The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
bikerbomber

Growl from front wheel while braking...

Hey guys, I am having an issue with my 88 2wd 4.3 5spd c1500.

I have noticed that there is a buzzing or growling kind of noise when braking at speed and turning left or right. It seems to be coming from the front passenger side wheel. Also has gotten worse over the last week, and doesn't happen until the truck has been driven a bit (maybe half a mile?)

I did a visual inspection and can find no signs of the wheel rubbing anywhere in the wheelwell. Took off the wheel and rocked the hub but didn't notice any play either horizontally or vertically. Spun the disk and it spun freely but had some light disc contact. Pads are at 85%.

It also makes noise and I can feel a light vibration with the noise in the gas pedal when the suspension is being compressed at the front end.

So to recap:

Growling noise from front end.

Happens: While braking, After a bit of driving, when hitting dips in road, when turning left/right. And seems worse when lightly applying brakes at speed over 35mph.

Checked: No tire contact(that I could find), wheel spins freely, no noise from spinning wheel other than light disc rub. No noticeable play when hub is wiggled left/right or up/down.

You guys have any ideas on this one?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
LynnJr

Re: Growl from front wheel while braking...

if its not debris riding on the pads it sounds like a wheel bearing going bad.
LynnJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
bikerbomber

Re: Growl from front wheel while braking...

Yup, yup. Was the bearings. After changing them out the noise and vibrations disappeared. Ironically it was the driver side bearings that were the worst. When I installed the old ones I tightened them up with a large wrench not knowing any better at that time, then hand tightened the passenger side after reading the repair manual finally....

Goes to show sometimes the sounds we hear in the cabin are not where we think they are. Thanks!