The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
FCShively

Wiper Mystery

Trying to complete a frame-off restoration on a 77 Chevy SWB. I purchased a 84 wiper/wiper motor. It has a pigtail on the top left with a black/blue and a gray wire. To the right and a little lower are large two male connectors, no pigtail for this one. On the bottom is a pigtail with a white wire and a pink wire. From the column are 5 wires. Lt blue, gray, pink, purple and black. I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to wire these two units together. If someone could lend any help at all, I would be forever endebted.
FCShively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
Duster

Re: Wiper Mystery

Does it have something to do with the intermittent wipers? Is the column also out of the 84? Doesn't the 84 have a switch on the column and the 77 have it on the dash? You might post some pictures. Someone on here will know whats up with it.
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
FCShively

Nothing to do with the intermittent wipers. Its an 84 column with the switch on the column. It's also a 84 wiper/washer motor. Because I rewired the truck and changed out the column is why I am stuck. I need to make the wires to go from the column switch to the wiper motor, just don't know where each wire connects. The wiring harness I used has only one wire and it's ignition hot.
Thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Greenlee

What year is your fuse box from? The plug for the wiper motor comes out of the back of the fuse box. I'm thinking it's either combined with the head light harness or the tail light harness. I used a wiring harness from an 89' Suburban in my truck and for the most part everything just plugged in and worked. If you are mixing and matching with the 77' wire harness, I think it would be easier and cleaner to find a complete harness from a mid 80's truck or Suburban.
Posted via Mobile Device
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

not sure whats the same but....
do you have the "delay box"(grey heat sink hanging from coloum)
i'm doing this too but still stripping out the 88
so 88 gold into 78 blue,
havn't worked it out yet but I thought pulling both sides of the firewall
it would "bolt/wire up"
after switching fuse boxes, my 78 is still glass
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
FCShively

The fuse block is new as it was part of the wiring harness when I purchased it. It has the newer plastic fuses.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCShively View Post
I purchased a 84 wiper/wiper motor. It has a pigtail on the top left with a black/blue and a gray wire. To the right and a little lower are large two male connectors, no pigtail for this one. On the bottom is a pigtail with a white wire and a pink wire.
The top/left 2-wire connector with the black/blue and gray wires is for the park switch that makes the blades return to the bottom of the windshield when the switch is turned off.

The two large male connectors off to the right of that are for the washer pump relay. Those should have a plug with a white and pink wire.

The connector on the bottom of the motor should have 3 wires ... white, gray, and purple. From your description, it sounds like you're missing this pigtail and somehow have the one for the washer pump with the white/pink wires hooked there instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCShively View Post
From the column are 5 wires. Lt blue, gray, pink, purple and black.
That matches up with the 84 wiring diagram except it's showing a black w/ light blue stripe wire instead of a solid light blue. Might be a newer year or replacement switch.

Anyway, to connect it all up, you'll want to run the +12V ignition feed wire from your new wiring harness to the white wire that should be on the 3-terminal plug that's on the bottom of the motor. The +12V feed should also go to the white wire on the plug that connects to the washer pump relay (two large male terminals on the front).

The gray wire from the park switch should run down and connect to the gray wire on the 3-terminal plug that's on the bottom of the motor. And it should branch off and run back to the gray wire on the switch.

The purple wire from the 3-terminal plug on the bottom of the motor should run run directly back to the purple wire on the switch.

The black wire with lt blue stripe from the 2-terminal plug on the park switch (upper left) should run directly back to the black/blue wire (or in your case lt blue) wire on the switch.

The pink wire from the 2-terminal plug on the washer pump relay also runs directly back to the pink wire on the switch.

And finally, the black wire on the switch is a ground.

Here's a quick diagram I drew up using a pic of a wiper motor I found on the net:

Last edited by ray_mcavoy; 02-21-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added diagram
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
FCShively

I appreciate the time it took you to compile all of that info. Hopefully, someday I will be able to repay the favor.

FCS
Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
Honky Lips

BTTT-

HALP! I wired my switch direct to the motor, jumper wires for power and ground. everything works, except the delay function.

tried 3 different switches/modules. wth is wrong?
Honky Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #10
Greenlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honky Lips View Post
BTTT-

HALP! I wired my switch direct to the motor, jumper wires for power and ground. everything works, except the delay function.

tried 3 different switches/modules. wth is wrong?
For what it's worth, I replaced several switches and delay modules trying to get the delay function to work and trying to get the wipers to immediately turn off and park at the bottom of the windshield. They would stay on and i would have to keep turning the switch on and off to get them to stop. Finally, I replaced the motor and my wipers work perfectly now. To make a long story short, I wouldn't assume it's the switch/delay module. It could be the motor.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote