The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
plowro8

Nice 1950 find?

Normally I am in the 67-72 forum, but I have been looking for an old 3100 for some time, and I may have finally found one. Found this one on the side of the road, checked it out, looked it over. Has very minor surface rust in a few areas... no rust through. Started right up, ran smooth, drove great. Truck has been well maintained with original stovebolt 6 cyl. Everything works on the truck except the wipers. Frame is very solid, glass and seals are good. Thoughts on value?
Attached Images

plowro8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
plowro8

Re: Nice 1950 find?

Couple more pics
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
Warrens69GMC

IF it doesn't have a lot of bondo, I would say 6-10k depending on where you live and your haggling skills.

I say if, because the body appears to have newer paint (BC/CC) and I would be all over it where you live because of rust.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
plowro8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
IF it doesn't have a lot of bondo, I would say 6-10k depending on where you live and your haggling skills.

I say if, because the body appears to have newer paint (BC/CC) and I would be all over it where you live because of rust.
I think it does have some bondo, but I don't think much. I looked it over pretty well. If it has a lot of bondo, they did a pretty darn nice job with it. Curves are smooth, don't see any waviness or pits, or sanding marks. It has a single stage paint job that was done about 10 yrs ago. It has been sitting outside since Feb. Normally it doesn't seem that you find them in this condition. They are either all done up and selling for 30k, or they are rusted out and a complete project, at least that has been my experience in my search. Anyway, he is asking $10,500

Last edited by plowro8; 09-30-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:57 AM   #5
mr48chev

From what I have seen advertised on facebook for a lot more and being a lot less I don't think the price is that far out of line if you plan to keep it pretty much as outside of things that bolt on like wheels and tires. The good news there he doesn't have a spendy set of wheels and tires that you don't like on it in hope of jacking up the price.

I think the value is there in what you don't have to do to have a nice driver but outside of wheels and tires or drivetrain I'd figure out what I would want to change and put the cost of the changes in my bargaining chip.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
b-mac

I'm sure you already know this, but get a magnet on those cab corners.

$10K seems decent, unless your cab corners rust out in a couple years,
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
MiraclePieCo

You are right: mid-priced ADs are rare. Usually they're either junkers for $2000 or street rodded for $30,000.

Cab corner rust is so typical and easily repaired, I don't think it should even be an issue. You can look inside the cab to see if repairs have been done, or check the other typical rust spots that are more exposed, such as door bottoms. But if this is the truck you've been looking for, I'd buy it and not let potential cab corner rust be an issue. Even if there is rust there, it will be years before it manifests itself, and you can fix it then.

Put the decision in the seller's court: make him an offer that makes YOU feel good. Then buy it, drive it, enjoy it!
Old 10-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
Shinysideup

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowro8 View Post
I think it does have some bondo, but I don't think much. I looked it over pretty well. If it has a lot of bondo, they did a pretty darn nice job with it. Curves are smooth, don't see any waviness or pits, or sanding marks. It has a single stage paint job that was done about 10 yrs ago. It has been sitting outside since Feb. Normally it doesn't seem that you find them in this condition. They are either all done up and selling for 30k, or they are rusted out and a complete project, at least that has been my experience in my search. Anyway, he is asking $10,500
Thats a base/clear job. What happened below the gas fill?

Looks like it could be a good buy if bodywork was done well and do something different with the wheels.
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #9
mr48chev

There is nothing wrong with a little body filler to finish out smoothing it out after you get the metal as close as you can by working it. The list of top names that do all metal finishing and don't use any filler is a real short one and a real expensive one. That is as long as the truck isn't built out of bondo. That's one of the reasons I am building a new cab for my truck and cutting up the old one. I'll be first to admit that the corners of the cab where I chopped it are pretty thick bondo because 38 years ago I didn't have the skill, tools, equipment and especially patience I have now. I was always in a big honking hurry to get things done rather than getting them done right.

I'd take and shine a good flashlight down in the cab corners to see what the inside looks like, that will tell you a lot about what was done. Maybe even stick your camera or phone in there to get photos that you can look at if you can't see back there.

Look up under the fenders to see if there were dents that were filled or rust out anywhere especially under the fender alongside the cowl where they rust a lot. Take a look at the kick panels as those are rust spots.

It looks like an old enough build that any rust issues would make themselves known by now. That should mean it is a pretty nice truck for the $$

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #10
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
38 years ago I didn't have the skill, tools, equipment and especially patience I have now. I was always in a big honking hurry to get things done rather than getting them done right.
That's funny, I'm the opposite. Now that I have fewer years ahead of me, I'm MORE hurried to get things done. I'm realizing that I'm not going to last forever, so my truck doesn't need to last forever. It's more important to get it done while I still have the capability, than to get it perfect. How many Craigslist ads say "health issues force sale." I've seen far too many old guys die before their project was finished.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:13 PM   #11
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraclepieco View Post
that's funny, i'm the opposite. Now that i have fewer years ahead of me, i'm more hurried to get things done. I'm realizing that i'm not going to last forever, so my truck doesn't need to last forever. It's more important to get it done while i still have the capability, than to get it perfect. How many craigslist ads say "health issues force sale." i've seen far too many old guys die before their project was finished.
1+++++++++++
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:01 PM   #12
GreasyLikeaBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
That's funny, I'm the opposite. Now that I have fewer years ahead of me, I'm MORE hurried to get things done. I'm realizing that I'm not going to last forever, so my truck doesn't need to last forever. It's more important to get it done while I still have the capability, than to get it perfect. How many Craigslist ads say "health issues force sale." I've seen far too many old guys die before their project was finished.

That statement digs deep. I feel that I will be that guy someday. Ive had mine for over 21 years and I only drove it once, and that was home. Thats almost half my life, its been in pieces waiting. Well off to the garage, better start putting my time in.
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:55 PM   #13
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyLikeaBurger View Post
That statement digs deep. I feel that I will be that guy someday. Ive had mine for over 21 years and I only drove it once, and that was home. Thats almost half my life, its been in pieces waiting. Well off to the garage, better start putting my time in.
Reminds me of stories about guys who build boats in their basements with no way to get them out.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:38 PM   #14
1project2many

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Reminds me of stories about guys who build boats in their basements with no way to get them out.
I knew a guy that did the same thing with a restored tractor. He paid to have a doorway installed in the downhill side of the basement rather than take the tractor apart.

Same guy said he ran into trouble framing his house before the tub / shower enclosure was installed. lol...

Last edited by 1project2many; 10-04-2018 at 12:51 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #15
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyLikeaBurger View Post
Dude!! Finish it, drive it, perfect it as you go. I've owned mine two years. Put hard time in it for the first year and now while I've been driving it all summer, I have been fixing all the little things like wipers or a new seat or suspension bushing, etc. The next time I take it all apart will be for paint, but it drives the same rusty as it does painted

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #16
gigamanx

To the OP...I don't see anything out of the ordinary that would be costly. I've got 10k in parts into mine and my interior is barely there! Check for a 12v conversion, that might be a nice plus. Check if the bed wood is in good shape. Check if the window glass is delaminating. Those might be some dollars to fix. The wiper conversion I did from the vacuum wiper to an electric motor was extremely easy and I had no idea what I was doing. I believe there is a 6v and 12v wiper motor you can get.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote