The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2020, 10:08 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

C100 mig welding gas

Today I got the final part of my C100 or CO2 mig welding parts.

If your looking to weld plate steel or heavy sheet metal enough to justify the extra purchase. My feeling from making a press jig it is worth the money especially the way I go through bottles. Plus I can easily get CO2 while at work.

It does splatter more then the typical C25 most of us use, but the extra bite into thicker metals is nice. It seems to cut through mill scale alot better from what I have seen tonight.

Depending on what your welding. My best guess is right about double the splatter you will get vs C25.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:21 AM   #2
dieseldawg142

Re: C100 mig welding gas

i got an old Millermatic 200, used to use CO2, but i don't use it everyday, so i switched over to mig mix (c25)
besides less spatter, i find it lays down a nice smooth bead.
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: C100 mig welding gas

C25 will almost always lay down a better bead, and do it cleaner almost all the time.

FYI I now have 2 bottles of C25 for when I need them or want them.

But if your like me who always has access to C02 or you have C02 tanks already. With prices in my area, and what info I found out online. I can weld with CO2 for roughly twice as long for roughly 1/3 the cost of the gas. A C02 tank is roughly 1/2 the cost of typical C25 tank. A Harris C02 regulator was $85 delivered.

The post was to help people decide if they want to try it to weld more economically or get a little more bite for certain situations.

As it stands in my personal life I typically go through about 6 bottles of C25 a year at $65 a exchange. Just over 1/2 the welding is on 1/8" or thicker metals. So if I keep going I can save a $100 or so easily a year on consumables.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote