The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #151
beaterku

Re: 1972 SWB Build

A few black Friday goodies showed up today. I spent some time working on the truck this weekend. Stripped down the engine bay harness to rework it a little to work better with the LS harness and generally clean things up. I installed an AAW complete harness a few years back. I also took the seat out, removed the tank, removed the gauges and starting thinking about how I am going to run the LS harness. I believe I am going to mount the ECM, TAC, fuse panel under the seat, and Dakota modules under the seat . I want to keep the clutter under the dash to a minimum.

I also bought a filler neck and cap from Boyds to plug the hole in the side of the cab. I think it turned out perfect. I am going to weld a flat plate to the backside to seal the neck from water as well as use it as a keeper to keep the neck from being pulled out.

Waiting on the Entropy rad to come in. Hopefully by Christmas.

I am planning on hitting it hard again Wednesday night to knock out some of the piddly stuff.
Attached Images

beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #152
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Keep me posted on the LS harness. I'm trying to decide where to run mine as well. Under seat or on the radiator support.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #153
beaterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
Keep me posted on the LS harness. I'm trying to decide where to run mine as well. Under seat or on the radiator support.
I'm really leaning towards under the seat if I can make the harness work for me. This PSI harness has a decent amount of wire from the motor back, so I think I can make it. I am going to pop the hump out and lay the wires in this week to confirm. I'd like to have all of the computers under the seat and out of the way.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #154
knomadd

After doing this myself, I'll give you a little heads up. The ECM should fit fine, provided your PSI harness is long enough. However, the Dakota Digital box isn't likely to work under there. The display cable they give you is too short. I believe you are required to run a specific type of cable, but I don't remember what that is (CAT5?). I want to say it has a maximum length per DD, but I could be wrong. You'll need to look into that a bit before you get too far along, or you may end up redoing some work. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Nice parts too!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #155
beaterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
After doing this myself, I'll give you a little heads up. The ECM should fit fine, provided your PSI harness is long enough. However, the Dakota Digital box isn't likely to work under there. The display cable they give you is too short. I believe you are required to run a specific type of cable, but I don't remember what that is (CAT5?). I want to say it has a maximum length per DD, but I could be wrong. You'll need to look into that a bit before you get too far along, or you may end up redoing some work. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Nice parts too!
Good call! I check and it looks like the max lenght of cat5 is 7ft. Looks like I should be within the limit but I will double check.

Where did you end up putting your ECM?
Old 12-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #156
knomadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterku View Post
Good call! I check and it looks like the max lenght of cat5 is 7ft. Looks like I should be within the limit but I will double check.

Where did you end up putting your ECM?
Well, I wanted to put it on a plate I fabbed behind the seat on the passenger side, but my harness wasn't long enough. It sits on the floor under the passenger side of the seat. The wires come through the back side of the high hump, just before the seat.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 12-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #157
beaterku

Quote:
Well, I wanted to put it on a plate I fabbed behind the seat on the passenger side, but my harness wasn't long enough. It sits on the floor under the passenger side of the seat. The wires come through the back side of the high hump, just before the seat.
This is exactly where I was hoping to bring my wires in. I am going to pull the carpet tonight to see if I have enough room for a 2" hole in the backside of the hump for this grommet.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #158
knomadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterku View Post
This is exactly where I was hoping to bring my wires in. I am going to pull the carpet tonight to see if I have enough room for a 2" hole in the backside of the hump for this grommet.
You should have room. I'm pretty sure that's the size hole I used, but maybe 2-1/4"?

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 12-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #159
beaterku

Quote:
You should have room. I'm pretty sure that's the size hole I used, but maybe 2-1/4"?
Perfect!
Old 12-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #160
beaterku

This beaut showed up yesterday. This thing is a work of art! I can't wait to installed it. Between the Boyd tank and this, I don't know which I like better. They are both works of art.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #161
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
This beaut showed up yesterday. This thing is a work of art! I can't wait to installed it. Between the Boyd tank and this, I don't know which I like better. They are both works of art.
Dang! That is eye candy. I am hoping to pull the trigger on mine right after Christmas. I just can't decide between the R n D and Entropy. The Entropy is more expensive for sure. Did you look at the R n D? Let me know what hoses you end up running.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #162
beaterku

Quote:
Dang! That is eye candy. I am hoping to pull the trigger on mine right after Christmas. I just can't decide between the R n D and Entropy. The Entropy is more expensive for sure. Did you look at the R n D? Let me know what hoses you end up running.
To be honest, they both seem like great radiators. The lifetime warranty and amazing customer service at Pro Performance tipped the scale for me. I'm going to get some new radiator rubber mounts at lunch from the dreaded LMC so I can get it mounted this weekend.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #163
beaterku

I couldn't wait and had to slip the radiator in. Man it looks good in there. One thing of note, and I am sure I'm not the first to notice this, the top inlet of the radiator is lower than the fitting on the top of the water pump. I assume this doesn't matter. My thought are the hump in the hose is now going to be the highest point in the system. It may make purging the air a little tough. We shall see.

FYI, anyone local looking to buy odds and ends from LMC, they gave me a 30% off coupon when I was paying today. I spent a whopping $6 on new rubber isolator bushing for the lower radiator.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #164
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I'll be in KC in March for a concert. I plan on going by LMC at that time to pick up some items. Radiator looks great. My research shows you need a Gates 21439 upper hose and a Gates 20687 lower hose. Let me know on the ones you use. I'm glad you are figuring all this out ahead of me LOL

Old 12-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #165
beaterku

Quote:
I'll be in KC in March for a concert. I plan on going by LMC at that time to pick up some items. Radiator looks great. My research shows you need a Gates 21439 upper hose and a Gates 20687 lower hose. Let me know on the ones you use. I'm glad you are figuring all this out ahead of me LOL
Let me know when you are in town. I am about 10 mins from LMC. Truck should be up and running by then.

I haven't looked in to the hoses yet. I'll check those out. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #166
beaterku

Started working on the wiring harness layout. It looks like the PSI harness is the perfect length to mount the ECU under the seat. My plan is to mount the ECM and fuse/relay panel on the passenger side. The Dakota BIM and gauge modules on the drivers side. I'd like to mount the TAC module under the seat as well. but I would have to lengthen the the harness between the TAC and pedal about a foot. The harness from the ECM is long enough to reach under the dash, so I could mount it under there. I'll just see what is the best route to take.

Fun fact, when you select NO to "OIL PRESSURE WIRING (98-02 F-BODY GAUGES ONLY)" when ordering a PSI harness, they remove the oil pressure wiring completely from the harness. Luckily, the Dakota gauges come with a sender and harness to display oil pressure. Had I known this, I would have said yes to make the wiring a little easier.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #167
ls1nova71

Nice looking truck, hope to see it around next summer. As for the oil pressure wiring, almost no aftermarket wiring harness companies include that wire since its not needed for the engine to run, and it would only be a single tan wire that wouldn't have the correct end for your aftermarket gauges anyway. Also, don't be afraid to lengthen the TAC to pedal wires, it wont be an issue as long as your connections are good.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #168
beaterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Nice looking truck, hope to see it around next summer. As for the oil pressure wiring, almost no aftermarket wiring harness companies include that wire since its not needed for the engine to run, and it would only be a single tan wire that wouldn't have the correct end for your aftermarket gauges anyway. Also, don't be afraid to lengthen the TAC to pedal wires, it wont be an issue as long as your connections are good.
Good to know. I was able to get the wiring harness through the hump yesterday. The harness length is about perfect.

I’m still not sure about the TAC module. It will fit under the dash no problem. I can make a plate to mount it and the Dakota modules behind the gauges. I’m still not sure what to do. Going to work on it some more today to figure it out.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #169
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

How is the harness coming along? Ordered mine this morning...any lessons learned?

Old 12-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #170
beaterku

It's been slow going. Getting ready for #3 to arrive, so I haven't been able to spend a whole lot of time on it. So far, everything with the PSI harness has been great. My only gripes are nit picky type things. The corrugated loom is a pain in the rump to manipulate sometimes. Not enough to justify spending the extra $125 they want for the braided loom, but enough to make me cuss a little.

I spent a few hours this weekend and tapped in to power and signal wires for everything on the ECM and Dakota module. I also lengthened my TAC harness 2 feet to allow placement under the seat. I'm going work on it this afternoon and try to wrap up the wiring so I can move on to the fuel system and buttoning up loose ends.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #171
jaros44sr

Wire care makes a split wrap F6, using it on my harness to get rid of the corragated wrap from FAST

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dcvTEa]20181127_104252

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #172
beaterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Wire care makes a split wrap F6, using it on my harness to get rid of the corragated wrap from FAST

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dcvTEa]20181127_104252
Thanks, I'll check it out!
Old 12-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #173
knomadd

I've been using a product made by Techflex called "Flexo F6" for years. It's very similar to what Jim uses, and I get it off Amazon. Pretty cheap compared to the name brand stuff and works really well. They also have other model products that come in different colors, or true sleeves if you don't want a split loom. Can't hurt to have a few options to choose from if you want the braided wrap stuff.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 12-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #174
beaterku

Quote:
I've been using a product made by Techflex called "Flexo F6" for years. It's very similar to what Jim uses, and I get it off Amazon. Pretty cheap compared to the name brand stuff and works really well. They also have other model products that come in different colors, or true sleeves if you don't want a split loom. Can't hurt to have a few options to choose from if you want the braided wrap stuff.
Thank you!
Old 12-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #175
beaterku

I hope everyone had a good Christmas. I took a little much needed time away from the truck. Also came down with a sinus infection. Yah me.

So I've been spending a little time working on the mechanical side of things. The wiring was starting to become all consuming so I deiced to take a break from it. Although I did create a schematic of what is left to be done. A buddy of mine owns a shop that specializes in wiring, so I sent it over to him for a quote. He's booked into March, so I will see how that works out.

The PSI harness is installed on the engine. I ended up with a set of Taylor plug wires to clear the headers. Fuel line adapters are installed. I ordered a set of Gates rad hoses that everyone is using. Top hose is a perfect fit. The bottom hose will work with some trimming.

So at this point, I am going to start checking all of the small things off the list and leave the wiring for last.
Attached Images