The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #26
Gobbles

Re: The price of tools is killin me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyawo View Post
TL;DR: I like Snap On, I purposely broke a $180 ratchet and he is giving me a new one.
Don't break your tools man, thats just wasteful.

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #27
daytonagp4

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sold my snapon box to get a engagement ring and only got half what I origionally payed for it. and I threw in like 1000 dollars worth of specialty tools to make the deal. after that I stick to sears tools now, so I can still get the lifetime warrenty.
Tell me about it, I've been out of a job for 5 months and i wanted to get my truck done so i put my box for sale......it's a 3500 dollar box i was down to 1100 and still couldn't sell it!!! Glad i got a new job that pays a lot better!!! I get to keep my box!!
daytonagp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:33 PM   #28
Stitch
Account Suspended

I'm with Gyawo on this one...I couldn't ask for a better Snap On dealer...

shows up every week and only two of us in my shop...gives us great deals...he's given away a $10,000 box before...all you have to do is make your payment or buy something and you get an entry ticket into the raffle...he's very fair...He has taken more than one used beat up broken tool that I've bought elsewhere and replaced it under warranty...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #29
cableguy0

I'm the only one in my shop that buys from snap on. The other guys dont really buy from anyone but thats besides the point. My snap on guy comes every monday like clock work. I keep a running balance on the truck like most of us do but hes always offering deals and specials etc. He replaces anything no questions asked. I know im paying way too damn much for tools but he delivers and isnt an @ss so he makes sales.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:05 AM   #30
60ratrod
yes, i do

i really don't like snap-on, but then again the navy has kinda ruined me on them. we get their crappy government contract tools that don't last and always break or fall apart on the job. i've had to replace too many snap-on tools. i'll stick with my craftsman for wrenching on my vehicles. for those in the market for ratcheting wrenches i would stay away from the craftsmans, the wratcheting mechanism isn't that good. but then again i haven't tried the evo line yet

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #31
65Gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ratrod View Post
i really don't like snap-on, but then again the navy has kinda ruined me on them. we get their crappy government contract tools that don't last and always break or fall apart on the job. i've had to replace too many snap-on tools. i'll stick with my craftsman for wrenching on my vehicles. for those in the market for ratcheting wrenches i would stay away from the craftsmans, the wratcheting mechanism isn't that good. but then again i haven't tried the evo line yet
I think the only problem with the open end/box end ratcheting wrenches is if you try to use them on a fastener that is real tight or put too much torque trying to tighten one. I have had mine for quite some time without any issues. The key is use them within their limits, if it takes a lot of force to break something loose use the open end then use the boxend/ratchet to remove it.

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #32
Gyawo

Quote:
Don't break your tools man, thats just wasteful
It is not wasteful when I get a brand new 80 tooth 1/2" ratchet for the used 30 tooth I bought from him.
Gyawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #33
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I use Craftsman or Mac Tools. I got a tubing bender from the Mac Tools guy. It's made out of some sort of synthetic injected molded stuff. I looked at and said, "That'll surely break." He said... "Good luck trying to break that bender. If ya do, bring it back for replacement."

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote