The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #26
gigamanx

Re: All projects start with a dream

Got a response from the last link I posted earlier with some updates...

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5774783348.html

- Body is not mounted. Just sitting on the frame
- Bonus It is titled as 52 Chevy on original vin tag
- 5.3 LS engine is a 2003 Tahoe. I read up and found the 5.3 engine Tahoe can tow 7500lbs which would be sweet if the S10 chassis it sits on can be beefed up to handle the same.
I am told a shop charged $6500 to mount the engine and trans and redo all the front suspension components of the S10 chassis. That is where the project ended because it was costing the guy too much money.

Got me excited about the prospects again since the engine sounds great, the S10 chassis would be great, and the body still looks pretty solid. I am awaiting more pictures of the state of the interior, bed, and chassis. I'm also waiting on a response to the rear end and transmission currently in it.

Would the updates change your mind on passing this one up?

Last edited by gigamanx; 09-19-2016 at 09:32 PM.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:49 AM   #27
joedoh

sooooo.... whats actually done? the motors bolted in, so what? its probably in the wrong spot if they just used swap mounts. looks like parts piled up prettily to me. you will have 5k more in it in a blink, harness, engine harness, radiator, body mount kit, steering column, exhaust. and you will be working hard too.

what can you do yourself? you could spend less than 3500 and have that same pile of parts pretty easily. truck drivetrains (they are not LS engines although they are the same engine family) are 5-600 if you pull em, with the harness. as this guy shows, its not hard to pile up parts, its hard to see it through.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #28
gigamanx

I guess any project could be looked at in the context of "so what next?" Even a completed truck has things that could be gone back and done again. I think what you're trying to say is make sure the things that are done don't add time to the project. One hindrance I have on this build would be the lack of space for extra cars and parts. I like that the engine and transmission exist without me having to source another car, part it out, take what I need, etc.

What can I do myself? Just about anything, I just don't know how yet.

Can I get the same pile of parts, yes. Can I get it without adding extra projects, donor cars, time, and effort to an already monumental project...maybe not.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:48 PM   #29
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
I guess any project could be looked at in the context of "so what next?" Even a completed truck has things that could be gone back and done again. I think what you're trying to say is make sure the things that are done don't add time to the project. One hindrance I have on this build would be the lack of space for extra cars and parts. I like that the engine and transmission exist without me having to source another car, part it out, take what I need, etc.

What can I do myself? Just about anything, I just don't know how yet.

Can I get the same pile of parts, yes. Can I get it without adding extra projects, donor cars, time, and effort to an already monumental project...maybe not.

my cruddy opinion, worth only what it costs, is that when you buy something that is advertised as complete it is usually not complete. any value evaporates when you need a lot of parts bought singly that would have come from a complete donor, and with a donor you get that intrinsic knowledge from dismantling that a box of random parts does not give you.

one of the best things about asking a forum questions is you can get advice from guys who have started where you started, who knew once what you know now, and have themselves asked the same questions, and are separated from you only by time. time and by extension experience has grown their knowledge, and occasionally makes them forget that, at one time, the perceptions of their time, value, opportunity, and skill were at that original level. when you ask for opinions on a project I cant help but look at it with my eyes as they are now, having done a couple of these, instead of my eyes then, excited and even enthusiastic about it despite what isnt shown or known. my apologies if I seem like I am shutting a door on your ideas, nothing could further from my intention.

If you love figuring stuff out, this is the project for you. if you are more a "tab a in slot b" guy, you will still be successful just with a different kind of party at the end.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #30
gigamanx

[QUOTE=joedoh;7719014]

If you love figuring stuff out, this is the project for you.

QUOTE]

I am that guy, but time is never on my side when it comes to figuring things out. I still have a goal of having a running driving truck even if plenty more work is to be done. I do agree, pulling the things out of a donor car would allow me to make sure I have every bit I need instead of having to run back out and find more stuff. Time vs Money I'm sure is a constant struggle with these projects.

I equate it to salt water fish tanks. I built two from a tank and a stand on craigslist. I can now look at a picture and tell someone if the craigslist tank is a good deal or not and how much more work there is to be done.

I'm worried that I look at all of this truck stuff with rosy glasses of excitement just like I did with my $400 budget fish tank. That tank cost me $2,000 more before there was water in it and took about 6 months to plumb and fit. I wouldn't persuade someone against doing it, but help them see what is realistic.

For my timeframe of 6-12 months to have a running driving truck, should I even look at some of these rusty projects sitting in a heap or do I just find a running driving truck in bad shape to start off with and go from there. Some reward now, some reward later
Old 09-20-2016, 03:34 PM   #31
joedoh

definitely learn from your experience with the fish tank. double your first time estimate, triple your first cost estimate, and be prepared to extend both!

Old 09-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #32
gigamanx

On the hunt now. Getting an idea on how far $5000 will go. I have found a couple of regional running trucks for around that price with varying degrees of work needed. I have basically figured out the following price ranges:

$1000-$2000 - Body needs lots of work, no interior, engine probably hasn't run in a few years
$2000-$3500 - Body needs lots of work, may have a new chassis or engine, probably not running or needs major mechanical work or is half way through some restomod.
$3500-$5000 - Body needs minor work, original engine runs and drives. May need minor mechanical such as brakes or tires.
$5000 - $7500 - Body needs minor work, mechanical is all good
$7500 - $10K - No body work needed, mechanical is good. Usually original chassis and engine.

Am I pretty close on my expectations?

Examples:
< $5K http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/5763847696.html
> $5K http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/5783566232.html