The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
BBC Motorhead

how to mount powersteering box on non power frame?

I bought a truck in parts and come to find out the frame must be a '67. The area where the steering box mounts has the outward dimples for the four mounting bolts but no indent on the frame. I have a box with the numbers 7802644 on it. I read this is a newer box but should fit. Would I be crazy to put some small spacers in so it clears or is there a better way. I should also add the frame is already powder coated don't really want to cut or weld to it.

Thanks in advance!
BBC Motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: how to mount powersteering box on non power frame?

-
Some people will Poo-Poo spacers but I have used them with no problems. Keep them as thin as you can with a decent diameter and make sure that the holes are just the right size for the bolts. Use grade 8 bolts with large washers on the inside of the frame. Oh, and be sure and re-check them after you have put a few miles on the truck

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-31-2011 at 11:51 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #3
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

I'll second that, I'm running spacers on Bessie with no issues. I would rather have good quality hardened spacers and hardware, than heat up the frame and beat a dimple into it....JMHO

Eventually, I want to upgrade to welded spacers and a backing plate, strictly due the fact that she gets worked alot (3/4 ton) and my boys will drive her.
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I use the REZ Engineering kit. It runs about 60 bucks and comes with nice powdercoated spacer plate and a doubler plate that installs inside of the framerail to sandwich the stock frame and avoid cracking.

Note that I stripped mine and repowdercoated it a different color to match my other parts.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
GMCPaul

We stock the 1967 & early 68 Power steering conversion brackets for the frame of the 1967 & early 1968 truck frames that are not dimpled for a integral power steering gear box, they are Part# 692996
You can find them listed as the last item on the following page of our web site
http://www.gmcpauls.com/steering2.htm
For those of you that used shims only to do this definetely keep a eye on where the bolts pass through the frame because extending the mounting area without using a brace behind the frame leads to far greater stress on the bolt holes causing them to tear the frame over time and if un-noticed for to long it will lead to the bolts either tearing through the frame or in one of our customers case the entire frame section breaking off with the integral power steering gear box still attached, and you MOST Definetely should use no less than grade 8 hardware to do this.
Paul @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote