The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2005, 03:57 AM   #1
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

Question Dash Guages Removal?

totally rewiring my'49 gmc,....and in the process of ripping out the old butchered-up '76 nova harness that the p.o. had ATTEMPTED to install.....i was trying to remove the old dash guages ( cluster of older stewart-warner..oil,fuel,voltage,temp., and the 5" auto-meter speedo.) it's hard to be able to see from underneath the dash,the mounting of the guages. around the outer diameter of the guage "pod" at 10,2,4,8 o'clock there is a small tab w/ a sheet metal screw, (pointy-end coming through the backside). how in the heck do you get to the mounting screws to be able to remove both 5" guages? can't see much from underneath,... so you gotta do your "seeing" by sense of touch,hunched up next to the dash sitting in the driver's seat.there's gotta be a way to release those sheet-metal screws...but how do you get to the head of 'em to back 'em out? are after-market guages attached to the bezel on the facing of dash? the one's i remember had a metal "hoop" that is bolted w/ 1/4x20's and the feet of the hoop go against the back-side of the panel that the guage is being attached to....
'96 gmc sonoma sle ext-cab. hey it's a 4cyl. 5 spd and good on gas y'know?
BUXMAN66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
horvath

I replaced my old (original) gauges while rewiring the entire truck ... which made it easier because with all the old wiring removed, there was a whole lot more room under and behind that dash! Removing the gauges wasn't a problem for me ... I replaced them with Dolphin Gauges ... but working under the dash sure is the WORST!

See my gauges install Here

See my wiring project Here
Old 03-20-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

getting ready to head back out to the garage .....armed w/ my g/f's handhelp mirror i stole from the bathroom. maybe this'll help to see what the crap is holding these guages in place!! your journal of the re-wiring and guage removal/install....is quite the "classic trucks" type magazine article,alan!! good job,and thanks for putting the information out here.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:05 AM   #4
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

got it done ,thanks to the ole mirror trick! wouldn't believe the half-ass way the guages were installed.....using the original bezel's and backing cups.finally got all the wiring ripped out. guages were in exceptionally good shape....all stewart-warner(fuel,volt.,temp.,oil press.) the speedo is a 5" auto-meter pro-comp.will be posting these on the 47-54,and 67-72 for sale boards if anyone's interested.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:36 AM   #5
horvath

Congratulations, bro'!

I bought me one o' dem telescopic mirrors -- VERY handy at times!

And also, a telescopic magnet (only like $1, too!) and that sucker is powerful!!