The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2019, 07:06 PM   #1
8man

HELP - bent window frame

I got the driver's door welded up, all the new parts fit into it, ONLY to find the frame is bent. If you follow the straight edge up you will see the two parting ways.

IMG_2187 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

So I started checking and here is where the bend is.

IMG_2188 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

You can barely see the ripples where it is bent in. I have it on the cab, and it is hitting the cab before it closes all the way. If I push the door in about an inch to where it would latch, it looks like it will adjust out nicely if it weren't hitting the cab because of this bend!

HOW dd I fix this?

I thought about using a cut off wheel, cutting into the frame, bending it out until it matches the other door as best as I an and then welding it all back up, BUT I just don't know.

Thanks.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: HELP - bent window frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man View Post
I got the driver's door welded up, all the new parts fit into it, ONLY to find the frame is bent. If you follow the straight edge up you will see the two parting ways.

You can barely see the ripples where it is bent in. I have it on the cab, and it is hitting the cab before it closes all the way. If I push the door in about an inch to where it would latch, it looks like it will adjust out nicely if it weren't hitting the cab because of this bend!

HOW dd I fix this?

I thought about using a cut off wheel, cutting into the frame, bending it out until it matches the other door as best as I an and then welding it all back up, BUT I just don't know.

Thanks.

if the bottom side from the window frame down is fitting nicely, someone probably bent the door with it off the truck, its pretty common, mine had this problem too on the side I replaced the door. what I did, and my admittedly limited advice would be, was just get a block of wood, put it at the top of the door jamb, and shut the door gently, pushing in on the bottom side of the door to move the upper part out. it took a few minutes, no ill effects.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
b-mac

I was going to say the exact same thing.

Block of wood between the cab and door, and start shutting the door.

Obviously, be gentle on the cab.

I just did this a few weeks ago.

I hope this is what you're asking.

If it's bent out instead of in, I would imagine you could do the opposite. Get it off the truck and on the ground. I'd probably put something soft under the main body of the door, then a block of wood under the outer most bent corner of the window frame, and start putting my body weight on the area where the window frame and main part of the door meet.

Go slow...be patient.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
sack54

Back in the day. That was one of the adjustments used to fix a poor fitting door
Top or bottom ,Straight from the factory.
sack54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
joedoh

it still is! my father in law was a NVH guy for a chevy dealer and he taught me how to fix wind noise on a car/truck with door frames that overlap a seal, he put an old tire in the door jamb (back of the door by the latch) with rags to protect the paint, and pushed on the front edge of the window frame, making it sit tighter on the seal when shut.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote