The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2016, 09:53 PM   #1
Chrispbrown36

Favorite all terrain tire.

I hadn't really been looking for tires for the truck (87 V10, auto) but Friday I was getting some tires put on the wife's car and got to looking around. They had a set of 31 10.5x15 BF Goodrich Rugged Terrains sitting there and at a decent price. I also looked over the All Terrain KO2's and really like them, but the price is a lot better on the Rugged's. I just question whether they will handle much mud and the reviews in the snow aren't great either. I don't do any major off roading....bout the most mud she sees is when I pull her by the garden (REALLY steep hill so I need the traction) or if I drive to the back area behind the pond to get a deer during deer season. Currently I have Dunlop Mud Rovers (previous owner purchased) and I love the look and the traction, but they are wearing terribly fast and I am tired of the howl going down the road.
I have always heard good things about the BFG all terrains and the KO2's seem to be even better. The rugged terrains seem to be 99% on-road and barely capable of off-road, so I think I am going to pass on them. Anything I am missing? Brands I should look at for a daily driver that needs to be able to get traction in snow and mud from time to time?
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Favorite all terrain tire.

Those Rugged Trail won't do a thing for you in mud. Those are more like All Seasons, at the mild side of All Terrain. All Terrains are really "all terrain but mud". That's why there are Mud Terrains. But the K/Os will be your better bet. I run Coopers. The changed from what mine are. Mine are Discoverer S/Ts. They are a Mud & Snow, but really great on the road.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:47 AM   #3
rjsdad

I've had great experiences with my Goodyear Duratracs. Have had them on for almost 4 years now. Great traction in snow and even though they didn't clean out all that well in the mud, they did just fine. Never got stuck. An amazing tire. I just wish Goodyear made a 37".
rjsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
Chrispbrown36

I am leaning toward Cooper's right now. I love the fact that they are American made and they have great reviews. I want the s/t maxx, but my local tire place seems to be having trouble getting a hold of them.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:06 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Those are reasons I've been running Coopers...and they tend to run cheaper than Yamahoochies and Kumyahos. Those are the tires that took the place of the S/Ts. I try to buy local, but I did end up getting mine front Discount Tire Direct, free shipping. But I have a friend with a tire machine.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-23-2016, 12:45 AM   #6
bilfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsdad View Post
I've had great experiences with my Goodyear Duratracs. Have had them on for almost 4 years now. Great traction in snow and even though they didn't clean out all that well in the mud, they did just fine. Never got stuck. An amazing tire. I just wish Goodyear made a 37".
Ditto Duratrac's Rock , great tire and look real good too.

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:59 AM   #7
andrewmp6

Yeah duratracs are a cross between a at and mt tire and not too bad on the road and even snow rated if i remember right.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
MalibuSSwagon

How about off brand tires for the guy that can't afford new popular brand tires? I spoke to the owner of a local high volume tire shop, and he mentioned the Transforce AT as his favorite tire, but at $185 installed per tire that's a tough pill to shallow. I understand many of the off brand tires are made in the USA by the big name guys, I'm avoiding anything made in China since those are just nothing but crap in my experience. I was looking at Summit Trailclimber A/W but those seem to not be very popular in the US, mostly available in Austraila and not lot of info available. Was only looking into them as the truck I bought has a pair on the rear that are fairly new, and the local tire chain that carries them will install another pair for $270 out the door. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the lack of reviews available on them. Thinking of ditching them and going with a new matched set of 10 ply E load All Terrains.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
Chrispbrown36

I like the Duratracs, but the reviews are fairly mixed on them and the price is too high. The Cooper st maxx get a mix of reviews too but overall they are more positive than negative. I am always a little skeptical of both glowing reviews and horrible criticisms. The at3's get good reviews too, but I just can't look at the tread and believe that they do that well in anything beyond slightly soft ground. They are pretty low priced, but that is the only thing that might get them put on my truck. As I said, I don't do any real off-roading. Some muddy county roads that are mildly rutted up during duck season, hauling soil to the garden on a fairly steep hill in a muddy spring yard, and of course dealing with the snow that never seems to get plowed on our road. I want something aggressive enough to get me out of anything I might see, but doesn't howl at me going down the road. I think the st maxx is probably my best choice for aggressiveness and price.
MalibuSSwagon, check into the st maxx's. 31 10.5 15's run $155 on treaddepot.com, so not much more than the $270 for two you quoted, of course that isn't mounted but you migh be able to find someone locally that will price match and mount them. And a big plus....they are American made.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:16 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

The Coopers are pretty much priced with the no name brands while the Asian no names tend to cost more. This is what I look for, a great value in a USA produced product. We can still do it and I support those who do.

Tim

Old 03-31-2016, 11:56 AM   #11
MalibuSSwagon

I did alot of research on different tires, but on forums people keep recommending the Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10. So I looked into them. Found for $120 each shipped, many positive reviews, great all weather and off road traction, awesome tread life (50k-60k if taken care of) so I think I'm going to pull the trigger soon.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:04 AM   #12
Chrispbrown36

Since I have started thinking about tires I find myself walking through parking lots looking people's tires out....I probably look a bit suspicious. Just like yesterday, I pulled into the local Tractor Supply and the Toyota sitting next to me had a set of Hankook Dynapro's on it. They weren't a bad looking tire and $120 shipped is a pretty good price.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

You probably look like a dog searching for the best one to pee on . I'll see tires and often take a closer look (and I have to look hard/eyes not so good) to check tire size for my reference. I'm always prepared to hear a voice walking up, "Can I help you with something?", and have an explanation ready. "Oh, sorry. I lost my dog, just taking DNA samples"

Tim

Old 04-24-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
Chrispbrown36

Finally decided on the Cooper S/T Maxx. They arrived on Thursday and had them mounted Friday. They are pretty quiet, but I am not sure whether they are really that quiet or the old worn out Dunlop Mud Rovers were that loud. I am very happy with the tread....they look more aggressive in person than they do in pictures. Local prices 198 a piece. On treaddeopt.com 155 a piece. They had a deal for 100 off a set of four so that eliminated the shipping charges. With balancing and mounting at the local shop total price was 690.
Name:  tires.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  tires2.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  46.1 KB
Old 04-24-2016, 02:07 PM   #15
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Great-looking tires, congrats! I hope they are all you want them to be. I think all tires are quietest when new, so they'll probably get noisier as they wear down. Gonna be interesting to hear how they perform in mud.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #16
Chrispbrown36

I agree that when new they are as quiet as they get, but when I bought the truck the mud rovers were brand new and they had a slight howl then.....but so far I haven't noticed so much as a whine. Since I had them mounted I have been looking for a little mud to drive through but haven't found any yet....supposed to rain this weekend so fingers crossed.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:51 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Mine are S/Ts, but they are around 1/2 worn out (2 1/2 years old) and still run quiet. It's mostly the M/T tires that get noisy on their way down... open lugs

Tim

Old 04-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #18
Chrispbrown36

I thought real hard about the s/t's...the price was certainly lower....but I liked the tread on the maxx better. I don't drive the truck a whole lot. Mainly it is for hauling the boat or going hunting or just taking it out when I need an ego boost from people complimenting it ha ha. So I am hoping they last quite a while and so does the quietness. I got sooo very tired of the howl of those mud rovers. I was joking that after I got the new tires I was going to put a quieter muffler on it but I was afraid I would suddenly start hearing all the rattles, knocks, and noises that I hadn't heard with the noise from the tires and muffler!