The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #51
jlsanborn

Re: My grandsons 68 stepper

Thanks for the tip! I looked at their site and they have a ton of options. Still kicking the hydraulic clutch option around too.
Can't stop eyeballin' that red paint! You painted the doors separate then mounted them on the cab right? I'm struggling with that whole bit. I'd like to paint all the panels separate but I'm worried I'll ding them up at assembly or they won't match.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #52
54belair

I painted the inside of the doors OFF the truck. I couldnt figure out where I wanted to do a tape line (between interior of truck and exterior), so, I painted the entire cab at one time. I painted the firewall first (cause I wasnt that concerned about any overspray), then I went to the interior, then exterior. After the cab was cleared and had cured for a couple days I carefully hung the doors---after entirely covering the cab in plastic sheeting. I actually bolted the doors thru the plastic sheeting then painted the exterior of the door in place.
I will be removing the doors before we cut and buff.

Dings are unfortunately a reality. I have already been There!! I had two flourescent fixtures mounted to a 4' step ladder------well, when moving stuff around in the shop, that stupid ladder turned over-----with the light fixture hitting one rear fender and leaving a couple small white paint scuffs on the wheel well lip. (had a kicking screaming fit over that!!), but it didnt dent or get into the base coat, just scuffed the final coat of clear----so, it will sand and buff out.

I was worried about panel mismatch as well, but I was careful when mixing the red and tried to be as consistant as possible in the application. The color mismatch thing was the main reason I switched from a three stage paint to just a base clear. If youre less than a professional with less than a totally sealed paint booth, you need to minimize (as best you can) the possibilities for failure. Something to remember, it seems easier to get an excellent paint job (with matching panels) if you pick an opaque color rather than a transluscent color. Mine is a transluscent color, but I think it turned out ok.

One other thing to remember-----unless you are willing to Pay several thousand dollars, there are no Perfect paint jobs. If you do it at home---be as careful as you can--and love it for what ever it is when its done!
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030

Last edited by 54belair; 10-19-2013 at 11:45 AM.
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #53
Low Elco

Wow, that came out nice! Great job!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #54
jlsanborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54belair View Post
I painted the inside of the doors OFF the truck. I couldnt figure out where I wanted to do a tape line (between interior of truck and exterior), so, I painted the entire cab at one time. I painted the firewall first (cause I wasnt that concerned about any overspray), then I went to the interior, then exterior. After the cab was cleared and had cured for a couple days I carefully hung the doors---after entirely covering the cab in plastic sheeting. I actually bolted the doors thru the plastic sheeting then painted the exterior of the door in place.
I will be removing the doors before we cut and buff.

Dings are unfortunately a reality. I have already been There!! I had two flourescent fixtures mounted to a 4' step ladder------well, when moving stuff around in the shop, that stupid ladder turned over-----with the light fixture hitting one rear fender and leaving a couple small white paint scuffs on the wheel well lip. (had a kicking screaming fit over that!!), but it didnt dent or get into the base coat, just scuffed the final coat of clear----so, it will sand and buff out.

I was worried about panel mismatch as well, but I was careful when mixing the red and tried to be as consistant as possible in the application. The color mismatch thing was the main reason I switched from a three stage paint to just a base clear. If youre less than a professional with less than a totally sealed paint booth, you need to minimize (as best you can) the possibilities for failure. Something to remember, it seems easier to get an excellent paint job (with matching panels) if you pick an opaque color rather than a transluscent color. Mine is a transluscent color, but I think it turned out ok.

One other thing to remember-----unless you are willing to Pay several thousand dollars, there are no Perfect paint jobs. If you do it at home---be as careful as you can--and love it for what ever it is when its done!
Sounds like solid advice. Again, looks great!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #55
54belair

In Everyones' life there eventually comes a bargain!!!

As I was surfing thru craigslist lately I found an ad for wheels and tires. I opened up the ad and found that it was for a set of TTII's, polished, 17"--with caps, lug nuts and nearly new tires. The tires arent exactly what I want--but they are nearly new and included. I had been looking at TTII's and the price for wheels only was about $800.
Now to the bargain part-----whole package = $600.
On a project that is late and over budget, its nice to finally luck onto a bargain. Pics this weekend.
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 10-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #56
Homebuilt Hotrods

Quote:
In Everyones' life there eventually comes a bargain!!!

As I was surfing thru craigslist lately I found an ad for wheels and tires. I opened up the ad and found that it was for a set of TTII's, polished, 17"--with caps, lug nuts and nearly new tires. The tires arent exactly what I want--but they are nearly new and included. I had been looking at TTII's and the price for wheels only was about $800.
Now to the bargain part-----whole package = $600.
On a project that is late and over budget, its nice to finally luck onto a bargain. Pics this weekend.
nice!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #57
jlsanborn

Awesome score! So you think you can ask $300 for the tires you got, maybe take $200 and get the rubber you wanted? How close are they? Maybe just keep them? Lets see the pictures!
Old 10-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #58
54belair

There are bargains--and then there are Bargains!! It seems I was premature in throwing my drunken celebration for the Big Score I got! LOL
I actually bought (or committed to purchase) the set prior to seeing them up close. The 85% rubber on the tires------well,, maybe if the lights are low enough three of the tires could be 50% (?) While one rear----I dont believe I could get drunk enough to see more than 30% ! But, in a photograph--they look killer!!
I hammered him a little on the price and still got 4 excellent wheels at a lot less than new price. Im happy.
The guy has a 67 camaro project that he's getting rid of-- Im thinking about it, so I didnt want to hit him too hard about the tires.

Im including a pic of the wheels/tires and the second pic is a new pic showing the current state of work on my truck-----NONE!!! Covered it up two weeks ago and havent got back to cutting and polishing yet. (I been too busy wheelin and dealin lately!!!) (pun intended)
Attached Images

1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #59
54belair

OUCH! It hurts cutting into that new paint!! My grand son stopped by today and peeked into the shop as I was sanding. He yelled---"No Papa, what are you doing?" He had a hard time believing I was "making it shinier". (me too!)
This is just the initial cut using 1000 grit. Gonna take awhile. Luckily, we are going to be able to skip right to 1500 or 2000 grit on some of it (?)
Attached Images

1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 11-06-2013, 03:16 AM   #60
swamp rat

Subscribed.. it still amazes me how much stuff people know on this forum and also how quickly they accomplish builds.. in which i have little to no experience..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #61
darkhorse970

Very nice build, and that color looks great! I'm following along.

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #62
jlsanborn

Nice work!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #63
Rod Run

nice project
Old 11-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #64
KSWes

Just found your build, nice job! Your Grandson is a lucky kid. Subscribed now so I'll get to follow along now.

My Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=513002
KSWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #65
Ericsan19

Your grandson is getting something that he will cherish for a long time. I just received a similar gift from my grandfather/uncle in Oct 2013: a rebuilt 1971 Chevy K5 Blazer, family owned. It is special.

Profile Picture: that's the 1971 Blazer in the year 1972. My grandfather is the older man standing. I am the youngest boy in red at age 4. I never imagined it would be in my garage 40+ years later.
Ericsan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #66
54belair

Thanks Guys for subscribing and for the good words. As for how quickly its getting done (?), this month Ive owned it for two years and actively been working on it for 1 year and 8 months. I had hoped to have it done the past august for a local show in sept. Maybe next year!!
SWAMP RAT--
I was also amazed at the level of proficiency of the members on this forum. It does seem like in some way we are the last of the DIY "hot rodders". I belong to other chevy and Ford forums, this one is by far the most active with the highest level of mechanical knowledge and just old fashioned "git it done" inginuity. If the guys on this board dont know it-----you dont Need to know it!!!

As for my Grand son being lucky,----maybe!! He is still young and could still be ruined by life (!)--If he is,, he wont get it!!! (but, ya gotta know--Im going to do everything to see that that doesnt happen.)
Again, thanks--and stayed tuned to this channel!!!
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 11-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #67
swamp rat

Quote:
Thanks Guys for subscribing and for the good words. As for how quickly its getting done (?), this month Ive owned it for two years and actively been working on it for 1 year and 8 months. I had hoped to have it done the past august for a local show in sept. Maybe next year!!
SWAMP RAT--
I was also amazed at the level of proficiency of the members on this forum. It does seem like in some way we are the last of the DIY "hot rodders". I belong to other chevy and Ford forums, this one is by far the most active with the highest level of mechanical knowledge and just old fashioned "git it done" inginuity. If the guys on this board dont know it-----you dont Need to know it!!!

As for my Grand son being lucky,----maybe!! He is still young and could still be ruined by life (!)--If he is,, he wont get it!!! (but, ya gotta know--Im going to do everything to see that that doesnt happen.)
Again, thanks--and stayed tuned to this channel!!!
Thats ok i put you up there as well, i don't know diddly about body work and painting, i have knowledge in other areas but have spent the last 25 years NOT working as a mechanic so my skill set is lacking.. I may have to hire someone to do my body work, don't know yet, but plan to give some of it a shot next spring.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #68
davischevy

Subscribed. I just ran onto this thread and looked through it because I have grandkids too.

You know that truck should be just about ready in time to make the Crawdad Days Show here in Harrison May 17th. We're gonna give away $5,000. You might win some of that build money back.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #69
54belair

If I git er done by then---Ill see ya there!! I had planned on being in the street rod nats in spfld at the end of may--but I dont know--- Wet sanding and buffing is going kinda slow so far. I have almost half of the sanding done and only a portion of the hood buffed so far.
But, I have mounted the cab on the frame and hooked up the shift and clutch linkage.

Found out my new (used) steering column needed quite a bit of repair, so I just got a flaming river column from a board member.

My traveling schedule is what kills me on time. But, with luck, Ill see ya in Harrison. (I used to live just south of there myself)
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 11-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #70
54belair

Ive managed to get a little of the sanding and buffing done. I was gone last week so my friend and occasional helper came over and buffed the cab, one door, hood and rear fenders.
We just have the compounding done so far, next we'll have to polish. I needed the floor space (plus, I couldnt wait any longer), so I set the cab back on the frame and have been working on the clutch and shift linkage.

Just before I lift on the last trip--I sort of inhereted a new shop helper---he showed up on my door step---now I guess he'll be my new watch dog while Im gone!!!
Attached Images

1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 11-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #71
swamp rat

The truck is looking great! And you are a kind hearted person too.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #72
Low Elco

Parts are lookin' great!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #73
54belair

Well, wouldnt ya know it?! The weather is supposed to be nice today---and I cant work in the shop lol!

Today, Ill be thinking about all that Im thankful for (including the good weather)! Its so easy in our busy lives to only complain about what we dont have or cant do, so I hope everyone has a thankful thanksgiving day. And be sure and tell your loved ones how much you appreciate them.
Happy holiday, my friends,,,

By the way-----I now have the interior of the truck sanded, buffed and polished---now I just have to finish 1875 other things---lol.
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 12-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #74
54belair

Just a quick update:

Im sick of the project!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Ive been sanding, buffing, polishing as time permits---and Im still not done!!

Ive discovered two or three paint scrapes that will require repair--and Im just a little burned out on "paint" right now.
So,, Ive decided to change up my process a little--I have the cab (inside and out) and the bed buffed and polished---so Im going to go back to doing mechanical work at this time and Ill finish the paint issues later. Weather will be warmer, Ill have the interior done by then as well as a lot of mechanical work done. Ill post some pics this weekend, think I can show some of the new found "shine".

Until then: MERRY CHRISTMAS my friends, may we all have a truck friendly new year.
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 12-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #75
davischevy

Hang in there. It looks like a good weekend to work in the shop.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote