The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #1
HeavyHauler

Removing 2 piece driveshaft from 1968 Chevy C10 2wd

I am wanting to replace the U-joints and center support bearing on my 1968 Chevy C10 2wd shortbed. It is a original 396 with turbo 400 and it has the 2 piece driveshaft.

I have already removed the driveshaft which connects to the rear differential but now I am wondering how remove the center support bearing and get the front driveshaft to slide out of the transmission?

Here is a pic of the center support bearing and the splined shaft that is coming through it as I am wondering how do I go about removing them so i can take the shafts to a driveline shop to have the joints replaced.
Attached Images

HeavyHauler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:02 PM   #2
SkidmoreGarage

Re: Removing 2 piece driveshaft from 1968 Chevy C10 2wd

I think you did the hard part already, at least for me removing the rear section was a bit stuck.

To remove the front section, unbolt the carrier bearing from the cross member and slide the driveshaft out of the transmission. It may be a little stuck but should come out. Have a glove and zip tie or something else to put over the end of the transmission- even if you drained it. It will make a mess.

Once the driveshaft is free you can pull the carrier bearing off. A tip is to mark the driveshaft before disassembly, they are balanced from the factory and once you remove the splines and u joints- you lose the orientation for each segment.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
I think you did the hard part already, at least for me removing the rear section was a bit stuck.

To remove the front section, unbolt the carrier bearing from the cross member and slide the driveshaft out of the transmission. It may be a little stuck but should come out. Have a glove and zip tie or something else to put over the end of the transmission- even if you drained it. It will make a mess.

Once the driveshaft is free you can pull the carrier bearing off. A tip is to mark the driveshaft before disassembly, they are balanced from the factory and once you remove the splines and u joints- you lose the orientation for each segment.
Dang it. I already removed the rear drive shaft but not the front driveshaft so I guess I will still have to have the entire front and rear driveshafts balanced after I get the U-joints and carrier bearings replaced. Bummer.

Thanks for the information and tips!
Old 04-13-2021, 02:23 PM   #4
SkidmoreGarage

Don't sweat it too much, you are taking it to a shop. They can take a look at the balance when they get it assembled.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:48 PM   #5
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
Don't sweat it too much, you are taking it to a shop. They can take a look at the balance when they get it assembled.
That is good to know and thanks! I thought that they would need the entire vehicle there to do that.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:58 PM   #6
HeavyHauler

I just removed the front shaft and center support bearing. It wasnt that bad after all. Just had to shine a flashlight up there to discover there are 4 bolts that attach that beefy center bearing to the frame instead of just two.