The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2022, 06:29 PM   #1
jserrato714

Ca dmv nightmare

Hello guys I have an issue with my newly registered 68 c10. After alot of stress & sleepless nights I finally got my 68 c10 papers. This truck was out of the California dmv system and I only had a bill of sale from the seller. I used a private dmv agent( sorta like AAA) to process the paperwork. After weeks long of the dmv telling him that the bill of sale and his vin verification was not enough to verify year of truck. I decided to drive the truck to my local dmv office in O.C Ca. After a long wait in the vin verification line, finally they helped me and told me that their was no way for them to verify it was a 1968. I told them to look at the original vin plate and focus on the 5th digit which was a 8. That sure as hell did not help and was reffered to my local CHP office. Fast forward a week or two. Chp officer examines my truck and removes the original vin tag and installs and assigned vin # for ca. He then goes on to tell me that the body is a 1968 chevy c10 & that the frame is a 1969 gmc. He now tells me to go to the dmv or the agent I used and submit the paperwork he filled out. As directed I did just that. After about a day or two the agent calls me and tells me that the paperwork & tags, plates & registration is done. My excitement did not last long. My new registration states that my truck is a 1969 chevy c10 and it reads the original chevy vin plate #. Ofcourse that would be great however the CHP officer removed that vin plate and installed an assigned (blue tag) vin plate with the 1969 gmc frame vin #. What the hell do I do. I have done everything that the dmv required from vin verification, weight scale,chp, endless paperwork only to find my self in this predicament. Anyone have any suggestions or has been through this here in Ca. Feedback welcomed🙏
jserrato714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:53 PM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: Ca dmv nightmare

Put a GMC front clip on it?
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:55 PM   #3
68bowtie

I wish I could help. I had a situation with a c30 (different details) that took 7 trips to dmv or chp, and still wasn’t good enough but a dmv manager “let” me sign an affidavit to clear up the last few issues. [insert government rant here]

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:05 PM   #4
truckster

That's crazy. I think I would have lost it about where they removed your original VIN tag.
Old 03-20-2022, 07:13 PM   #5
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
That's crazy. I think I would have lost it about where they removed your original VIN tag.
That's for sure !

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:29 PM   #6
jserrato714

Good ole Cali for you. They drain the life out of you!
Old 03-20-2022, 08:58 PM   #7
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Do you have a photo of the original VIN plate prior to removal? Were rosette rivets affixing this tag?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 09:06 PM   #8
best view

Get a new one made f them .that can be done get the number of the frame if u don’t know it
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:23 PM   #9
jserrato714

Not sure where to get a vin plate done. Also the registration reads 1969 chevy . The vin # they used was from the original vin plate which makes it a 68 c10.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:30 PM   #10
jserrato714

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Do you have a photo of the original VIN plate prior to removal? Were rosette rivets affixing this tag?
Here is the original vin plate. Thanks for the feed back fellas!
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2022, 11:44 PM   #11
leddzepp

You have tags, plates, paperwork…hell just drive and enjoy it

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 11:46 PM   #12
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserrato714 View Post
Hello guys I have an issue with my newly registered 68 c10. After alot of stress & sleepless nights I finally got my 68 c10 papers. This truck was out of the California dmv system and I only had a bill of sale from the seller. I used a private dmv agent( sorta like AAA) to process the paperwork. After weeks long of the dmv telling him that the bill of sale and his vin verification was not enough to verify year of truck. I decided to drive the truck to my local dmv office in O.C Ca. After a long wait in the vin verification line, finally they helped me and told me that their was no way for them to verify it was a 1968. I told them to look at the original vin plate and focus on the 5th digit which was a 8. That sure as hell did not help and was reffered to my local CHP office. Fast forward a week or two. Chp officer examines my truck and removes the original vin tag and installs and assigned vin # for ca. He then goes on to tell me that the body is a 1968 chevy c10 & that the frame is a 1969 gmc. He now tells me to go to the dmv or the agent I used and submit the paperwork he filled out. As directed I did just that. After about a day or two the agent calls me and tells me that the paperwork & tags, plates & registration is done. My excitement did not last long. My new registration states that my truck is a 1969 chevy c10 and it reads the original chevy vin plate #. Ofcourse that would be great however the CHP officer removed that vin plate and installed an assigned (blue tag) vin plate with the 1969 gmc frame vin #. What the hell do I do. I have done everything that the dmv required from vin verification, weight scale,chp, endless paperwork only to find my self in this predicament. Anyone have any suggestions or has been through this here in Ca. Feedback welcomed🙏
You will not win this argument with the Kalifornia DMV or Highway Patrol...so drive it!
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:07 AM   #13
kwmech

Had all kinds of issue years ago with the local DMV. I would take a drive 25 miles away into a different county and did not have any problems. Sometimes you just have to get a different set of eyes on the issue and magically it goes away. The local office was bulldozed a few years back and a new building put it in its place. Wife went in there about a month ago and swept right through the line. So I went in to register a trailer, I was in and out in less than an hour with a vin tag, license plate and paper work. completely new set of people in there willing to do their job. So with all this.........try a different DMV office
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:41 AM   #14
RustyPile

Just another example of why you couldn't melt me down and pour me into the state of California..

One two separate occasions, having only a Bill of Sale, I have applied for a title here in Texas where I live.. Texas has a vehicle department called Texas Auto Theft Taskforce that handles vehicle registration for vehicles without a title. It's a very simple process. You bring the vehicle to one of these taskforce locations, usually a local law enforcement office. The initial requirement is a partial body, fairly complete frame showing the partial VIN number and a partial engine bolted to the frame with at least one bolt. Doesn't have to be a running operable vehicle.. On both my occasions the VIN didn't make reference to year of production. The guy asked me "what year"? It just so happened that both my vehicles were the same year. My reply, "1960." He asked me how I knew, so I pointed out a couple details on the frame and body that were one year only features.. He ran the VINs through a national data base to check for stolen, surrendered for salvage, liens, etc.. Nothing came back so he typed "year model - 1960".. Handed me the paperwork to submit to DMV.. Two weeks later I received negotiable bonded titles for both vehicles.. Both vehicle titles "passed" the 3 year waiting period.. I now have clean, clear, negotiable titles for both vehicles.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:11 AM   #15
mkmc69

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
You have tags, plates, paperwork…hell just drive and enjoy it
Do that!
mkmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:51 AM   #16
custom10nut

Your struggle is absolutely absurd.
What the Government calls Regulations, are nothing more than Controls, aimed at getting “Old Vehicles” off the road.
They want you to give up.
I don’t understand why anybody lives in that State.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:45 AM   #17
jserrato714

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Your struggle is absolutely absurd.
What the Government calls Regulations, are nothing more than Controls, aimed at getting “Old Vehicles” off the road.
They want you to give up.
I don’t understand why anybody lives in that State.
I could not have put it better my friend. Its been bad for years but for the most part. Its all gone to ****. And sinking deeper into the abyss.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:49 AM   #18
jserrato714

Well yes now with paperwork I can drive the hell out of her. Selling the truck will be quite the adventure . Having to explain exactly how I have a 69 chevy c10 with a chp issued 69 gmc vin tag . Lol
Old 03-21-2022, 09:06 AM   #19
Joyridin

What is the vin number on the frame? I thought most states went off the cab. Does California go off the frame? Mine was stamped on the drivers side right between the upper control arm mounting.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:16 AM   #20
SkidmoreGarage

I'd call the 1800 number for the state office of the DMV. When I was still in California I had a surprising result to resolve a complex issue.

While you could "just drive it", the problem is that if anything were to happen that required verifying the vehicle, you may lose the vehicle or your legal claim to it. If it were stolen, good luck getting it back. If your insurance wants a vehicle inspection, if you move to another state that requires an inspection, if you get pulled over for a ticket by a cop that just wants to ruin your day, etc.

As an aside, I knew a family that never registered their cars. They were a bit strange, but the husband was a lawyer and he was confident that they were fine. They never had an issue. Just don't get break any traffic laws and drive a cheap car.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:02 AM   #21
Rickysnickers

Having been an LEO and an auto theft investigator, I have no idea why the inspecting officer removed a properly assigned and attached VIN plate. If there's a VIN plate on the body, then .CA registers it by that, not a partial frame number/VIN.

You've got your title, so the truck is yours, please ignore some of the comments in the above post. There are some inaccuracies in it. I would however, call the CHP office you went to and speak to the officer's supverisor and ask why your original VIN was removed. You will not get it back, but you should be given a reason why it was removed.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:10 AM   #22
Accelo

[QUOTE=
As an aside, I knew a family that never registered their cars. They were a bit strange, but the husband was a lawyer and he was confident that they were fine. They never had an issue. Just don't get break any traffic laws and drive a cheap car.[/QUOTE]

My insurance company requires the vehicle to be registered in my name. Unsure how they pulled this off. So I would consider adding "don't get in any wrecks" to your list.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:23 AM   #23
leftybass209

Been there, done that. Had a 69 out of state... put a 71 cab on it.

My Vin officer made it a 2015, with no choice in the matter.

Consider yourself lucky. I had every other Vin officer in the state saying they'd have tagged it a 69, but nobody wanted to step on his toes and change paperwork.

If these trucks were numbers matching, with SS* or Z28 style supporting documentation, provenance, etc. I'd have been more discerning. Now, I have a tagged and registered long fleet, and an undrivable short fleet. Somewhere down the line I'll have 1 registered shortbed and the DMV and CHP will be completely cut out of the equation
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:28 PM   #24
purple gas

Move to Saskatchewan, Canada.
No " titles" for vehicle sales, it's not realestate after all.
Walk into a Motor License Issue place with a bill of sale written in crayon on the back of a beer bottle label and as long as the VIN didn't show up as stolen or total loss or failed a roadside safety you could license that as an antique for $15.00 a month, all in.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:23 PM   #25
1967-C10

title it in Vermont, then transfer to your state title. Done.
1967-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote