The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
WorkinLonghorn

Clutch Alignment tool; Where to find.

Having a small shop put in my crate 195 HP 350 but the guy can't find his clutch alignment tool. Autozone doesn't stock, Pep Boys no,Oriely's is sending an email to somebody. Checked some independent stores and they all tell me the same story "Dorman stopped making them and so did "Motorman(??)" <- sounds like that to me.
I need to find one of these pronto so that he can install my motor! I know it's 10 spine but not sure on the diameter (NP 435 w/12" clutch). Anybody know where to get this tool? Thanks! -BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
Willys_MB

Re: Clutch Alignment tool; Where to find.

When I rebuilt my motor I bought a new clutch kit from Rock Auto. My clutch alignment tool didn't fit my NP435, so I used the plastic one that came with the kit. It worked perfectly!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1144370&jsn=1
Old 12-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
weim55

I've done dozens of clutch installs on various chevy trucks '48 - '87 and never used an alinement tool on any of 'em. Very easy to do without, here's how it's done:

There are 3 'windows' around the circumference of the pressure plate where you can see the clutch disc as it mates to the pressure plate. Pressure plate diameter will be almost exactly the same size as clutch disc. Install the assy. on the flywheel loosely but tight enough to hold the disc in place with the ability to adjust the disc to the plate. Looking at the disc through each of the 3 windows make the disc dead nuts the same all the way around to the pressure plate with the naked eye. Tighten the pressure plate to the flywheel and you are done.

Procedure works perfect everytime. I never use an alinement tool on any vehicle unless there are no 'windows' on the pressure plate.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #4
AussieinNC

Make sure the shop has installed the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft....

Leaving it out will cause issues with clutch control and could damage the transmission....

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:46 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I'm in Simi Valley, and have that tool (I think it is the right one), but you can do it like Mr Weim says, as well. I've done it that way when the tool wasn't available. Expecting to use the tool and just stabbing it in is OK, but I question this mechanic's skill if he can't get around not having that tool.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #6
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Having a small shop put in my crate 195 HP 350 but the guy can't find his clutch alignment tool. Autozone doesn't stock, Pep Boys no,Oriely's is sending an email to somebody. Checked some independent stores and they all tell me the same story "Dorman stopped making them and so did "Motorman(??)" <- sounds like that to me.
I need to find one of these pronto so that he can install my motor! I know it's 10 spine but not sure on the diameter (NP 435 w/12" clutch). Anybody know where to get this tool? Thanks! -BA

I've had my Lisle alignment tool for probably 50 years.. It even works to install and remove pilot bearings.. Lisle still makes it so you can probably find it at NAPA or just about any parts store that handles Lisle, so here ya go

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-...alignment-tool
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #7
wpavlis

LMC sells the plastic one for $3

https://www.lmctruck.com/1967-72-che...tch-components
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
Sheepdip

Last one I did was for a T5 tranny to a Flathead V8 and since I had all the parts I just turned one out on my lathe from aluminum. I would think a local machine shop with dimensions provided could help you.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:26 PM   #9
tj1970cst

Like they said, eyeball it. If it doesn't stab, you can try to depress the clutch while stabbing. Some transmissions this would be hard to do.

An old input shaft works best. Maybe ask a transmission shop if they have one kicking around the scrap bin.

I think I have used a socket with the right taper and an extension in the past as well.
tj1970cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
WorkinLonghorn

OK thanks guys. He says he has one coming in from a friend that might work.
I'm glad at this point that it is him doing this and not me working on my slanted driveway. He is putting an engine into the truck which has the transmission in place. So he has to have it aligned and I guess he has to be really slow and careful. It did come with a pilot bearing.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote