The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
Harleymike

tail end of frame is bent

after I bought the truck I realized the frame was bent. I talked to a local body shop, told them it was bent up about an inch. They said no problem to repair. Here is a pick of it. It is pretty square with cross measuring but goes up an inch by the passenger side tail end.
Ive never dealt with a bent frame so was kinda freaking out at first.
Attached Images

Harleymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:11 AM   #2
vince1

Re: tail end of frame is bent

To me that looks more like a mismatched spring problem.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:41 AM   #3
PGSigns

Here is how I check a frame. Put it on the flatest section of concrete you have. That may be your garage floor. Jack up the front and put it on jack stands using the frame to place them. now do the back up by the rear end where the frame starts to run straight to the back. I then use a 4 foot level on the frame just behind the front bumper and shim under the jack stands till the frame is level. Then see if you can do it in the back with the level right over your jack stands. Most of the time its not a problem. The put the level on the frame horns in the back where the bumper bolt up and look to see if one is bent up or down. These frames will twist with the truck sitting on any surface that is not the some angle under the front and back tires. Your frame may be fine just your driveway has a bit of angle in it.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
Harleymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Here is how I check a frame. Put it on the flatest section of concrete you have. That may be your garage floor. Jack up the front and put it on jack stands using the frame to place them. now do the back up by the rear end where the frame starts to run straight to the back. I then use a 4 foot level on the frame just behind the front bumper and shim under the jack stands till the frame is level. Then see if you can do it in the back with the level right over your jack stands. Most of the time its not a problem. The put the level on the frame horns in the back where the bumper bolt up and look to see if one is bent up or down. These frames will twist with the truck sitting on any surface that is not the some angle under the front and back tires. Your frame may be fine just your driveway has a bit of angle in it.
Jimmy
I did most of that already. It is definitely bent. When I took the right rear fender off it was a different colour under the brown paint, and there is a small wrinkle in the side of the box down low near the back. Also the bumper, its a home made jobby, was bent up and in towards the right rear as well.
It was hit down low in the rear and pushed up.
It doesn't appear to be bent, just pushed up on that tail piece.
I did a bunch of cross measurements and up and down measurements. All cross measurement were good, most I got was 1/4 inch out. I figure thats pretty good for a 51 year old frame.
The up and down measurement shows 1 inch out on the back right.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Harleymike

I just sent back out and did some more measuring. Used a level and checked it over.
My garage floor is level. The frame is level until i get to the hump above the tires. I starts to go off there. A little less than 1/4 inch. Then keeps getting worse towards the back end of the frame.
Like I thought. Its out an inch by the tail end.
All other measurements are pretty damn close.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
padresag

that is a difficult way to measure as you have variables in there that can cause differences
and that is called suspension. the frame should be measured independent of the suspension. all 4 corners of the frame equidistance from a flat surface and then the level to find where it differs
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #7
The Rocknrod

Swap the coil springs (side to side) and see what happens.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #8
oldusafmsgt

From your pictures, the whole truck is leaning left. I'd swap coils, it's an easy job, and see what it looks like.
1963 Chevy C10 Short Fleetside
1965 Chevy C10 Short Stepside
1965 Chevy C10 Long Fleetside
1966 GMC 1000 Long Fleetside
1966 Chevy C10 Short Fleetside
oldusafmsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #9
Harleymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldusafmsgt View Post
From your pictures, the whole truck is leaning left. I'd swap coils, it's an easy job, and see what it looks like.
The front end sits dead level. In person you can clearly see it rise at the back passenger corner.
I even went around and checked each tires height. They were all off a bit. Being so old they were not sitting the same as each other. So let air out and put air in so they sat the same height all around.

But once i have the cab and front clip off I may try the coils change just incase.
I'll probably just order new ones, i was going to change them out anyways.

I can also jack it up on all corners and check it out.

Actually after writing all this i just thought. I measured the springs and there is less than 1/4 diff between the two. It starts about there and goes up to a full inch by the end of the frame.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #10
hotrodder

Take it to the body shop, when it is put on the frame rack the rack will be level, the shop will make sure the truck is level and pull the rear corner down. No use worrying about it, it is a simple easy pull. They will probably charge about 2hr labor time.
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:32 PM   #11
Harleymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodder View Post
Take it to the body shop, when it is put on the frame rack the rack will be level, the shop will make sure the truck is level and pull the rear corner down. No use worrying about it, it is a simple easy pull. They will probably charge about 2hr labor time.
Your right. I should really stop worrying about it and analyzing it so much. LOL

Thanks
Old 08-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #12
hotrodder

I'm the same way, if something is or seems wrong it drives me crazy( more so than I already am ) until it gets figured out.
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #13
Harleymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodder View Post
I'm the same way, if something is or seems wrong it drives me crazy( more so than I already am ) until it gets figured out.
Absolutely. LOL I won't be happy until its straight. But of course then there will be something else.