The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool Crankshaft Bearings

Is it possible to replace crankshaft bearings with the engine still in, I was told to change the bearings if connecting rods are in good condition polish crank with fine sandpaper. Change oil 10w-30 diesel oil, replace oil pump and that may last a while.
I was told this by an old shade tree mechanic who's yard is like a time capsule of old parts trucks, after I explained that I'm saving to buy an ls (low miles) and really don't want to buy another sbc, not like these are common at yards.
As always thanks for your advice...it is greatly appreciated!

'84 c10 305 v8/th350
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010

Last edited by cfan10; 08-21-2017 at 05:09 AM.
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Crankshaft Bearings

It might be possible but will likely be a RPITA. And trying to polish the crank journals without pulling the crank may not be possible. Plus you will be working under an engine dripping oil in your face while trying to do precision work in a tight place.

If you are planning on doing an engine swap, you are going to need a way to pull your old engine and replace with the LS. Why not get that stuff now and use it to pull out your old engine and put it on an engine stand? Now what you are wanting to do becomes fairly simple.

Before starting, do check prices on a gasket set, bearing set etc. Your cheap repair may turn out to be more expensive then planned. And you will always find more wrong then you thought. Any money spent on your old soon to be scrapped engine is money lost and pushes out the date of the LS swap. The scrap yard doesn't pay you more for having new bearings in a dead motor. If your truck still moves under its own power, ignore the death rattles and keep saving for your LS.

Another option is to park your truck and pick up a beater vehicle while you are saving for the motor swap. The beater car will always have a floor sell for scrap value when your truck has its new motor, plus you will have something to make parts runs in during the swap.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
cfan10

Cool Re: Crankshaft Bearings

Thanks for the advice! I was talking to the elder who happens to be my neighbor, I asked him would he do the repair he told me he can't work on his vehicles anymore because of RA and showed me his hands!
So after pricing the bearings and oil pump doesn't seem to be moneywise...I originally wanted to carb a 5.3 but reading the specs on a 4.8 and considering gas mileage is a factor since it'll be a daily again. I may even do a 4.3 vortec since I have access to one and all wiring.
I'm in Louisiana so all the local yards are filled with flooded vehicles.
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote