The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2017, 12:43 AM   #1
Steven R

Rust repair Better then I thought...

So a year ago I order replacement part for my driver and passenger doors and was not pleased with the detail of the stamping. I have been looking for a long time to find better stamping but I am in the same boat as the rest of us, no magic manufacture has yet been found.

So being more than anal about the little details in bodylines even the ones no one else will ever see. I then tried to find a set of good oem doors, but here in manitoba finding good doors is not easy, and shipping doors from the US and the cost of exchange has made it to costly. But I did find a set better set that needed some rust repair then the ones I had and though I might be able to take the good parts from one set of doors to fix the other rusted out parts of the 2nd set of doors. As these two sets of doors need different repairs in different areas. But some areas were going to need some handmade pcs. I decided to attempt to try to make the pieces I needed to make it as like factory did.

So the frist major problem that I though needing attention after sandblasting and epoxy priming was the driver door hinge. Over time the lots of use the hinge area was damage and fatigue cracked in both the inner structure and outer skin. you can see in the pic were the PO had attempted and repair.

I cut out the outer skin and exposed the inner structure.

I then ground out and reshaped the metal to get it back to factory shape and position.

Then I V grooved the metal a little just enough to insure full penetration. And welded it up and ground in smooth.

I made a new pcs using the cut out as a template and welded it in, and sanded smooth.

This repair want much better than I was hoping for and with 3 coats of high build primer I really thing this repair will be hard to see if be able to be seen at all.

Sorry for some of the pics being out of order still learning how to do the whole pic thing
Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote