The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
'68OrangeSunshine

Going back to Points -- L6 292

I have an L6 292 in a '68 C/10 Stepside. [Original engine -- rebuilt in 2005]. About 35,000 miles since major overhaul.
It's had a PerTronix Ignitor II/ Flamethrower II electronic ignition conversion in the point-triggered Delco-Remy housing since about 2008. Last year, I started getting a blackout gripe. Ignition would shut down at speeds +65 MPH [2800-3000 RPM]. Unless I put the clutch in instantly the crankcase would cold-mill at high RPM. If I slowed down to 55 MPH, and turned the key off-then-on, then it would pop start in 4th.
Lately the gripe got worse -- so that just pulling an empty trailer up a slight hill at 45 MPH, it would black out.
Also it overheated. Since then the water pump, radiator hoses, heater hoses, thermostat and coolant have been replaced. Running in place, it's still running hot, and won't hold an idle. Seems to idle at 450-500 RPM, but dies. If I massage the gas pedal, it will stay running at about 1400 -2000 RPM. With many random backfires.

Carb needs rebuild. Edelbrock 1404 500 CFM. It's on my list.

Distributor has a weird wobble. Thinking the reluctor was winding up and away from the pickup module on high RPMs, we attempted to cure that with a shim between the housing and gear. Now I find in Leo Santuccis book that "Shims ... are not critical because this is a down-thrust distributor."

So while I disassemble [read dissect] the Accel blueprinted Delco-Remy distributor with the PerTronix goodies, I'm going to put in a breaker-point stock set-up in a cleaned-up stock distributor with virgin breaker plate and new points and condenser, and see what kind of base-line I come up with.

The PerTronix Tech rep says the Flamethrower II coil will be incompatible with the stock points. I have a bunch of old coils on my shelf in the shed.
What proceedure should I use to test them?

The Tech Rep also said a high EMI would cause the module to shut down, but the only electronics on this truck was the PerTronix. Not even a radio.

I did find a short [gnawed-off insulation -- shorting to the bellhousing] in the wire I ran from the IGN/Unfused terminal to the Flamethrower II coil (+) terminal, I had spliced in a yellow 20 line to the starter terminal to duplicate the OEM configuration. I'm not sure this was necessary. Ran fine for 7 years.
[The old 20 Orange/White/Purple resistance wire and Yellow 20 to the coil I taped off.]

I have a NIB L6 HEI, but I want to find out what species of gremlin has climbed on my truck, before I throw on new parts. Also I want to keep the PerTronix if it's still good for a later project involving another 292.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 10-14-2015 at 04:17 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote