The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #1
halfstep

Tamco paint

Opinions, experience, etc. regarding Tamco paint and or recommendations on paint preferences.
All the shops/painters I've spoken with promote PPG, but the shop i'm inclined to have paint my truck says they like Tamco paint.
The painter worked at a respected shop for 26 years and is now semi-independent. Their position is that PPG is great, but for many people cost was an issue and once they tried Tamco they were very surprised by it and haven't had a reason to go back.
I think they'd use what I request, but I'm reluctant to ask a professional to use something other than what they prefer.
Have not found much info on the internet, but I spoke with them (Tamco) and they were very open - not that I know anything about paint.
halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
suville

Re: Tamco paint

Another option and Ive had good experience with is Kirker I have used the epoxy, 2K fill prime and Hot Rod Flat black on my pickup frame and am pleased. The only restriction is you cant get factory colors they have their own color selection. I had to use Nason in order to get 503 Lt. Green and still had to tweek that. Hope this gives you some option
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
halfstep

Thanks for the input. I'll mention that to them. Cost, unless it's ridiculous or wasteful isn't my #1 concern.
I hope your green works out - I like that color and am pleased when I hear of or see another green. There used to be a lot more greens.
I'm trying to stay close to my original 506 Dark Olive metallic. Many colors I've seen depart just enough from the original that those of us that experienced these cars/trucks "in the day" can tell an off color quickly.
The pro's have been telling me it's not necessarily the color formula, but is base coat/clear coat vs laquer or cheap factory enamel and low/finer metallics vs more pearl and bigger metallic now...
Old 06-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
MolsonCanadian

I've never painted before (other than the primer). I'm using Sangria Red from Tamco and their 4100 clear. I love it. Its lays down great, I'm getting full coverage with 2-3 coats.
MolsonCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
halfstep

Thanks for the feedback.
Sounds like you were pleasantly surprised by the paint?
So would you say 2-3 coats is normal or better than average for full coverage?
Thanks.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:08 PM   #6
Macdaddy1

My painter just switched over to Tamco paints and loves it. My 65 step is being painted with it and so far it looks great.
Macdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #7
halfstep

Thanks for the input Mac.
I hope your project/paint go well.
It's really helpful to get legitimate feedback - especially on products without a lot of visibility.
btw - go steps!
Old 06-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
MolsonCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfstep View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
Sounds like you were pleasantly surprised by the paint?
So would you say 2-3 coats is normal or better than average for full coverage?
Thanks.
Since I've not painted before, I'm not sure if its better than average. But yes, I am very happy with their products.
MolsonCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
Macdaddy1

Tamco also carries a chassis paint that looks great and has a high gloss and an underhood paint for the inner fenders and such that has a satin finish. Both look great.
Macdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
ChadW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdaddy1 View Post
Tamco also carries a chassis paint that looks great and has a high gloss and an underhood paint for the inner fenders and such that has a satin finish. Both look great.
Im painting my chassis/suspension with their chassis paint right now...It is 90% gloss and has rust inhibitors included in it as well..I like it, seems like good stuff, and is a DTM paint..
ChadW is offline   Reply With Quote