The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
Cameo Carrier

How long have you had your truck?

Has it been in the family forever? What memories do you have with it? What cool old pictures do you have with your Grandpa driving it?

In the time I've had mine I have too many to count. I will share the one that came to mind first.

I was going to night school auto shop when I was in high school and there was a stop sign everyone used to blow past. Well, this night there was a cop there. I ran it before I saw him and thought to myself "****!". He pulled around and got me right infront of the shop. He asked..."Do you know why I pulled you over?". I said I ran that stop back there. He said "Yes" of course. He asked me why and I told him that my caburator was sticking and I was going to class to fix it. He asked me "What do you have in that for a motor?". I said "350 sir". He said "Slow down, put a Holley 650 on it, and GET THE F@#$ OUTTA HERE!"
Old 06-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Cameo Carrier

Question Re: How long have you had your truck?

Has this topic come up lately or something? I know this board moves slow but I thought I'd get some response being that I'm asking about your guys' memories and trucks. I thought everyone liked talking about there trucks.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Jebb1978

Re: How long have you had your truck?

I missed this one the first time. It is a cool topic.

My truck was a parts donor for a family friends truck. My dad bought it for $200 in pieces sitting in a dry wash for many years. It was a whole day trip to get it near the Mexican boarder. My dad called me in sick to school that day and I went along for the journey. I was in third grade.

That is what I think of most when I think about the truck although, like you I have many memories that are attached to it. I backed into a occupied vehicle in my highschool parking lot when I only had a learners permit and once had the keys taken away after telling my dad how I just beat a Boss Mustang with it. Ahh man, good times. I love that old truck! I would post 20 + year old photos if I had a scanner.

Last edited by Jebb1978; 06-24-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Jebb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Kim57

i wish I could give a really cool story about mine but I don't have one.
I've had it since 1992 and its never run (no engine or trans). Hope some day to get it finished but something seems to always come up. But I'll just keep plugging away until I get there.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
bfink

ive had my truck since i was 16 (1990) I bought it as a running driving farm truck that someone had attemped to hot rod with a 283/4 speed combo. paid $1200 dollars of my hard earned cash for it even though my dad said it was worth 800 . after about a year of slowly working on it while driving it as my only transportation i traded it to my dad for pretty clean 66 chevy step side that needed a lot less work . with me helping dad proceded to sub frame it w/79 camaro clip , put in a S-10 rear end and finish it off with red paint and grey interior. it was his daily driver for 10 years but the best part was i got to drive it (beat on it?)just about every weekend . eventually dad got a new job with a longer commute so the truck got put in the garage and driven only once in a while . fast forward to 4 years ago i finally talk him into selling it back to my with the condition i never sell it . so it sat it my 2 car garage with my finished 66 chevelle malibu until last summer when i decided to sell the malibu so i'd have the room and the money to finish my 1st love.....the 55 i havent made as much progress as id like (me not having much motivation and a 3 year old had hampered the progress)
bfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

I bought my first 51 back in 1967 and drove it for several years. When my son and I decided to restore a truck my first choice was another 51. We bought the 3604 in May of 2006. Hopefully we can finish our journey soon.

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
ChargerBill

My '56 has been around a while...and has been driven on and off by my grandfather, my father and myself. My grandfather bought it back in the late 70's - early 80's and gave it to me in '87. I drove it constantly until around '95 when I ended up needing something more relaible to put my little girl in, so my father started using it then. He drove it until around '98 as a parts runner until he built himself a pro street '57 panel delivery. It's now back in my hands and I'm in the process of turning it into a traditional '50's style rod. It's in the family for good...I'll never get rid of it.
1969 Dodge Charger
1968 Dodge Charger
ChargerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
70LonghornCST

My first truck I got in 2002 and then I restored it. I had it for 3 years and then it was stolen. After a short while, I found my Longhorn, which needed a full restoration. I put the project off for quite a while until I could finish getting my teaching credentials. Now I am making progress and I love my truck. It's a 1970 Chevy Longhorn, out of which I am making a full optioned CST packaged truck.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build