The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
dracko

Wider OEM rims?

Anybody know where I can get some OEM 6 lug wheels in 15x7 or 15x8, that have clips for the smaller hubcap (7")?

I'd like something like this, only wider:

Looks like Wheel Vintique only has the smoothie and rallye that work with the 7" caps.

Thanks for any leads on where to look.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Surfdaddy

Re: Wider OEM rims?

You can send your wheels to Stockton wheel or one of the other "wheel shops" that have ads in Drive magazine or others like it. They might be able to put wider rims on. They will ask about the diameter of the center it should be around 14.00 to 14.5", but you will have to meassure tehm to make sure. Be prepared.... $85 to $165 a wheel and maybe up to 8 weeks turnaround plus shipping both ways. Kind of pricey, but if that's the look your after then it's worth it.
1966 Caprice 2dr
1970 VW Squareback
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
dracko

Thanks for the info Surfdaddy. I can only imagine what it would cost to ship 4 rims there and back from Canada, so I might as well call around locally and see if a shop around here can widen them. Really thought I'd be able to buy some repro wheels in this style.

Are those the factory 15" rims you're running on your truck? They turned out real nice.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post
You can send your wheels to Stockton wheel or one of the other "wheel shops" that have ads in Drive magazine or others like it. They might be able to put wider rims on. They will ask about the diameter of the center it should be around 14.00 to 14.5", but you will have to meassure tehm to make sure. Be prepared.... $85 to $165 a wheel and maybe up to 8 weeks turnaround plus shipping both ways. Kind of pricey, but if that's the look your after then it's worth it.
Don't use Stockton unless it is absolutely the only alternative. Too many dissatisfied customers because of BS excuses or lack of customer service.

They're quick to take your money, but slow to get you the final product. I was quoted a 4-6wk turn around on 'custom built' wheels. I called @ the end of the 6th week & they had not even started the wheels. Order was placed in 1st week of Jan, the wheels were received in late March.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
dracko

Okay thanks Scoti! I will steer clear of Stockton.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
jocko

here's a link that one of the other members gave me - he was very satisfied with his wheels form this guy in Colorado (and shipping might be a "little" cheaper from CO than SoCal to SK. I'm gonna be in the market for some very stock looking steelies that will clear a disk brake upgrade, and this is who I plan to go to. Haven't heard a whole lot about him, but what I have heard has been all good. Good luck.
http://www.trudesignwheel.net/contact_info.html
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
here's a link that one of the other members gave me - he was very satisfied with his wheels form this guy in Colorado (and shipping might be a "little" cheaper from CO than SoCal to SK. I'm gonna be in the market for some very stock looking steelies that will clear a disk brake upgrade, and this is who I plan to go to. Haven't heard a whole lot about him, but what I have heard has been all good. Good luck.
15x8" truck ralleys are easy to find. 15x7" solid stock GM truck wheels are usually easy to find as well. Maybe check w/truedesignwheel & see how much to cut the centers out & swap the steelie centers to the 8" ralley rims.

Oops.... forgot we were discussing 6-lug stuff. Finding the disc brake capable steelies is the chore. Maybe he also has 6-lug centers?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-28-2011 at 11:03 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

You also might try Rallyamerica. They can make custom wheels with old centers, and I've read only positive reviews from people that have bought from them.

http://www.rallyamerica.com/hotrod_trucks/index.html
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
kieth

I am experimenting with buying the old style clips and adding them to a rallye wheel, the clips are 1.75 each (this is how Delmo added old hubcaps to a smooth aluminum wheel) I will let you know how it goes....(the hubcaps I am going to try and use are $49.00 each yikes.......but they would cost that much If I spent 100.00 per wheel so I am going to try the clips on rallyes and see how it goes. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
dracko

Quote:
Jocko, thanks for the link, colorado is definitely alot closer. Thats a good point about disk brakes. Can you get 6 lug disk brake kits? Probably something I should do before investing in rims. I'd like to avoid switching out the rear axles to 5.

Quote:
You also might try Rallyamerica. They can make custom wheels with old centers, and I've read only positive reviews from people that have bought from them.

http://www.rallyamerica.com/hotrod_trucks/index.html
Thanks for the link Mark, looks like i've got some price checking to do.$$

Last edited by dracko; 03-29-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

I've have changed widths and dimensions on a few set of wheels over the years. Not really hard to do. This is a company near where I live that does wheel repair. Perhaps you could give them a call and see what they say. No border hassles!

Exact Wheel Repair Inc
1420 Boul Hymus,Dorval, qc H9P-1J6
Phone: (514) 683-6999

A stock 17.5" x 5.25" that I converted to a 17" wheel.

The wheels on my truck in my Avatar are stock 16" widened to 9.5". Widening a stock steel wheel is the easiest as you can simply add a band of steel to widen the existing ring and re-use the same center section.

For a friends 67 Acadian, changed the offset on a stock 15" x 7" in the rear, and made 15" x 4" up front by using four outer sections from two sets of wheels.
I lost two layers of skin on the palms of my hands stripping paint off this car. 2nd. degree chemical burns even though I was wearing industrial rubber gloves. We stripped all the old undercoating off the floor pan. We painted the underneath of the car the same as the rest of the body. Little old man had to give up his licence and decided to give up the car at the same time.
Acadian ( Similar to ChevyII ) was sold as a Pontiac product here in Canada I read somewhere.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1

Last edited by aerotruk63; 03-29-2011 at 03:00 PM.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
dracko

Hey Aerotruck, those 16x9.5's look killer. I called around to a few local shops and found a place, Regina Wheel Works, that might be able to just machine the center out and weld them to a 7" wide rim for $125/rim. So probably gonna go that route.

Thanks everybody for all the recommendations, I probably should've just called around to begin with! haha