The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #476
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
On their website, if you click on the Quality link, Tabco states they use OEM thickness steel. The problem won't be the thickness so much, although that's a factor. The real issue with floor panels is that most are made to lay over the existing area. They aren't formed as a replacement panel with a pinchweld lip that mates to the firewall. Instead, vendors assume the whole area is rotted out so they extend a flat piece up and over the toe board at the bottom of the firewall. Many guys just tack weld or screw the replacement panel to the existing floor, slather seam sealer around the edges, cover it with carpet and call it good. The fact that the underside is rotted and hanging down doesn't enter into the equation.

On my '68, I took careful measurements and cut across the top of the repro panel, then put a ninety degree lip on it using the sheetmetal brake. I cut the spotwelds on the firewall pinchweld, cleaned the lip and mated it to the newly formed lip on the replacement panel. Then spotwelded them together. Lotsa work, but I never found a source for an actual replacement panel. And unfortunately, the floor pans won't be the only pieces with fitment issues...
Thanks Vic! I sure don't want to drop a replacement panel on top of the existing floor, I'll cut out the bad stuff and patch it in.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #477
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Any sheetmetal from outside the US (that means almost all of it) will have been rolled to thickness in millimeters, not tenths/thousandths of an inch (or gauge) so unless it's a lucky accident, the thickness of original and aftermarket sheet will be slightly different.

They don't have steel mills in Taiwan rolling out metal to meet US scpec, and they aren't buying the steels from the US.

That said, if you take the time to cut a section of original and aftermarket metal dress an edge and measure, they'll be pretty close in most cases.
Thanks for the info Franken! and welcome to my thread.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-09-2014, 10:23 PM   #478
swamp rat

I followed Vic's advice and removed the outer cowel sections instead of trying to remove the whole cowl, i knew it wasn't going to be pretty but i wasn't expecting a gaping hole in the seam, knew the seams were rusty but....

This is one job where i really wish i had a shrinker and stretcher! but its not in the budget, not sure how i'm gonna form some of these pieces yet.

Haven't looked at it yet but tomorrow i'm gonna try and pull the dash, no idea if they bolt on and off or welded in...
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #479
gdavis

Vic is a good man, he want steer you wrong. I had to ask his stuff in the pass. Good luck with the project.

Cars I owned in the past.
1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev
1967 Chevelle SS - 1969 Chevelle SS - 1972 Chevelle SS

1967 Buick electra 225 1995 Harley Davidson bager

What does not kill you will make you stronger

1968 c10 short wheel base stepper
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #480
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
Vic is a good man, he want steer you wrong. I had to ask his stuff in the pass. Good luck with the project.
I've read both of Vic's threads, nothing short of impressive!

I hope you find a windshield guy that understands these trucks pretty soon!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #481
Molberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Thanks for the door tips!

If i have to go up to the body line on the door, would you recommend cutting right on the sharp bend or just above or below it by a given amount?
I'd keep above or below the feature line minimum 3-4" if you can IMO. Stitch weld slow. I seldom use the entire patch panel. Trace, cut and trim panel to fit whats needed. I had to use the entire cab corner. Previous owner had a set brazed in. Warping was real bad. Not fun doin bodywork inside the features on the rear of the cab. I'm by no means a pro.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607359
Molberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #482
Molberg

Nice progress btw...

Old 07-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #483
swamp rat

Today i got the dash out, i took my time to try and leave as much meat on the dash flange as possible, then i broke out my acid respirator and filled a spray bottle with Muratic acid and doused everything i could with the stuff, i didn't continually reapply it, really didn't have time today. hosed it all off about 4 hours later. I got to say i absolutely love that respirator and would never do any acid work without it, tried it once and felt the after affects for about 3 days.. duh

I know this is no substitute for sand blasting, just want to get the rust in check and this is the first step. still need to do the rockers but this cab is still on my trailer and the side rails are kinda in the way, need to prop it up on some timbers, that will continue next week, i need a fun weekend..

Here's a couple pic's, first the inside where the dash mounts, note its rusted thru just below the antenna hole, least i think that is the antenna hole, i just noticed the same hole on the other side. And a couple pic's of the rain gutter, dirty but 99.98% still sealed.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #484
swamp rat

Oh, I ordered a set of floor pans today, the place i ordered from ( in Wa. ) said they only stock what they use, usually Tri Plus, Key Parts or Dayco, he said what they have in stock right now is Dayco so that what i'll be getting.

First I called the place i ordered the other panels from when i got the 20% discount, all he could tell me was they were made overseas, couldn't tell me what brand at all so i decided to call elsewhere

He said they tried Tabco floor pans and they were really bad.. Humm, i know a Washington state guy that makes a side living on these trucks and he just posted that he liked the Tabco floor pans and a few other of their parts but not the rockers.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #485
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molberg View Post
Nice progress btw...
Thanks again for the comps and advice!

If any of you see something i could do differently that may be better I'm all ears, I'm just learning as i go.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #486
swamp rat

Last post for a bit, Earlier I posted here on the forum and the local Facebook page looking for a patch panel for around the heater and drip rail, had one no luck hit on this forum, but within about 3 hours i had a positive hit on Facebook, he lives about 15 minutes from me, grabbed a few tools and took off, came home with this, still not perfect but i think between the two i can make a good part.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #487
Dean'smeanmachine

nice find!

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #488
swamp rat

Back on post 483 i mentioned i needed a fun weekend, had a great time but it was HOT! road the bikes down to Eastern Oregon on Friday with a bunch of friends and came back on Sunday, About 8 hours each way when you include gas stops and lunch. Also took today off to catch up on my rest and run some errands, back to the grind tomorrow..

Stopped and the transmission shop and the guy said they had to replace my tranny case, he said the inside where the packs ect engage were worn out, this was what was causing my tranny to bang when it was shifted into reverse, i had previously tried messing with the modulator with no luck. I didn't bother asking him about cost even tho it came to mind, it also raised a question about why he didn't call me about it first but i let it slide for now but hoping there won't be a B.S move on there part to screw me over..

Found this nice little chevy truck when in eastern oregon, kinda wished i could have driven it home!
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #489
Dean'smeanmachine

awesome truck!

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #490
gdavis

I like the rat mobil parked on the street. It looks home to me, good luck with the cowl repair

1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev

Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #491
cmabolt

that's a hell of parts truck. I wouldn't mind running that down to the store for some spark plugs!

Bummer about the tranny, but i guess it'll be right now. Nice to know what is wrong as apposed to wondering. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #492
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmabolt View Post
that's a hell of parts truck. I wouldn't mind running that down to the store for some spark plugs!

Bummer about the tranny, but i guess it'll be right now. Nice to know what is wrong as apposed to wondering. Keep up the good work.
Life go's on, i knew the tranny needed work, actually for a number of years but didn't have it done.

Still don't have the truck back from the shop, he said it should be done sometime today so i told him i'd probably have to pick it up Saturday.

Admittedly i haven't done anything all week, its been hot and have been enjoying a break, my feet and legs are thanking me!

I did get the floor pans Tuesday, still haven't opened the box yet.

I have been thinking about the other cab for the 67, thinking its probably a lot easier to run a Vintage air system than trying to rebuild and repair the stock setup, but i am not sure about all the firewall mods that would need to be done, don't want to spend a lot of time repairing the fan mount if its not necessary, not sure if it is necessary at this point. if anybody has or remembers a thread with an AC cab/Vintage air conversion i'd like to read about it, the Vintage air instructions didn't show the heater fan area in the firewall mod. I also need to find out if a Vintage air system will work with an Inline 6 250. My plan has been to rebuild the 6 on this truck.

Also debating if i should buy a system for my Rat, its non AC.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 07-18-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #493
NONHOG

Quote:
My plan has been to rebuild the 6 on this truck. (1)

Also debating if i should buy a system for my Rat, its non AC. (2)
1) Cool! something special about seeing a six still powering a classic.
2) Tough week to decide if you want air or not? LOL
Old 07-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #494
gdavis

looking good. It looks like you got a few broken springs on your seat. Too much pressure on that vise man. It must be all the mussels you have. When I was working on my firewall I remover the old heater box and plugged up the holes. I also will be adding a vintage heat and air in the future. I just don't want to be bothered with a old set up with old problems. Now all I need to do is drill two or three holes to run my lines inside the cab. Thinking ahead.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #495
swamp rat

The tranny shop called and left a message on my cell when i was driving to work yesterday, its done so i got to go get it tomorrow hopefully.

A question for all the bodymen around here:

I need to do rockers, floor, lower A pillars ect. also need to rebuild my hinges and do door repair.

Where should i start? Doors? or body? I'm guessing doors.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #496
Molberg

Start with door hinges for sure if needed. (Pins and bushings) that way your door is set solid when aligning your gaps. I did my doors last... Just because I had them on and off a dozen times and didn't want to risk damaging fresh doors. My lower skins were still intact so I had a line to go with.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #497
Vic1947

Quote:
I need to do rockers, floor, lower A pillars ect. also need to rebuild my hinges and do door repair. Where should i start? Doors? or body? I'm guessing doors.
IMO, if the doors are OEM and in relatively decent shape, I'd rebuild the hinges first, then re-install and adjust them to get nice gaps all around. Scribe lines to mark the hinge placement then remove a door and do the rockers and lower pillars on that side. Use the door as a guide to make sure the replacement pieces line up. Move to the other side and repeat. Do doors last.

If metal repair was previously attempted and butchered, all bets are off and the answer is, "It depends". You have to decide what to use as the base for the current repairs.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #498
Molberg

Quote:
IMO, if the doors are OEM and in relatively decent shape, I'd rebuild the hinges first, then re-install and adjust them to get nice gaps all around. Scribe lines to mark the hinge placement then remove a door and do the rockers and lower pillars on that side. Use the door as a guide to make sure the replacement pieces line up. Move to the other side and repeat. Do doors last.

If metal repair was previously attempted and butchered, all bets are off and the answer is, "It depends". You have to decide what to use as the base for the current repairs.
^^^ Vic nailed it

Old 07-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #499
swamp rat

Quote:

Thanks both Vic and Molberg!

As far as i know my truck is all original, my step dad bought it in the early to mid 70's, i got it from him.

I have the pins and bushings already so that's where I'll start, kinda wish i had an extra set of doors at times, i figure i should have mine media blasted. I wanna drive my truck for a bit too to check out the tranny rebuild.

Off to work i go.....

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #500
Vic1947

Quote:
As far as i know my truck is all original, my step dad bought it in the early to mid 70's, i got it from him.
That's amazing. We lived in Woodinville and I worked in Kirkland for almost two years back in the 90's. Our vehicles were wet all the time. Everything sort of melts into the ground up there. To have a truck in original condition in that part of the world is a minor miracle.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote