugh, this stuff works. I have used it twice; worked so well that I never bothered to get the tire permanently repaired. Not only does it seal, it inflates. Nothing worse than having a good spare, only to find it has 5 lbs of air in it.
Attached Images

Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote