The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #26
Nightrider
Registered User
 
Nightrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Anywhere, Texas
Posts: 232
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Like jrpontiac indicated, a flip-kit can be done on the cheap by adding (welding) new leaf mounting pads under the axle tube vs. on top & using fresh/new U-bolts/nuts (don't re-use U-bolt hardware; you can re-use the original plates). But, you'll get more than 6" of drop (closer to 8" depending on how thick the spring pack is). You would need to source the pads & U-bolts for the correct OD of your axle tubes.

The shackles/hangers will get you 4" drop. You could remove some leafs to play around w/additional drop.

There is also another possibility that doesn't require welding but would require some modification (cutting, trimming, drilling, & measuring because you won't have specific instructions). You could use a 98-00 3/4 ton 8-lug flip/c-notch kit. They're similar in design. The axle tube OD should be the same (14bolt GM housings). The main difference is in the frame-rail profile but the 98-00 c-notch could be trimmed to fit where necessary.
yeah I was planning on doing the axle flip but i dont want my truck that low... so ill just do the shackles/hangers drop... do youll think this will work?http://https://www.carid.com/belltech/4-rear-shackle-and-hanger-lowering-kit-mpn-6907.html[/IMG]
__________________
] : - 71' burb,5.3,4wd
02' f350.7.3
00' F250-powerstroke
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #27
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 17,560
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
yeah I was planning on doing the axle flip but i dont want my truck that low... so ill just do the shackles/hangers drop... do youll think this will work?http://https://www.carid.com/belltech/4-rear-shackle-and-hanger-lowering-kit-mpn-6907.html[/IMG]
Tinydb84 provided a direct replacement shackle/hanger combo (https://www.summitracing.com/tx/part...4/applications).

Anything beyond the square body style could be different (the link you provided is for the body style AFTER the squares).
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:39 PM   #28
tinydb84
Registered User
 
tinydb84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 2,589
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Here is my C20 with a 6'' drop in the rear. The front was stock height at the time.
__________________
David
Used parts build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=638991
My brother's Nova: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=727985
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #29
Nightrider
Registered User
 
Nightrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Anywhere, Texas
Posts: 232
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Tinydb84 provided a direct replacement shackle/hanger combo (https://www.summitracing.com/tx/part...4/applications).

Anything beyond the square body style could be different (the link you provided is for the body style AFTER the squares).
AWESOME thanks alot! so now we have the back end done... im thinking about a 2 or 3 inch spindle drop with a 1 or 2 inch spring drop so it will be 4 either way does that sound good? those are the spindles
http://www.x2industries.com/chevrole...l#.Wvy0fkxFxN7
__________________
] : - 71' burb,5.3,4wd
02' f350.7.3
00' F250-powerstroke
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #30
Nightrider
Registered User
 
Nightrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Anywhere, Texas
Posts: 232
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
Here is my C20 with a 6'' drop in the rear. The front was stock height at the time.
that looks gooooddddddd
__________________
] : - 71' burb,5.3,4wd
02' f350.7.3
00' F250-powerstroke
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:55 PM   #31
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 17,560
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
AWESOME thanks alot! so now we have the back end done... im thinking about a 2 or 3 inch spindle drop with a 1 or 2 inch spring drop so it will be 4 either way does that sound good? those are the spindles
http://www.x2industries.com/chevrole...l#.Wvy0fkxFxN7
The rear typically requires more drop vs the front to be level. That's why you see 2/4 drops or 3/5; 4/6; 5/7 etc..... Whatever drop the rear of the truck ends up at you simply need to match the front to it. If not, there will be some rake.

I advise you to take measurements now & before taking the truck apart (now for ordering parts; before you start just to make sure nothing has changed). Take them WHERE you disassemble things so you have a solid control point in case you need to reference back to 'what you started with'. I write it all down in a little pocket notebook so I have it for reference. (and put it on masking tape @ each wheel opening for quick confirmation).
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #32
tinydb84
Registered User
 
tinydb84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 2,589
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Scoti always has good advice. I'd follow any recommendations he has. 4/6 is a nice drop. The C20's usually have pretty tall tires so you wont look as low and you have to pay attention to your inner fender clearance.
__________________
David
Used parts build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=638991
My brother's Nova: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=727985
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #33
manimal
Registered User
 
manimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern Kalifornia
Posts: 3,039
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

I'd be careful of some drop spindles. research the company/brand you use. I have seen PERSONALLY a few spindle stubs break off due to poor quality.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
-Lance
2017 Silverado crewcab shortbed..
2015 Chevy Camaro
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #34
Nightrider
Registered User
 
Nightrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Anywhere, Texas
Posts: 232
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The rear typically requires more drop vs the front to be level. That's why you see 2/4 drops or 3/5; 4/6; 5/7 etc..... Whatever drop the rear of the truck ends up at you simply need to match the front to it. If not, there will be some rake.

I advise you to take measurements now & before taking the truck apart (now for ordering parts; before you start just to make sure nothing has changed). Take them WHERE you disassemble things so you have a solid control point in case you need to reference back to 'what you started with'. I write it all down in a little pocket notebook so I have it for reference. (and put it on masking tape @ each wheel opening for quick confirmation).
awesome. I think im going to drop the front first... then i can play the back by ear and adjust what height it needs to be..... Just trying to find the best spindles right now... should i do a 2inch or 3inch spindle?? i would love to get a 4/6 drop.. i love on the outside/country.. the roads suck so i would like to get the best spring to spindle ratio..
__________________
] : - 71' burb,5.3,4wd
02' f350.7.3
00' F250-powerstroke
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #35
Nightrider
Registered User
 
Nightrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Anywhere, Texas
Posts: 232
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
Scoti always has good advice. I'd follow any recommendations he has. 4/6 is a nice drop. The C20's usually have pretty tall tires so you wont look as low and you have to pay attention to your inner fender clearance.
ill make sure my tires wont rub
__________________
] : - 71' burb,5.3,4wd
02' f350.7.3
00' F250-powerstroke
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #36
Nightrider
Registered User
 
Nightrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Anywhere, Texas
Posts: 232
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

here are two pics of my truck..
__________________
] : - 71' burb,5.3,4wd
02' f350.7.3
00' F250-powerstroke
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #37
manimal
Registered User
 
manimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern Kalifornia
Posts: 3,039
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

http://www.performanceonline.com/

they sell WesternChassis spindles for a c20.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
-Lance
2017 Silverado crewcab shortbed..
2015 Chevy Camaro
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #38
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 17,560
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
http://www.performanceonline.com/

they sell WesternChassis spindles for a c20.
IF they have them in stock. If they don't, they substitute a different brand but don't mention it. Piss poor business move IMO
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:12 AM   #39
manimal
Registered User
 
manimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern Kalifornia
Posts: 3,039
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
IF they have them in stock. If they don't, they substitute a different brand but don't mention it. Piss poor business move IMO
did not know that. Thanks. That is a crappy way to do business. Ive never personally used DJM because of all the horror stories over their Ford products.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
-Lance
2017 Silverado crewcab shortbed..
2015 Chevy Camaro
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #40
Nightrider
Registered User
 
Nightrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Anywhere, Texas
Posts: 232
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
IF they have them in stock. If they don't, they substitute a different brand but don't mention it. Piss poor business move IMO
thats ****ty of them i found these...

https://www.performanceonline.com/71...e-2-half-inch/
__________________
] : - 71' burb,5.3,4wd
02' f350.7.3
00' F250-powerstroke
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #41
Nightrider
Registered User
 
Nightrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Anywhere, Texas
Posts: 232
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
did not know that. Thanks. That is a crappy way to do business. Ive never personally used DJM because of all the horror stories over their Ford products.
yeah crazy.... so what spring to spindle ratio is best??
__________________
] : - 71' burb,5.3,4wd
02' f350.7.3
00' F250-powerstroke
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #42
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 17,560
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
thats ****ty of them i found these...

https://www.performanceonline.com/71...e-2-half-inch/
Quote:
yeah crazy.... so what spring to spindle ratio is best??
It just takes a call to verify they aren't substituting. They may not be for the squarebody suspension. In January, they were for the OBS/88-00 C20/30 spindles as the foundry where they get them was having issues & ceased production (their explanation).

The best spindle/spring ratio is subjective to each individual need. Using the combo of the two is usually the best approach. The deciding factors would be amount of drop & wheel choice (diameter, back-spacing/offset).

For a 4/6 on your described truck, I'd opt for a 2-2.5" spindle + trimming 1-coil from the factory springs if the truck rides decent @ the current height. Then, some combination to achieve the 6" drop on the rear. I usually opt for flip kits on C10's because IMO they're easier to install. Since flip kits on 3/4 or 1-ton trucks yield more than 6" of drop, you have to factor in what it will take to achieve/adjust to get the amount you want. Compare that to the alternatives (shackle/hanger; removing leafs; etc).
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #43
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 17,560
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
It just takes a call to verify they aren't substituting.
If they are substituting, it's not the end of the world either provided you're told. I would verify who the actual manufacturer is.

If it's Chassis Tech, research their pricing elsewhere (and their customer reviews). I canceled my order because I could get the Chassis Tech product elsewhere for cheaper yet POL (Western Chassis' daddy) maintained the same pricing as their WC brand.

Seemed to me like a 'Bait & Switch' tactic that I didn't care for so it cost them that sale (& possibly my business in the future).
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #44
Nightrider
Registered User
 
Nightrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Anywhere, Texas
Posts: 232
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
If they are substituting, it's not the end of the world either provided you're told. I would verify who the actual manufacturer is.

If it's Chassis Tech, research their pricing elsewhere (and their customer reviews). I canceled my order because I could get the Chassis Tech product elsewhere for cheaper yet POL (Western Chassis' daddy) maintained the same pricing as their WC brand.

Seemed to me like a 'Bait & Switch' tactic that I didn't care for so it cost them that sale (& possibly my business in the future).
ok i will look into that.. dang

http://www.airbagit.com/spindles-ste...pi-gm7191d.htm
__________________
] : - 71' burb,5.3,4wd
02' f350.7.3
00' F250-powerstroke
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #45
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 17,560
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
AirBagIt.com= name change from the original AIM & yet another change (Chassis Tech). Google them all to make an informed decision.
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:56 PM   #46
Nightrider
Registered User
 
Nightrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Anywhere, Texas
Posts: 232
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
AirBagIt.com= name change from the original AIM & yet another change (Chassis Tech). Google them all to make an informed decision.
ok this is what ive come up with... i looked up Chassis Tech spindles and could not find any for my truck on THEIR website.... sooo i looked up the Western Chassis spindles on summit, found the ones that fit my truck and they were $462... thats to much so I kept looking and found the same ones on another website for way cheaper.. only $300

https://www.streetpros.com/product_i..._Spindles.html
__________________
] : - 71' burb,5.3,4wd
02' f350.7.3
00' F250-powerstroke
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:00 AM   #47
manimal
Registered User
 
manimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern Kalifornia
Posts: 3,039
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoti View Post
airbagit.com= name change from the original aim & yet another change (chassis tech). Google them all to make an informed decision.
agreed
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
-Lance
2017 Silverado crewcab shortbed..
2015 Chevy Camaro
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #48
Nightrider
Registered User
 
Nightrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Anywhere, Texas
Posts: 232
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
agreed
Im going to order https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d.../applications/ this weekend... Im not sure how to install the hangers because they look nothing like my stock ones... Someone explain to me how they fit? Once I figure that out Im order them...
__________________
] : - 71' burb,5.3,4wd
02' f350.7.3
00' F250-powerstroke
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #49
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 17,560
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
Im going to order https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d.../applications/ this weekend... Im not sure how to install the hangers because they look nothing like my stock ones... Someone explain to me how they fit? Once I figure that out Im order them...
In a nutshell.....

Secure vehicle on jack stands & verify you're safe to get under the truck (push test).
Remove the wheel, disconnect the shock & leaf spring by removing their hardware. (Do one side @ a time. Use a jack to raise/lower & hold-up the rear-end housing as needed).
Knock the rivets of the factory hangers off/out.
Align the new hangers w/the holes in the frame rails & install w/the new hardware.
Re-install the leaf pack & shock. Loosely snug the hardware for the leaf/shackle bushings but don't tighten them to spec.
Re-install wheel.

Repeat for the opposite side.

Once both sides are completed, set the truck back on the ground so the full weight is on the suspension. Tighten the leaf/shackle bushings hardware to spec.
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #50
Nightrider
Registered User
 
Nightrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Anywhere, Texas
Posts: 232
Re: 84' 3/4 lowered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
In a nutshell.....

Secure vehicle on jack stands & verify you're safe to get under the truck (push test).
Remove the wheel, disconnect the shock & leaf spring by removing their hardware. (Do one side @ a time. Use a jack to raise/lower & hold-up the rear-end housing as needed).
Knock the rivets of the factory hangers off/out.
Align the new hangers w/the holes in the frame rails & install w/the new hardware.
Re-install the leaf pack & shock. Loosely snug the hardware for the leaf/shackle bushings but don't tighten them to spec.
Re-install wheel.

Repeat for the opposite side.

Once both sides are completed, set the truck back on the ground so the full weight is on the suspension. Tighten the leaf/shackle bushings hardware to spec.
HAHAH Thank you!
__________________
] : - 71' burb,5.3,4wd
02' f350.7.3
00' F250-powerstroke
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com