The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

I fired my body/paint guy today (rant mode on)

Long story Long.. I took the a fleetside bed to my paint/body guy in April and asked what it'd cost me to get media blasted and painted and he quoted me a price that was acceptable. I talked with him about my gas tank relocation and that I wanted a filler on the bed and he said bring him the truck and tank so he could look and i did the next day. He calls and says he has a guy that can do the tank relocation adn that would make it easy to do a filler on the bed for him so I said go ahead...

4 months later and 250 phone calls....

My bed is painted and honestly looks good. I expected no less. My truck has not moved. The guy going to do the tank relo told me that he has called "paint guy" for 3 weeks wondering where the truck is. I questioned "paint guy" about this today and he tells me "I've been busy racing". and then proceeds to ask for payment for what he's done already. I told him figure up a bill I'm coming to get everything tomorrow

I took it to someone b/c I though it would be finished faster. I was wrong. So if anyone in the Atlanta area has done a gas tank swap and want to shed some insight over a case of beer, jug of sweet tea or whatever just let me know and I still have the filler in the bed to worry about...

-Homer Simpson
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: I fired my body/paint guy today (rant mode on)

As long as your truck has side markers there is always the side-marker fill option

Sorry for your misfortune, that's why I painted my truck. (that and I can't afford a painter)
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
bskylerj
Account Suspended

I know what you are going through and it is very frustrating.
bskylerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
ChevyDude

I feel your pain.....been there done that....hated every min of dealling with him! I am soooo much better off with my new painter!!!
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Count me in too as one who has been there before!

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #6
Premium72

drop me an email....we can figure it out....

urbanlayers01@aol.com
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:59 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I hate waiting for things,yet paying for the reason I`m waiting.Like they forget what`s paying for that race car.
How `bout bringing it up through the stake pocket?What`s the problem with tank relocate guy?You`re done with paint guy and he was the problem,right?I may not be clear on this.You`re fed-up with the paint guy and the final straw was not simply getting it to tank guy,right?Or,is there a problem with tank guy,too?Good luck,you`re almost there.Frustrating,ain`t it?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:59 AM   #8
junkyardjohn

I Had A Truck In "paint Prison" For Several Months That Went Untouched. That Experiance Led Me To Learn To Paint My Own Vehicals. Todays Paints Are Pretty Idiot Proof, & If I Can Do It... Anybody Can. Theres No Magic Involved. Just Get Good Materials & A Good Gun. You'll Save Yourself Enough To Buy A New Crate Motor & Still Have The Spraygun For The Next Truck. Don't Try To Cheap Out With $39 A Gallon Paint & A $39 Gun. For A Nice Paint Job You Need Good Mtl.s. John
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:26 AM   #9
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

If I were painting the entire truck, I would have definetly done it myself and have the tools and equipment. But since I needed to match an existing paintjob I thought I'd leave it to professionals.

Getting the tank relocated and everything was just an added bonus because quite honestly I don't have a lot of time and for once I had the money to pay for it. I can get the tank relocated myself, I dont' think it will be too difficult, the filler is just what I'm worried about. I just want that part to look good and planning on putting it in the floorboard of the bed (which isn't painted b/c I'm going to Line-X it).

-Homer Simpson
Old 08-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #10
ChevyDude

You may know...My "Fired" painter did not weld up the cab gas filler hole and painted my truck that way. So now, I am left with sanding the new paint down, welding in the cab hole filler piece, and then the "New" painter say he can match it for me. Yes ...these painter issues suck. For me anymore, If it's not painted and done in a "reasonable" amount of time...he can F.O. pardon my language....and I'm out of there.

Sting...It will all work out.

For me....My next truck (68 SWB) I will be buying all the tools, HVLP gun and all, and painting it myself, whether I rent a booth, or turn my garage into a makeshift paint booth. My next buy is going to be a 210 Millermatic.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #11
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

A good build isnt complete without having to fire at least one paint guy.
If he doesnt drag it along....ask for money regularly or put collision work in front of you...he isnt a true paint guy. I stoped buying vehicles that needed paint for that very reason. Whatever time frame he tells you......add 50% to it and then double it. We wont even go into mechanics leins once you get fed up with it and go to try to take it back!!!!!!

I did come come up with a good system of weeding out the jack asses. When you are interviewing paint guys....tell them you will require that they sign a legal document stating it will be done on a certain day or you are free to come remove the vehicle and they waive their right to place a mechanics lein on it. Also NEVER give money up front. Pay in stages. Once the body work is inspected....one payment...once the primer is satisfactory...another payment and finally once the finish is approved and the car is out of his shop.....pay the remainder.

This little system normally weeds out the painters that have no intention of sticking to a schedule and are just trying to get your vehicle under his roof. Once its there...you are stuck!!!!

Depending on the type paint job you are wanting...my last experience was a good one. Fair price and fast. He is in Austell GA. If you are in the mid-Atlantic area...I have a couple of buds that also do a good job for fair prices in the Petersburg Va. area.

Last edited by 72freak; 08-10-2006 at 09:50 AM.
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:55 AM   #12
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjohn
I Had A Truck In "paint Prison" For Several Months That Went Untouched. That Experiance Led Me To Learn To Paint My Own Vehicals. Todays Paints Are Pretty Idiot Proof, & If I Can Do It... Anybody Can. Theres No Magic Involved. Just Get Good Materials & A Good Gun. You'll Save Yourself Enough To Buy A New Crate Motor & Still Have The Spraygun For The Next Truck. Don't Try To Cheap Out With $39 A Gallon Paint & A $39 Gun. For A Nice Paint Job You Need Good Mtl.s. John

Look here for someone else who took it upon themselves to try painting with great success

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #13
Hook'em

Here is a really good read regarding how to pic a paint and body shop.

Researching a body shop

Last edited by Hook'em; 08-10-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Hook'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #14
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Yep//......the painting is the easy part......its the body work that takes the experience!!!!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #15
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

ROFL... I go over to the shop today... Bed is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being the same color as the truck. I was LIVID to say the least

-Homer Simpson
Old 08-10-2006, 03:54 PM   #16
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray72

My bed is painted and honestly looks good. I expected no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray72
ROFL... I go over to the shop today... Bed is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being the same color as the truck. I was LIVID to say the least

Did you put it on the truck and it didn't match? I'd be pretty pissed too.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 08-10-2006 at 04:51 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #17
CMars45000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDude
You may know...My "Fired" painter did not weld up the cab gas filler hole and painted my truck that way. So now, I am left with sanding the new paint down, welding in the cab hole filler piece, and then the "New" painter say he can match it for me. Yes ...these painter issues suck. For me anymore, If it's not painted and done in a "reasonable" amount of time...he can F.O. pardon my language....and I'm out of there.

Sting...It will all work out.

For me....My next truck (68 SWB) I will be buying all the tools, HVLP gun and all, and painting it myself, whether I rent a booth, or turn my garage into a makeshift paint booth. My next buy is going to be a 210 Millermatic.

On thing I have noticed in working with paint and body shops all day long is that if you take a "resto" project to a production body shop, they are automatically under the impression that they have as much time as needed, especially if you say, "whenever you have a chance". That is exactly why I paint all my own stuff. When working with a body shop, it is imperative to have EVERYTHING written down and spelled out EXACTLY how you want it done. That way when they screw up, the F-up is on them and they should be obliged to fix it before they are payed a dime.

Having a cab painted before the tank filler being filled is a BIG deal in my book...

Chris

Vehicles/Projects:

-1971 C10 SWB Fleetside! Gathering parts now, will begin frame-off resto soon...

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
-Aristotle
CMars45000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #18
see ten
WTB this ad

My K10 stayed in a body shop for 14 months. I feel your pain! I have been using a guy in North west Georgia who is tip top (not the same one who painted my K10). He wont have you bring in your ride until he is ready to work on it. And of course everyone says their guy is good but I'm not going to say that. I did count 14 or 16 certificates and certifications hanging framed on his wall. They varied from the trade school where he graduated from to ASE to PPG certificates. I do believe there was more than one trophy in the office that read "Best Paint World of Wheels". There is a local magazine/trader called the Accelerator that always has some kind of custom rod or machine on the cover of it. I would be afraid to say how many of these cover vehicles he has done but I know the stack of magazines is at least a foot high. He has done a little work for me on everything in the yard! The color match is always dead on and he is very professional. As far as cash goes, the last thing I had him do was touch up a rocker on the C10 and I asked about how much extra it would cost to shoot some paint under the hood. He told me no extra cost. He charges right at $200 per day labor and what I wanted done wouldn't run an extra day. I know it sounds like a lot of $$$ but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. If you are willing to travel and want his # shoot me a PM. You wont be dissapointed.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #19
ChevyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMars45000
Having a cab painted before the tank filler being filled is a BIG deal in my book...

Oh you better believe it's a big deal! He is FIRED!!!, and I will never tell anyone that he painted my truck. My new painter in Longmont CO, is going to get all the credit. My inner fenders that he painted are exquisite...too bad I didn't find him first!

But FOR REAL...My next truck, a 68' SWB, will be painted by me. (I'm silently on the prowl for the right 68' shorty) As far as tools, I've got just about every other tool, might as well have a nice HVLP gun and a few sanding pieces.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:01 PM   #20
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

Good luck!!
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:01 PM   #21
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten
My K10 stayed in a body shop for 14 months. I feel your pain! I have been using a guy in North west Georgia who is tip top (not the same one who painted my K10). He wont have you bring in your ride until he is ready to work on it. And of course everyone says their guy is good but I'm not going to say that. I did count 14 or 16 certificates and certifications hanging framed on his wall. They varied from the trade school where he graduated from to ASE to PPG certificates. I do believe there was more than one trophy in the office that read "Best Paint World of Wheels". There is a local magazine/trader called the Accelerator that always has some kind of custom rod or machine on the cover of it. I would be afraid to say how many of these cover vehicles he has done but I know the stack of magazines is at least a foot high. He has done a little work for me on everything in the yard! The color match is always dead on and he is very professional. As far as cash goes, the last thing I had him do was touch up a rocker on the C10 and I asked about how much extra it would cost to shoot some paint under the hood. He told me no extra cost. He charges right at $200 per day labor and what I wanted done wouldn't run an extra day. I know it sounds like a lot of $$$ but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. If you are willing to travel and want his # shoot me a PM. You wont be dissapointed.
Any pics of his work??
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:29 PM   #22
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom dually
Any pics of his work??
I don't have any pics on file of complete vehicles he has done. But I do have some that he has had to match up and made look A1 again.

He painted all the white on this truck for me. All the glass and rubber was removed for painting. The doors and fenders also fit so badly they looked like they weren't closed. He was able to get them lookin right again. He also painted the drivers side rocker for me but I don't have a pic on file.

This truck got drunk and ran through a ditch and hit a mailbox (or a roadsign ). It pretty much ruined the hood passenger fender door and bedside.

I had some fine lines showing up on the tailgate and there was a couple cracks next to a stake pocket on the drivers side. He fixed it up and shot both of em.

This truck had been watersanded on the doors a "little" aggresively....primer was showing through the blue. You could tell the doors didn't match from about 100yds. He got him fixed up too!

Had a quarter sized ding above the wheel on this one.

Sorry I don't have any complete vehicles, but I know he does them. He just finished up a 67 Camaro convertible he has been working on for at least two or three months. He has a couple books full of completed cars that he has done.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote