The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
Driver_WT

S10 Rear Spring Measurement

We are fixing some frame modifications made by a previous owner. We have a 1993 S10 2WD extended cab frame. Can someone tell me the following measurement for the rear leaf spring on an S10 2WD - the distance from the center of the front eye bolt in the rear leaf spring to the center of the bolt in the rear spring shackle in the frame (i.e. the center of the rear bolt that goes through the frame and the top of the rear spring shackle). Hopefully that makes sense.

Wade
Old 10-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: S10 Rear Spring Measurement

https://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/..._Truck_pgs.pdf

try this, start at about page 51 and go from there. the front area will show what model of truck you have so you can find the right page in the frame drawings.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
https://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/..._Truck_pgs.pdf

try this, start at about page 51 and go from there. the front area will show what model of truck you have so you can find the right page in the frame drawings.
Thanks very much. I went through the entire doc and cannot find the distance between the rear spring leaf mounting points (to center of bolt in upper part of rear spring shackle).
Old 10-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
1project2many

There are a couple of sites I like:
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...oducts_id=1430

https://www.truckspring.com/Search.a...-of-Leaves:3-3

The SRI number from the first page will cross on the second page. I will often copy the specifications from the first page into Excel then add the missing information from the second page.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #5
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
There are a couple of sites I like:
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...oducts_id=1430

https://www.truckspring.com/Search.a...-of-Leaves:3-3

The SRI number from the first page will cross on the second page. I will often copy the specifications from the first page into Excel then add the missing information from the second page.
Thanks for the info. I already had the specs on the leaf springs, but I am trying to find the measurements on the frame. I do not know if I should measure the springs with no load, with the axle, without the axle. We will be modifying the frame and I want to ensure that I get the rear shackle mount in the right place on the frame.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
dsraven

so, basically you are looking for the dimension on the frame from the center of the front spring mounting bolt to the rear shackle hanging bolt?

looks like (for 122" wheel base) 20.94 from front bolt to axle centerline, then no dimension spec'd from axle to rear spring frame location. it's a rubber bushing in a bracket on the frame, correct? somewhere just behind the frame cross member located near there?
is your frame cut up or something? missing the frame bracket?
maybe worth a trip to pick n pull with a tape measure or some no stretch string and masking tape? use the string, held against the center of the front mount hole, then arced back to the rear hole. place the tape on the string at those points and mark with sharp pencil then measure the string with the tape. make sure to measure a truck like your frame donor because I think the springs have different lengths between trucks with diff wheelbase.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
Driver_WT

Quote:
so, basically you are looking for the dimension on the frame from the center of the front spring mounting bolt to the rear shackle hanging bolt? - CORRECT AND YOU SAID IT MORE CONCISELY THAN ME

looks like (for 122" wheel base) 20.94 from front bolt to axle centerline, then no dimension spec'd from axle to rear spring frame location. it's a rubber bushing in a bracket on the frame, correct? somewhere just behind the frame cross member located near there? - CORRECT
is your frame cut up or something? CORRECT missing the frame bracket? IN THE WRONG PLACE ON THE FRAME
maybe worth a trip to pick n pull with a tape measure or some no stretch string and masking tape? use the string, held against the center of the front mount hole, then arced back to the rear hole. place the tape on the string at those points and mark with sharp pencil then measure the string with the tape. make sure to measure a truck like your frame donor because I think the springs have different lengths between trucks with diff wheelbase.
See responses above in your reply
Old 10-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #8
dsraven

if no responses come back from this site you might try calling a frame repair shop, they might loosen up with some dimensions for that.they have access to detailed frame measurement because they need to ensure these points are correct when they straighten a frame.
or make a trip to pick n pull, they have a website that shows if they have any of your vehicle in their yard.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:17 PM   #9
NorCalGal

I measured mine and came up with 53 inches from the front spring hole to the rear shackle hole in the frame
Old 10-01-2018, 10:22 PM   #10
NorCalGal

That is as the crow flys if you want me to hang some plumb bobs and measure let me know.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #11
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGal View Post
I measured mine and came up with 53 inches from the front spring hole to the rear shackle hole in the frame
that is great. Thank you. Do you know the wheelbase for the frame on your truck?

Wade
Old 10-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #12
NorCalGal

117 inches, it was a standard cab long bed. If you need to shorten your frame cut at the factory weld under the cab remove the 5 inches and reweld.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #13
dsraven

like norcal says, grind off the weld under the drivers foot area, where the front suspension frame meets the rest of the frame, slip the parts together-or apart as needed, then reweld the parts back like factory. I suggest to mark the frame ahead and behind the spot so you can get everything back together the same on each side.
if your frame is hacked up you may wanna just get a new one and do it up right. the frame is the base for the rest of the truck. get that right so everything else is also right.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #14
Driver_WT

Thanks guys. The frame is not really hacked up, but the rear spring shackle mount was moved - PO tried to shorten the frame from the rear
The plan is to put the rear spring shackle back where it belongs and then shorten the frame properly.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #15
dsraven

check to be sure, but some guys moved the rear spring mount because they also moved the front spring mount for wheelbase change or ride height. since the front mount is not on the flat bottom of the frame, but instead on the upswing of the frame bump over the rear axle, it can affect the ride height or driveline angle.
correct guys? been awhile since I had an s10 in the shop.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #16
dsraven

do you have a pic of that?
Old 10-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #17
joedoh

dsraven I think you are talking about people who LENGTHEN a shortbed s10 by moving the rear perch back 8 inches, and cut the rear 11 inches off the frame and flip it over to move the rear shackle mount back 8 inches. this gives a shortbed s10 108" truck a 116" wheelbase. because the perch moves up along the frame slightly you get a little free lowering

I havent ever seen anyone shorten an ext cab s10 by moving the perches forward, thats just a whole lot of work in the making not only for the because the axle would probably hit the frame and definitely would interfere with the gas tank crossmember.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:20 PM   #18
NorCalGal

Here's a pic of the front leaf spring mount. The front rivet on the side is 6 1/4 inches rearward of the oval hole.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #19
Driver_WT

Quote:
check to be sure, but some guys moved the rear spring mount because they also moved the front spring mount for wheelbase change or ride height. since the front mount is not on the flat bottom of the frame, but instead on the upswing of the frame bump over the rear axle, it can affect the ride height or driveline angle.
correct guys? been awhile since I had an s10 in the shop.
This is exactly what was done by PO. We moved the front spring mount back to its original position on the upswing of the frame bump over the rear axle and added a piece to the frame to move the rear spring mount to the correct location. Work got mostly completed today.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #20
dsraven

hey driver, got a pic?