The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
Phungki

Almost a roller

So last night we fit the new rearend and welded on the perches. I’ll be blasting and painting it tomorrow and installing in Saturday. Happy times indeed. So that brings me to the next stage. I have my donor engine and transmission already, SBC and auto transmission out of a late 70s Monte Carlo. There are lots of options as far mounting goes. So far I’ve found universal engine mounts that mounts between the frame rails or a crossmember that mounts between the rails that has the motor mounts on it. What have you guys used? What are your suggestions?
Attached Images

Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Almost a roller

Those universal crossmembers are the simplest to setup and use. I've done a few of them and never had a problem with them. Some don't like them because they say they make it harder to drop the pan if you have to drop the pan. that was the main complaint. The good along with being simple to install they add some structure back to the frame close to where the bellhousing crossmember is and may be "was". In time after that piece removed to put in an automatic the cab's weight pushes down on the frame mount brackets and the front of the cab settles until the cross brace finally lays on the frame and your hood doesn't fit and if you stand back 30+ feet the truck looks bent at the cowl. It happened on mine and I have seen it on a lot of others.

There isn't a thing wrong with those other mounts either though. Simple, clean and they leave the bottom side of the engine open.

I see that Chassis engineering INC has their 47/54 truck front mounts listed again after Heidts bought the company after the owner passed. https://chassisengineeringinc.com/pr...-pickup-truck/ I have a set of mounts they made to put the 292 in my 48 and they are nice units.

You can even buy a universal crossmember from Amazon with shipping included for 64.37 https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Quali...olet+Universal That makes the crossmember cost about 40.00 or less when you factor shipping.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
Phungki

Thank you very much. Just the kind of answer I was looking for. I’m not sure what I’m going to have to do to the stock trans crossmember yet. I’m sure I will have to cut it out or botch it. The new trans crossmember should add some rigidity as well.
Thank you
Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
mr48chev

I wish someone would come out with a bolt in tube crossmember to go under the automatic or "other "bellhousing in that spot to stiffen it when you take the stock unit out but to be easily removable if you have to work on the trans or clutch. I've seen photos of a couple of owner built ones that were probably the result of bad past experiences but no one sells one.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
jwhotrod

check with chassis engineering, I believe they do a dropout crossmember like you want. they are part of Heidt's engineering now but they have always built simple tough well engineered stuff.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote