The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #1
nikwho

'68 GMC - looking for BBC headers

Hello guys,
I'm looking for a set of BBC headers for my '68 GMC. It's a factory SBC/std. trans truck with high hump. Has '80-'87 sub frame, Performance On-Line tubular engine mounts, drop spindles/springs. Just installed my '69 427 BBC, bored +0.030" to 433". It has a th350 transmission, but I plan to soon swap to a standard transmission. I've got nearly everything needed to go to a Muncie, so I was kicking around an M22 Rock Crusher swap. I love the way that those sound, plus, I think that a close close ratio 4 speed would be plenty fun and would gear accordingly. I may just pony up for a t56, as a 6 speed with overdrive also sounds nice. Anyway, I digress.

I was traveling down the road of modifying some '67-'69 Camaro BBC headers, but not really super excited about that path. I'm looking for some headers that will work with a BBC with the crossmember that I've got as well as the POL tubular towers. I want to be able to run a normal starter. I don't need huge primaries, but obviously want them to flow well. I was gonna run the Camaro headers, but they required some "adjusting" with a hammer to make them fit. They also required re-routing the primary tube that ran closest to the rear lower control arms. It's gotten involved enough that I want to see if there are good headers out there, in the $300-$600ish range that would bolt right in and work without denting tubes. I also want to make sure that they are going to cause issue when I do my standard transmission swap.

Nik
Old 06-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
nikwho

Re: '68 GMC - looking for BBC headers

Wanted to add that I am looking for ball and socket style flanges, also. I have already purchased my ball and socket adapters with co2 bungs for the FiTech MeanStreet EFI kit that I intend to run.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #3
nikwho

Re: '68 GMC - looking for BBC headers

I'm currently reading all of the threads that came up from my search. I have just enough going on thats a little different than standard, that I thought that my own thread would be warranted. None of the other threads that I've found so far speak to running square body crossmembers, POL tubular mounts and most seem to buy the 3 bolt style flanges, whereas I would like to stick with the ball and socket style.

Nik