The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2023, 02:29 PM   #1
72SB

Intermittent blinker?

The left blinker just stays on. Right works fine....then left works...then sometimes the light just stays on.

turn signal switch or??

or if either front or rear blinker bulb has a sketchy filament??
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 02:55 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Intermittent blinker?

The flasher unit has a set of points and a bi-metal strip in it.. As current flows through the flasher, the strip heats up and bends. The points open and current flow stops.. The bi-metal strip cools and bends back, closing the points and the cycle begins again.. If a bulb burns out or an otherwise open circuit occurs, the current flow isn't heavy enough to heat the strip, so the lights don't flash..

Check all the bulbs, paying close attention to the left side bulbs.. If they are all good, your flasher unit is probably beginning to fail, replace it.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:29 PM   #3
Yamariv

Just dealt with a similar situation..my right front would intermittently work. Sometimes it would signal outside and on the dash and other times nothing but the left side always flashed.

I checked and added frame grounds, nothing..ordered a flasher assembly and took my column apart only to find that the contacts looked black and dirty. Before replacing, I cleaned the contacts with electrical cleaner, then put some die electric grease and all my signals work perfectly now. Before replacing parts, clean the contacts and see where you're at lol

I guess I have a spare signal mechanism now..

Upgrades: Power Steering
3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
Power Brakes (Incoming!!..)
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Yamariv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:19 AM   #4
72SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
If a bulb burns out or an otherwise open circuit occurs, the current flow isn't heavy enough to heat the strip, so the lights don't flash..

Check all the bulbs, paying close attention to the left side bulbs.. If they are all good, your flasher unit is probably beginning to fail, replace it.
Yeah I initially thought I had a bad turn signal bulb as I know that would cause that side to read just on for the dash blinker indicator. Of course, when I checked by turning on all the lights and turn signal when I got home....the blinker worked...now it does or doesn't.

My rear side bed markers do not blink, front fender side markers do. I assume that is right?

I will try taping the front turn/marker lights to see if the filament is suspect and the rear bulb also. Ideally its either flaky bulb or flasher....I would rather not have to pull the wheel to replace turn signal switch....unless it comes to that
Old 06-26-2023, 12:04 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

The rear marker lights are not supposed to blink, like the fronts do when using the turn signals.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 01:21 PM   #6
72SB

tapping lights revealed taillight bulb was the culprit. Had another 1157 in my stash.

While poking around up front I saw the DS core support bolt lose. It would appear whoever put the body back on after paint used a FU carriage bolt....and stash bolt to the rescue.

Always a good day when stash stuff resolves problems