The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
noco-k5

Swing Away Tire Carrier

Does anybody have any close up pictures of the area on a Blazer swing away tire carrier where you put the spare on. I took mine apart to get it powder coated and unfortunately need my memory refreshed. Getting old and not being mechanically inclined sucks at times.
noco-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Ole Beater

Re: Swing Away Tire Carrier

Wish i could help. Mine used to have a tire carrier but has bondo in the holes now.
Ole Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
webfishr

Quote:
Originally Posted by noco-k5 View Post
Does anybody have any close up pictures of the area on a Blazer swing away tire carrier where you put the spare on. I took mine apart to get it powder coated and unfortunately need my memory refreshed. Getting old and not being mechanically inclined sucks at times.
I found these helpful when I took mine off. Hopefully they will help.
Attached Images

webfishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Here are some pics of my carrier.

Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
noco-k5

Thanks for the help guys. Thats exactly what I needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
noco-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
abusack

Thanks for posting this fellas. I removed mine thinking it was a fabbed together piece of junk. I now realize I have what used to come on these trucks. Now to come up with a safety chain or mechanism so the carrier won't unhook randomly.
abusack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:31 AM   #7
old man jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by abusack View Post
Thanks for posting this fellas. I removed mine thinking it was a fabbed together piece of junk. I now realize I have what used to come on these trucks. Now to come up with a safety chain or mechanism so the carrier won't unhook randomly.
they really didn't come on these trucks...but a lot of guys put them on...and if you have all the parts you don't need a safety chain.. if you look at the bracket that bolts to the tailgate itself, you'll see a notch cut into it.. on the swinging part their's a hole in the swinging part that the bracket on the tailgate goes through when you shut it.. and their's a flat steel latch with a spring that pulls the flat latch into the notch.. and as long as the spring is their holding the latch in the notch..they can't come open..you have to reach behind the spare and lift the latch up while you pull the tire to open it.. that is if you have the same kind that is pictured. they made several different kinds..some with jerry can holders. etc.
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #8
tristan

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfishr View Post
Do you have a scan of your instruction pages by any chance? I have a spare tire carrier on the way and could really use a clear copy of the step by step installation instructions. It might be a good forum sticky resource also.
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #9
awelle01

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfishr View Post

Hi I can't quite make out the dimension of the distance of the top bedside bracket to the top of the bedside. Does it say 4"? Anyone have a set of instructions they could scan and email?

I just bought a carrier on the board and will be installing. It would be helpful to get this info so i don't make a mistake! thx
awelle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #10
PDXk5

Quote:
Originally Posted by awelle01 View Post
Hi I can't quite make out the dimension of the distance of the top bedside bracket to the top of the bedside. Does it say 4"? Anyone have a set of instructions they could scan and email?

I just bought a carrier on the board and will be installing. It would be helpful to get this info so i don't make a mistake! thx
I would love to get a scan too, if someone can forward via email, that would be great!
PDXk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:21 AM   #11
notoriousnsb

Would be great to get a scan as well. Looks like PDFs can be uploaded here so would be a good format to scan to then attach to the forum thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
notoriousnsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #12
glove

Hello gentlemen, I am an older guy who purchased a 1972 blazer just before I turned 21. It was a black blazer with Highlander plaid orange an black seats. I put a witch rag top on it, trush mag side pipes chrome double tube brush guard and roll bar. And I had put a swing tire carrier with a Jerry can holder on it. I am in the process of restoring a 1972 blazer I found in California. The exterior is done and I found new thrush pipes just like the ones I had. The only item I can,t find is a swing tire carrier with a Jerry can holder. I just got familiar with this site and saw that in the last couple of months 3 showed up on the postings. So I plan on checking here on a daily basis. Anyone knowing someone that might want to give it up please let me know. If I can figure out how to upload pics I will do that.. thanks in advance
glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #13
Stokester

Cleaning out my shop. I ran across the tire carrier that came off my 72. Not sure what a Jerry can is but I’ll attach a pic of my tire carrier. I have a bunch more stuff also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
Stokester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokester View Post
Cleaning out my shop. I ran across the tire carrier that came off my 72. Not sure what a Jerry can is but I’ll attach a pic of my tire carrier. I have a bunch more stuff also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Stokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #15
mrtoni

Stokester, I’d like to buy that. What other stuff do you have? Any saddle tanks for behind rear seat?
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #16
glove

Stokester. This is glove. I don't have a tire carrier yet. Would like to buy yours. Give me a price and contact info on private message
glove is offline   Reply With Quote